[Gauging Interest ] Possible Tournaments

@Leontes were there any plans to run IYL again in the next few months?

Oh, yeah, it is getting to be that time of year again, isnā€™t it.

2 IYLs per year sounds even greater :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™ll try to squeeze another SCS in before the new year too, as this oneā€™s getting towards wrapping up.

3 Likes

If IYL starts in the new year, that should leave room for another tournament between now and then too. :slight_smile: Personally would love to see another Lumā€™s Lucky Lottery, tbh.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s a fun one too. Who ran the last one? I might be able to take that on. Having AutoTO up and running means that actually running a tournament isnā€™t too much work for me.

2 Likes

I think @MysticDeadman ran the last LLL.

2 Likes

Would be mighty fine if LLL were run as a long form tournament rather than a one-day affair. Thatā€™s what I would say if I were the type of person to talk obliquely.

Wasnā€™t it long form last time too? Or maybe it was but someone also ran it as a one day thing?

I think so, I just like to emphasize my preference since Iā€™m greedy about playing as much Yomi as possible. :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to suggest that Lumā€™s Lucky Lottery could use the tournament format that EricF came up with for Codex tournaments; in short, a swiss-style format except that players are eliminated if they lose a total of three matches. The winner is the last player standing.

The main benefits of this are that every participant is guaranteed a minimum of three matches worth of randomness and that unlike a normal swiss tournament, the elimination will shrink the player pool over time until only the best players are left, so the last few matches are much more climactic than in swiss,

One thing Iā€™ve seen that could be considered a downside is that the same players can face each other multiple times as the pool shrinks, but with random characters that should be mitigated since matchups are unlikely to repeat. Because of this, I think LLL might be the best format to merge these rules into.

3 Likes

Hmm. I like the Single Showdowb more or whatever its called since I prefer to stick to my guns!:muscle:t3:! :ox::muscle:t3:

1 Like

Lucky Lottery is a more fun format than Long Odds IMO, but Iā€™m hungry for new tournaments, so Iā€™m not very hard to please.

Edit: A rerun of Persephoneā€™s Pick Your Poison would also be great.

2 Likes

I would definitely love to see Persephoneā€™s Pick Your Poison make a reappearance!

1 Like

That one was where each player got to pick from a selection of good/bad/even matchups, right?

1 Like

So, I now have a wealth of (maybe correct) data on matchup values. Iā€™m curious about how folks would feel about a tournament that restricted the matchups being played to only those in the 4.5 - 5.5 range, and then had one player select the MU and the other player select the side. I think thatā€™s similar to Pick-Your-Poison, but Iā€™m not sure how the MUs were picked for that tournament.

5 Likes

Iā€™d be down! I donā€™t think that @Dietz ever made his MU selection criteria public. I would suspect that he picked MUs based on his own experience and discussion with some of the other members of DRB at the time, maybe informed by the historical information that had been collected to date.

2 Likes

I think that sounds like an excellent idea.

3 Likes