[Yomi] Forums Quick Matches - Sign Ups Always Open!

Seems like having a delayed start is no bad thing, since the signups are still coming in.

3 Likes

Ok, just sent out the first round of matches. I expect to post weekly standing posts in this thread as well, But the matchup threads will have to do for now.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I didn’t sign up for this! I sign up for most everything. Can I play beginning next week?

1 Like

Absolutely!

1 Like

So, just to clarify, we are supposed to report match results here? Or will there be a separate thread?

Yeah, just report matches here. No need for a separate thread.

1 Like

Week 1

Zqxx v @vengefulpickle

3-2

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::persephone: This goes well for me!

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::persephone: This goes poorly for me.

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::persephone: Before the set, I clarified with @vengefulpickle that I should take this game ~ seriously ~, so instead of staying on :argagarg: the whole time, I dutifully switch to my :persephone: CP. I proceed to win with a perfect and then immediately apologize for playing :setsuki:.

:setsuki::pschip::psfist::setsuki: Wackiness ensues. @vengefulpickle makes it very clear to me that I still have much to learn about the ways of the ninja.

:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki: Even more wackiness ensues. I go way too low hand in the early game trying to spin a dQ that was already winning combat with Glimpse (@vengefulpickle countered my first 10*, and my brain decided to ignore everything it knows about the sunk cost fallacy and played my second so that the resources I had spent so far wouldn’t be β€œwasted” :joy:). After that, it was a really tense game where I had to make a lot of nerve-wracking and risky plays to claw my way to a winnable state.

Very fun set! I guess this means we have the distinction of being the first forum quick match played and reported?

4 Likes

Okay time for the inaugural report EDIT: oh shit I got sniped

Me vs. variable

I win (barely) 3-2

:chibionimaru: :pschip::psfist: :chibiquince: I randomed into Oni, who I already hate playing, and I don’t like this matchup for Oni either. Add to that a bunko hand and it was a recipe for a beat down.
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibiquince: I actually don’t even remember this game, for good reason.
:chibivendetta: :pschip::psfist: :chibiquince: I was kind of surprised when variable repicked Quince, since I had ended the previous game with 50 life or so. Well, it worked out for him, in a knock-down drag-out war where I played all four acros and didnt guess right on the post-acro turns even once. It ended up being a race at the end where it was 8 life to 18 and I needed to make something happen, since he had one card left in his deck. Whoops, forgot about the 2, gg
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibiquince: a perfect, I think? First time I drew a K in my opening hand, so I went H.A.M. with it
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibigloria: not quite a perfect, as I took 2 chip.

Good games, Quince is exhausting.

7 Likes

@FenixOfTheAshes vs. @JonnyD

:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

Fenix wins 3-1

The games have kinda blended together in my mind since they’re all Mene-Grave but I got pretty ridiculous draws overall. Most memorable moment was when I got silent DSD only for Jonny to use Martial Mastery the very next turn, though I still landed it a while later. Another game I did a turn 1 bK6AA combo. In yet another game I got 3 silent Aces, powered up for the last, and dodged to DSD. Props to Jonny for being such a good sport, GGs.

9 Likes

β€œJust draw all of your good cards” - β€œJonny D” Jonny β€œJonny D” D, 2018

6 Likes

I’ve been out of this game for far too long and it’s about time I got back into it. Count me in.

3 Likes

snoc vs @Hobusu

:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :degrey: perfect!
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki: ow
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki: closed out with a MASSIVE 39 damage J6K++AA combo.
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki: perfect again! drawing 4 Qs in the top 20 cards is pretty good it seems

GGs Hobusu! Those were fun games, at the high speed you’d expect from a bunch of Setsuki mirrors.

7 Likes

MR vs @Ivan 1-3

:grave::psfist::pschip::degrey:
:grave::pschip::psfist::midori:

I barely won only first game, through a last combat raw TPoS (i was down 19 hp vs 37hp), then I always had the feeling that Ivan led the games with great skill and right choices.

Great set mate!
Maybe sometimes I’ll succeed in winning against you…but not this time!

5 Likes

Arthur Wynne VS Attillian

:grave: :psfist::knockdown: :lum: Drew lots of good stuff, but the game was still close. Ended on TPOS
:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :lum: Drew slightly less well, didn’t land TPOS, game still very close. Ended on time (!)
:argagarg::psfist: :knockdown::lum: The obvious counterpick also happens to be one of my better characters.
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist: :zane: Zane did Zane things, and the fish was a little too chicken.
:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :zane: I was super aggressive with a hand consisting mostly of high normals, and landed haymakers left and right. Then just as I ran out of gas, Zane landed Creator and Destroyer on a very face-up block and refilled my hand with 77JJQQQ. By then he was wise to my β€œrange” and closed a 50-or-so point life lead down to 13 vs 7 with lots of Crash Bombs, but he didn’t count on the third Q.

Final score 3-2, great end to a great set!

7 Likes

I just sent out the Week 2 matches. I’ve also built and made use of the dropout functionality to take myself of the roster for the week, because I need to get my sleep back into a reasonable range. That does unfortunately mean that one other person has to sit out, because we have an even number of participants, but I promise that the matchmaking is set up so that if you’ve played fewer games than everyone else, your matches get priority, so whoever is sitting out shouldn’t have to sit out 2 weeks in a row.

Week 2 standings

Bronze League

• ArthurWynne: :star:
  • FenixOfTheAshes: :star:
  • Ivan: :star:
  • Niijima-san: :star:
  • Zqxx: :star:
  • flagrantangles: :star:
  • snoc: :star:
  • Attilian:
  • Castanietzsche:
  • FaceOnMars:
  • Hobusu:
  • JonnyD:
  • MR75:
  • TokH:
  • variable:
  • vengefulpickle (inactive):

Week 2 matches

FaceOnMars/Hobusu
FaceOnMars ─┐
            β”œβ”€
Hobusu β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
TokH/JonnyD
TokH ───┐
        β”œβ”€
JonnyD β”€β”˜
FenixOfTheAshes/flagrantangles
FenixOfTheAshes ━┓
                 ┑━ FenixOfTheAshes ─┐
JonnyD β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜                   β”‚
                                     β”œβ”€
flagrantangles ━━┓                   β”‚
                 ┑━ flagrantangles β”€β”€β”˜
Castanietzsche β”€β”€β”˜
Ivan/Niijima-san
Ivan ━━━━━━━━┓
             ┑━ Ivan ────────┐
MR75 β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜               β”‚
                             β”œβ”€
variable ────┐               β”‚
             ┒━ Niijima-san β”€β”˜
Niijima-san ━┛
Attilian/Castanietzsche
Attilian ───────┐
                β”œβ”€
Castanietzsche β”€β”˜
Zqxx/ArthurWynne
vengefulpickle ─┐
                ┒━ Zqxx ────────┐
Zqxx ━━━━━━━━━━━┛               β”‚
                                β”œβ”€
Attilian ───────┐               β”‚
                ┒━ ArthurWynne β”€β”˜
ArthurWynne ━━━━┛
variable/MR75
variable ─┐
          β”œβ”€
MR75 β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
6 Likes

Heh, nice, apparently the magic algorithm has had me sit out the week when I’m most busy and would probably have had to take a bye anyway.

3 Likes

Week 2: Hobusu vs @FaceOnMars

:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :chibilum:
:chibisetsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :lum:

Hobusu 3 – FaceOnMars 1
Hobusu Wins!

That was a fun set! One thing I tried to take advantage of was something @mysticjuicer had noted during his commentary on Rooks vs The World (which I’ve been rewatching recently on a whim) – Lum’s throws are really weak, so any turn I wanted to just avoid damage I just dodged or occasionally blocked, and doing that multiple turns in a row was a good way to force him to add more throws into his range than Lum would normally be happy with. I did still need to land throws of my own to prevent him just blocking forever, and any time he stuffed my throws with a normal into a bunch of face cards hurt… One amusing thing was that he flipped a Joker once with Roll the Dice and once on Blackjack (after already flipping something else first).

Good games, and I look forward to another match soon!

8 Likes

JonnyD vs @TokH

:gloria::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:gloria::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:gloria::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:grave::psfist::pschip::setsuki:

JonnyD wins 3-1!

Thanks for the games man and the post match games/ discussion too. GGs.

6 Likes

ArthurWynne vs Zqxx

:midori: :knockdown::psfist: :argagarg: I get off to a good start, but the fish takes the long haul.
:midori: :knockdown::psfist: :argagarg: The fish is in my head! Argagarg, get it out!
:argagarg::psfist::knockdown::argagarg: Maybe you would like to see… how FISHLIKE I can be!
:argagarg: :knockdown: :psfist::setsuki: Almost had the fishy comeback, but made the wrong call on the last turn Blowfish Spikes mixup! Great end to a great set.

Final result, 1-3, Zqxx wins!

6 Likes

C-658VsXoAo3ovC

8 Likes