Flash Duel Counter Conflicts

How do you resolve conflicts with cards? Is it the latest skill used? For example:|

Vendetta’s Stunlock:
Opponent retreats from your dashing strike ->
That opponent discards a card and skips their next turn (they don’t have to recover after that)

Gloria’s Ray of Hope:
You retreat from a dashing strike ->
On your next turn, you don’t have to recover but you can’t attack or dashing strike.

Does Gloria’s Ray of Hope trump Vendetta’s turn skip? Or does she still skip a turn?
Also to clear up, does a turn skip mean you don’t draw to full?

1 Like

To strictly answer those questions, Page 2&3 of the rulebook are your friends.
First page 3 says, “If you could use an ability at the same moment as your opponent could use one of theirs, the player whose turn it is acts first.”
Second, Page 2 says “When an opponent retreats, they must recover on their next turn. They can’t take any actions or play any abilities on a turn while they’re recovering except to draw back to up to 5 cards.”
The way I am reading the situation is that Vendetta’s ability will always trigger first. The reasoning is he will have to be the one attacking for Gloria to respond, thus is should be his turn. Does that mean Gloria’s ability is useless in this situation and she shouldn’t use it? I think this is the case, as Stunlock doesn’t require Gloria to recover, and that’s the only benefit of Ray of Hope. She will be skipping her turn anyhow and will be a card short since she cannot draw at the end of her skipped turn.
The situation would look something like this: it’s Vendetta’s turn (any abilities he triggers will happen first) and he dashing strikes. Gloria decides to retreat from it. One of two instances can happen; Vendetta can announce Stunlock first, in which case Gloria is out of luck, or Gloria can announce Ray of Hope first, then Vendetta has the option of countering it or not, assuming it is still active. I think the only way Gloria could use this ability without fear of being countered, in this particular matchup, is if Vendetta already used Stunlock.
Oh, this is assuming 1v1. There may be some other strange interactions in games with more than 2 players, like teams or Raid mode. Regardless, using the above rules, you should be able to work through it.
I know the forums are not nearly as active as Yomi and Codex, so there are not many answers to ability interactions like this. With what, 68? (Including Deathstrike Dragon) different abilities, there will be some wonky interactions. I’ve not played Flash Duel nearly as much as I’d like, so if I’m read the situation wrong, someone with a bit more experience may correct me.
Edit: Forgot to specifically answer the skip turn question. I thought adding the recovery bit from the rulebook would answer it, but then I read my reply and it didn’t, so here it is.
If you skip a turn you do not get to end of the turn, and thus you don’t draw back to 5 cards, because it just didn’t happen. Vendetta is mean like that.

1 Like

Thank you. I wasn’t expecting a reply this quick, or even a reply at all. I think Flash Duel is criminally underrated, as I was the one who posted the more recent discussion to as to why it didn’t catch on.

It seems that you’re a very confident source for solving wonky game mechanics so I hope you’ll be receptive to more incoming questions as my group is starting to play this game a lot and some tense (but friendly) arguments have started to come up about certain card interactions.

Thanks again!

1 Like

How does the revive rule work with Zane’s landmine? In 2v2, is the enemy hit by the mine considered dead until the ally lands on his tile? If Zane pushes the hit enemy past the mine then continues on to push his ally, they both land on the same tile, so is the hit enemy revived immediately?

There are no other rules I can find that talk about this revival.

I’m sure I wouldn’t have to look hard for a quote involving there being a thin line between confidence and foolishness; I’m sure I’ve been wrong more often than I’ve been correct. I’ve just spent enough time lurking on the Sirlin Games forums for all the games, I’m beginning to think I like reading rulebooks and understanding mechanics than I do actually spending time playing games. It’s a solid community, which is why I like hanging out here. I happened to see your question and thought I could field it.

As for your Zane’s Landmine question, you’re right that there isn’t anything else that talks about revival. Most cards breaks the rules somehow, and unless too many people question it, it doesn’t get answered in a FAQ. This is worthy of one though. First, I need to backtrack a moment.

I’ll start by saying I stand by my earlier answer to your first question in that Vendetta will always act first since he is the attacker. However, my example was flawed and I didn’t realize it until after sleeping on it. Vendetta does NOT have the option of reacting to Gloria’s ability retroactively. The rule states “the player who’s turn it is acts first.” Step by step it would go like:

1. Vendetta dashing strikes
  2. Timing trigger for dashing strike abilities activates
  3. Vendetta is first in choosing actions because it is his turn. He may active Stunlock. He may also choose first to NOT act on this timing trigger.
  4. Next player (Gloria in this case, but this would also help solve weird 3 or more player questions) chooses next. She may or may not activate Ray of Hope.(I think it would be a waste if Stunlock is active though, because Gloria skips her next turn. I think this fits Vendetta’s MO, as he’s an assassin that cripples his opponent then strikes for the win. If Stunlock isn’t active, then it would be viable as an option.)
  5. Vendetta discards his played cards then draws back to five. Note, he does NOT get to respond to Gloria’s choice of playing or not playing Ray of Hope because that timing trigger has already happened.

Ok, with that clarified, I think some of the wonky situations I was thinking of in multiplayer gets exponentially easier. Like the Landmine problem. Let’s tackle (lol, Shoulder Ram, get it?) that.

Yes, for all intents and purposes, whomever lands on or is pushed by the landmine is dead (hit). If both team members manage to hit it at the same time, Zane’s team wins. We’ll focus on just one team member hitting it, then show how multiple people could hit it. Say Grave and Jaina are that team and Grave hits the landmine. Normally his token would be immediately removed from the board, never to return. Because of the revive stipulation, you could just put his token beside the space where the landmine was, or the space he would have landed on if he was pushed. The landmine is removed from play immediately and play continues on like normal. If Jaina ever lands on that same space that Grave’s token is next to, he would be back in the game and take his turn again when appropriate.

I think that’s where you are confused, maybe.

If we look at the timing of everything in order, I don’t think this is possible. Say the spaces looks something like this: Landmine, Jaina, Grave, Zane. The exact number between the landmine, Jaina and Grave doesn’t really matter, as long as Zane is standing next to Grave. It’s Zane’s turn so he has two options regarding the landmine. He can Push Grave into the landmine, OR potentially Shoulder Ram them both into it.

If he Pushes Grave, Jaina isn’t affected and play continues like the above paragraph. He wouldn’t have time to immediately Push Jaina back to Grave’s (dare I say grave?) token space Now, if Jaina plays her turn and Zane chooses to push her back on the same space, yes, that would revive Grave. Not the best move for Zane, but it’s an option.

The other option, which would totally be Zane, is that he could try and Shoulder Ram Grave and Jaina into the landmine. After typing out a paragraph about how he could blow them all up, including himself if he got unlucky, I checked the rulebook FAQ and this situation is addressed. Basically, Grave and Jaina would get hit first by the landmine but Zane would be fine. I don’t think that means Zane is immune to it if he lands on it first, but it covers the Shoulder Ram aspect and makes it a rather powerful combo.

I think that covers all the options. I don’t mean to complicate things, but breaking timing down can get detailed.
Next time a rules question comes up, remember timing is everything. Heck, I misread that important timing rule and got more confused. Once I realized that, any other complications that crop up, I think I could walk though. I think I understood your confusion, but if this didn’t help, give me the exact situation that’s the problem and we can work on it from there.

It does want make me want to play Zane now and do that exact combo. It’s powerful, but not overly so. If your opponent knows what you’re going to doing something obvious, they can play around it. And if Zane blows through two abilities in one turn and it doesn’t work out, he’ll be crippled the rest of the round. Interesting stuff to think about, so thanks for asking the question!

1 Like

A reminder that players can only play one ability per turn, so you have to set it up in advance.

1 Like