First Codex Games - Impressions

[quote=“EricF, post:27, topic:716”]
how bad the Anarchy is at Tech II
[/quote]This is a weird claim to make. I think Anarchy T2 is pretty strong. The amount of hasty, stealthy damage it can field at reasonable prices is pretty darn good.

I’d almost reverse those two: keep the discard landscape, put teched cards on top portrait

Anarchy tech 2 is fine but not all that great by tech 2 standards. It’s bad at blocking generally which makes getting to gunships hard, but you can absolutely win by just staying at anarchy tech 2. You’ll just do it faster by going to tech 3 :wink:

Right but if you’re going Anarchy tech 2 it’s because you’re the beatdown in the matchup when you decide to do that.You don’t go Anarchy when you need to defend… although if you need to defend as red you’re often in bad shape anyway. I think in that case you want to just attack harder :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m with ARMed Pirate. While I don’t have any issues at all with the draw and discard pile, I feel that the rulebook is severely lacking. Many rules explanations are simply not possible to derive directly from the rulebook. While I certainly appreciate the challenge of having a game be easy to explain versus having a rigorous framework for resolving game events, this is in no way a new problem. FFG has been solving this by issuing two separate documents with their LCGs. One “Learn to Play” guide which is much like Codex’s rulebook, and one “Rules Reference Guide” which is everything I wish Codex had. This allows rules questions to be resolved entirely by reference to direct sections in the “Rules Reference Guide” and when that is the case, players actually have a chance at figuring out the correct behavior by themselves without guessing or having to look for rulings online.

1 Like

It’s intentional that the rulebook maximizes understanding how the game works at all, and that anything involving advanced interactions is in a living document (not a printed one) that is linked here: Rulebooks — Sirlin Games

Sorry if that doesn’t work for you, but that has been the plan all along. And of course the game has already shipped, so it is how it is. If you ever have more rulings you’d like in that living document, you can tell @sharpobject in the rulings thread.

I’m actually quite a fan of the “living document” approach but I didn’t fully realize the scope of the mandate for the linked Google Sheet. It’s good to know that the intention is for that document to become an official and comprehensive set of more formal rules and that the printed rulebook was never indended to contain a complete and unambiguous framework.

P.S. Thanks for the game. I’m a really big fan, just frustrated.

Yes it’s meant to house basically everything not in the rulebook. Also, there is a web interface to the spreadsheet in the works too. I think it’s not actually finished, but pretty close and can be found here for now: http://codexcards.surge.sh/

Separate from all that @sharpobject might write a comprehensive rules document if he ever gets around to it. (Though that’s kind of academic, any question someone would want to know should be in the rulings anyway.)

1 Like

I already had a look at that in the past weeks and I have to say that this is amazing.
I believe that this will be VERY helpful in answering questions that arise while playing once the sets of me and my friends are in our hands.
A system like this is pretty clever in my opinion and I have not seen something like it for any other game.

2 Likes

When I have played the game locally without mats, I always have draw pile on my left hand side, and the discard on my right hand side, to thoroughly separate them. But the mats will be good enough for me.

But it is a recurring issue in many games: How do people not think about what they are doing when they are doing it?! When you discard cards, make a mental note “the discard pile is here” and when you draw, make a mental note “the draw pile is here”.

You don’t even have to make a mental note in Codex, the boxes clearly say what they are, so you can just check before you do anything :stuck_out_tongue:

My gaming friend is notorious for doing this in many different games, so I am personally just a little tired of it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I mostly play games with face-up discard piles so it’s harder to mess up D:

4 Likes

I briefly misinterpreted this as being some bold new Codex variant

I played last night with my discard pile turned sideways and it worked great! No issues, not even once. Thanks for the suggestion whoever suggested that!

3 Likes

Hello there!

I’m the person actively working on http://codexcards.surge.sh/ (also hosted at http://codexcarddb.com/ ), so if you find any bugs or have any suggestions for features that you’d like to see, let me know!

I don’t have a designer (which is why the site looks so plain), but the hope is that it should work decently well on your phone so you can look things up in the middle of a game.

11 Likes

I hope it will stay this way. No clutter, all the relevant information good to read.
I like it the way it is. Good job, not only with the design but with the whole site.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Yeah! It’s deliciously oldschool

3 Likes

Thank you for putting the database together. It is a great tool to have! I have not noticed any bugs. In practice, I find myself using a combination of three databases, depending on my need:

1. http://codexcarddb.com/ Your database for card rulings
  2. http://jamie_ca.gitlab.io/codex/ This database to look up all cards with the same ability or the same cost or other keyword
  3. http://sharp.moe:8000/red This database to see groups of cards on a single page in enough detail that I can read them and try to determine synergies. (This is for when I am away from my physical copy of Codex)
    I know it’s a big, complicated, vague ask, but it would be awesome if one database would be able to do all of these things: provide card rulings, let you search by keyword, let you display multiple cards, and keep adding/removing cards as you like. (Edit: Oh, and including token cards too would be great!)
3 Likes

codexcarddb.com sorta lets you search by keyword. If you type haste into the search field a list of cards that have the word haste will appear as a dropdown list. Instead of a dropdown I would prefer hitting enter to take you to a page filled with all the cards that have haste on them, but it is still helpful as is.

2 Likes

…I did not previously notice that. Thank you.

There’s something incomplete going on with the search dropdown though. I type in “skele” and I get four cards: Skeletal Lord, Skeleton Javelineer, Skeletal Archery, and Summon Skeletons.

In the other database, searching for “skele” also brings up Lich’s Bargain, Bone Collector, and Necromancer.

Also, I’d love for token cards to be included and searchable.

1 Like

Garth Torken should also be listed in that search, imo.

There are no online images of token cards aside from the teaser images posted on kickstarter. But even without the images, wouldn’t it be better to find the cards that make the tokens, rather than the token cards specifically?

2 Likes