Exceed Discussion (Level 99 Games)

As far as I understand it you declare it’s coming from Bear when you place your card face down. The normal attacks are the cards that every one has access to. So Bear can use Dive, Assault, Focus, Sweep, Spike, Cross, Grasp, and Block. So if Miska is the one Striking and she declares it’s coming from Bear it telegraphs more of what she can do.

I mean it’s just one way to go about getting cards in the discard. When playing against Miska I found myself burning a lot of cards to move in order to avoid Bear and get close to her.

Against Lily I’d say Chain Strike is super crucial. If she declares a strike she can only beat it by playing The Magic Bullet Ult (and then even that only works at range 4). If Kaden declares the strike she has no way to stop being pulled into range 1 with you and now you have advantage. There are still counters to this such as Lily playing Focus (so she can’t be moved) or Sweep (to trade super well, but you still have advantage).

Havoc Call is another great attack to use when you’re just trying to get it. Allows you to completely avoid damage at the range Lily wants to be fighting at.

Once you get in on Lily you’ll probably want to have Focus in hand. She’s got a couple of fast attacks that move you way back. Focus will stuff these hard. Even if you can’t play it EX you can still get a ton of good value out of it. Then use your retrieve cards from discard effect in order to pull Focus back into hand so the threat is always there. Focus should be a big part of you mix up vs Lily. Focucs will wreck Double Tap and Excessive Force. However, it loses to Hair Trigger (if you’re at range 2) and Mug Shot. Luckily Kaden has his own moves that can beat those (EX Rising Host beats both).

Against these long range fighters EX Rising Host is super strong. It will trade poorly with some attacks but it will beat all of Lily’s special moves as long as she’s at range 1-3.

You’re probably right that Fusion Bane and Double Charge Executioner aren’t very good against Lily. I’d probably avoid using those. However, the Chain Extension Boost is extremely relevant vs Her and allows you to beat her at her own game for a turn. Secret Weapon Boost is also a good one and can be used to get that crucial card you need (Like Focus).

So in any given mu different cards are going to be more and less important. Against Lily Cross is good for its Run Boost and Focus is amazing for its attack. For me, especially when I was super new, I had a tendency to want all the Special attacks to be the go to attacks and for the normals to be lesser used. Sometimes the normals are the stars in certain mu. Also I wouldn’t be too concerned about playing EX Focus (especially if you aren’t in EXCEED mode) it has too much value as a card to use both of them up in a single attack (unless of course you can get them right back with Silence or Dark Tide Summons).

Still seems like a trickier mu because Lily still has a lot of mobility but maybe some of the above could help.

It seems like Kaden should have an easier time vs Eva. She’s a build up character too but a slower one. All of Eva’s Specials and Ultimates are subpar (she needs to get Boosts into play to make them worth anything). She also doesn’t hit hard so your Guard should allow you to trade well vs her. What about Eva where you struggling against?

1 Like

During my match Kaden vs Eva, my plan is to strike if she has many boosts in play to discard it. I ended up having low cards all the time in that match. And Eva has 1 boost that lets her draw an extra card during my turn so she has card advantage.

P.S.
One thing that I noticed in an exceed match is that sometimes there is a turn where both players select a prepare action, sometimes 2 turns in a row. With this, both players are standing for 4 turns. To me, it’s quite awkward thematically: the players in a fighting game are standing still for a couple of seconds. But this is just me

1 Like

It seems like you should be able to alternate between strikes and card draw to be able to stay ahead on cards? Even if she gets two Boosts into play that probably only brings her Specials up to the standard of every one else’s standard Specials. Her normals get good but the Boosts that stay in play are on the best normal attacks (Spike, Grasp, Sweep), with Focus being the exception. So if she’s using the good Boosts of the best normal attacks she less likely to be able to attack with that same move.

Maybe I haven’t seen a good Eva in play but I want to like her but whenever I look at her cards they just look so weak I’m left scratching my head on how to make them work. What was your friend doing that made it (her?) effective?

She’s got some weird interactions too. If she has the Defend or Auto-Defense Engine (A-DE) Boost in play she wants to go second otherwise she wont be able to make use of her UA or she will use her UA and not get the Guard/Armor bonuses. Also if she gets out sped and stunned it is extra damaging for her because she can’t use her UA to bounce a Boost.

I’m looking at her kit right now and I’m trying to break it down.
She’s got Cyber Destroyer, Upgrade, and Shifting Technology attacks that let her keep Boosts in play after strikes happen.

Two of these cards have some pretty big weaknesses though. Cyber Destroyer has to hit for it to work and she will probably end up trading horribly that turn. However, if in range she will most likely go first and hit. Shifting Technology is just bad, it needs a speed boost to be worth anything or maybe Defend + A-ED. Either way it needs a lot of help to do something. Seems to have more value as 2 force from hand.

Of these three cards Upgrade makes the most sense to me. It is fast enough to trigger against harder hitting things and it has enough armor to go off vs the stuff that would out speed it.

Then she has four moves that feel like they are her go to attacks once she is set up. She’s got Enki Thresher, Plasma Barrage, Riot Machine, and Harnessing Chaos.

Enki Thresher is potentially good, maybe? Stun Immunity is great, it’s got good range, it just needs a Power Boost to make it worth something. Plasma Barrage is probably her best unaided Special attack. A single boost to anything and it starts to look really cool. Riot Machine is interesting. If you can get two Boosts into play it becomes better then her Ults (Fierce and Light Boost in play makes this move range 1-2, Power 7, Speed 7 yeah that’s way better then her Ult).

Then there’s Harnessing Chaos. I can’t believe this thing costs 3 Gauge. In order to get it to work you’re most likely going to have to be in EXCEED Mode, which costs 3 Gauge too, and you’ll need 3-4 Boosts in play to make it worth something. Let’s say you got Mandatory Upgrades, Light, Fierce, and Defend in play then Harnessing Chaos would still only be a Range 1-4, Power 7 (counting MA as power +2), Speed 7, Armor 1, Guard 1. So it costs way more Gauge to be a bit better then Riot Machine? I really don’t get her Ultimates both of them are less good versions of normal moves she has. Harnessing Chaos should cost 1 Gauge.

She might have some interesting options but she just feels really clunky and it seems like everything has to just go your way for her to work well.

Unless there is some tech I’m missing. I’d be really curious to hear what your friend or any one else has done in order to make her work well? Maybe I’ll play it some more at the next game session and see if I can’t unlock the mystery for myself.

No, I agree with you. It is definitely less thematic then Yomi or BattleCON. For me it has felt like a Card Dueling game mixed with a fighter.

2 Likes

Kaden can also threaten something very unusual against Eva, which is searching up Dive and using his card recursion to repeatedly Tech eva out of one type of boost rather than letting her keep well-rounded attacks. If you can make her lose on type of boost with Tech, her life becomes extremely difficult (especially if it’s Speed, because her stats are eh).

Nehtali, Baelkhor, and Eva are definitely the lower tier in the game in my experience (we have a matchup recorder but it doesn’t have that many games in it, and I’m not sure how many people can really be considered “exceed pros” yet), with Gabrek being down there as well due to awkward matchups. Eva in particular struggles against strong aggro in general, particularly Satoshi who just totally destroys her because of how easily he can manipulate the field before striking (Boost: Discard a Continuous Boost and then Strike is a death sentence…) and the hand discard is rough as well. She can definitely work, but she’s always a struggle because you need to flip ASAP and make some good guesses - including guessing right against Guard.

She is also one of the characters hurt the most as people get better at using Reading, as is anyone who relies heavily on Continuous Boosts, so be careful to not let your hand get too big as the deck shrinks - especially if you recycle the boost on Grasp or Sweep. Unfortunately, I’ve played against her a lot more than as her so I can’t give too much advice on the latter front.

2 Likes

This is good advice. I think this is another viable use of Kaden’s recursion. How does Eva even deal with that?

I agree that Eva and Gabrek are weaker. I also agree that there probably isn’t any one that can be considered a pro yet plus there is no online mode so for the most part it is just small groups of people playing together. Still hoping to be able to start a Skype EXCEED group. However, I’m not sold that Nehtali and Baelkhor are in the lower tier. Atm Baelkhor just seems to be a character that is harder to play and requires more game knowledge to get to work right so I’d want to have a lot of games with him before I could put a power level on him. And while Nehtali does have a weaker UA and maybe one of the worst EXCEED modes in the game Hell’s Salvation is too good for me to put her in lower tier yet.

It seems this is one of the reasons characters share so many of the same cards. Even if a characters main game plan is completely wrecked they can just hope to win with good normals or something.

Agreed, there are quite a few things working against Boost, and to a some what lesser extent, build up characters in this game.

I’m going to be playing a couple of games of EXCEED today. Hoping to try some Eva vs Reese (this is the only character my wife wants to play, lol) so I’ll see how I can handle Eva’s slow style to Reese’s constant pressure.

Oh, and getting back to the subject of Kaden I was thinking that if you wanted to get really aggressive about getting an EX attack early you could make use of the mulligan rules. If you draw a single copy of Sweep, Focus, Assault, Double Charge Executioner or anything else you want double of just keep that one card and then mulligan the rest. Should have a decent % chance of hitting the second card especially if going second.

1 Like

The only “major” tournament I’ve seen so far has been the GenCon tournament which was swept super hard by an undefeated Alice (+ Juno, Morathi). A couple people were caught off guard by Guardian Slasher boost naming Ultras… There are 4 or 5 people right now who I think are qualified to lay things out, but I’ve got only ~50 games in and a lot of those aren’t relevant to the cast at hand.

As to how Eva deals with Kaden always keeping Tech in hand? Dunno, not well. Eva doesn’t have enough good boosts to survive losing them, even if it becomes an action-tax fight because she’s always got action issues. I haven’t been playing her too much since I’m focused on Season 2 right now. Level 99 has a discord that has a pretty active EXCEED channel, you might be able to find games there?

I’ve only played Kaden a few times, but he’s pretty solid. His real plan is to try and grab whatever normal the opponent has the most trouble dealing with - often Grasp or Sweep, but sometimes Dive or Focus - and just keep it in his hand for as long as possible while messing with EX normals to get the stat advantage he needs in order to win. I’m not sure he’s really best off mulliganing hard for an EX in his starting hand since most people need a bit of time to set up, but I’d probably try and get a Chain Strike in my opener against rangers if possible if I’m going second, mulliganing if necessary, and try to set up for Rising Host. Normals in general are often better than specials (which are more situational), especially for Kaden since he can get those normals back into his hand to keep using them.

I think Nehtali is definitely better than Eva and probably better than Gabrek, with a few caveats. Gabrek’s worst matchups are against people with strong Grasp replacements, since his specials are so weak to Grasp and his mobility is so-so - that means he has a very tough time against Lily and Mei Lien, and Alice ain’t great either (Soul Gaze is ridiculously strong). Nehtali doesn’t really have that issues, but she has a lot of trouble against people who can burn meter efficiently or outspeed her at range 2-3 - Devris is a huge problem and he’s someone I think will end up seeing a decent amount of play, Zoey is super strong, Alice as well. She’s got some generally good cards and Hell’s Salvation is scary, but against anyone who can beat it consistently (Alice is the worst one, since Soul Gaze is a normal that beats it clean, but a few other people can beat it also with supers…Vincent is super problematic here because if you’re feeding him meter he can turn it into Armor and Ballot Fixing beats Hell’s Salvation clean 100% of the time because that super is nuts) a key part of your offense falls apart. Zoey is going to be a problem unless she gets errata’d to fix her endgame loop as well, because she out-stalls you. I know Brad thinks Nehtali is slightly undertuned, and I agree with him on that.

That said, they’re both fairly solid characters. Baelkhor struggles from having just slightly too low stats before he gets to his lategame mode so a bad guess is really rough, but he’s also not that bad. I know Aya - who is one of the big players from the original Level99 chat and has written a bit about EXCEED strategy - has played Eva pretty extensively and is convinced she’s the worst character in the game.

2 Likes

I can agree there.

I can also agree that Alice is too good. The fact that Soul Eye - Diabolic can name an Ultra is completely ridiculous.

I haven’t played with or against Zoey yet. What is her endgame loop?

Do they plan on releasing a patch at some point? I doubt it but it would be cool if they did. Seems there style is more about trying to get a better game experience in the next set as opposed to the previous sets. And with how licensing works it might not even be possible for them to patch Season 1 even if they wanted to.

I’ve never been a fan of how lvl99 games handles balance. From what I’ve read Brad post on a previous kickstarter campaign they rely a lot on math to balance things rather then a heavy reliance on actually playing the game and seeing who is too weak/strong.

I’m pretty sure they could patch season 1 in theory (the license isn’t a huge deal) but I don’t think the distribution is necessarily worthwhile. The first push of the game has some flaws, but I don’t think anyone is way too strong and the only person who is super weak is Eva from what I’m hearing. Playtesting’s always tricky for smaller companies with multiple IPs, but if you or people you know are interested it’s easy to get access to playtest material - I know it gets played a fair bit, but it can also be pretty fast and loose. EXCEED came at a pretty weird time for them, so in some ways it’s a bit unpolished…

Zoey’s EXCEED mode allows her to return any card spent from her Gauge as Force to her hand instead of discarding it. You just play Guard and spend a Guard from your Gauge to pump the Armor, returning Guard #2 to your hand. It loses to anything that breaks Armor and can punch through Guard 3, like Spike, but if you play with your ranges carefully you can stall for a while because you basically don’t take damage.

Alice’s worst matchups are people who can get in either consistently or quickly and duck in and out of her max range, avoiding the auto-dodge on her flipped side (which is super strong against immobile people…like Eva). Juno’s got a bit of an edge against her, but it’s not super skewed - Satoshi does well also, as do the slower characters with consistent hitconfirm as long as they don’t run into her hand manipulation. The thing that makes her so good is that she’s got alright stats and range problems, but very high power and also the best hand control in the game in a system where hand control is huge.

If you’re interested in some games, I can try to make myself available. Do you have tabletop sim?

2 Likes

I don’t have tabletop simulator, unfortunately. When playing games online that don’t have their own online version I tend to use Skype (this is want I did for 99% of my Codex playtesting). I might end up getting tabletop simulator. I’ll let you know if I do.

Is playtesting happening for Season 2? If so I’d like to get in on that. Also what is the EXCEED discord page? If I did become apart of testing I’d like to get in on that.

1 Like

Discord link is at Discord , I can answer any questions you’ve got there (and TTS is half off via indiegala at the moment if you’re interested in going that route). Playtesting is currently happening for Season 2 at the moment, gotta dig up the link to that.

2 Likes

I joined the playtest team a few days ago, yay!

Can I get another link to the discord group? that one has expired, sorry.

Also how do I get the TTS mod for Season 2 of EXCEED? EDIT: never mind I found it DOUBLE EDIT: I found the link but it’s not working. Do I have to buy TTS first?

Its just the normal Level 99 Discord, right? Here’s a link.

1 Like

I read this thread a little while back, and only then realized that Exceed wasn’t just a BattleCon expansion. I introduced BattleCon to my group several years ago and it didn’t click with any of us. I decided to check out the rule for Exceed, and it turns out this is exactly what I was looking for in BattleCon. Like @chucklyfun, I checked out the current sets and settled on Ulrik/Gabrek/Alice/Zoey.

I introduced it to the group and it was received much more favorably than BattleCon (and for some, more favorably than Yomi o_o ). In addition, everyone gravitated to different characters so we were able to try out a bunch of different matchups in a short amount of time. Personally, I really like Ulrik and Zoey for their board and hand shenanigans, respectfully.

As far as thread discussion, our group noticed that Gabrek feels lacking compared to the others. Does anyone know of any good discussion on playing Gabrek well or tricks he can use against the other 3? Ulrik’s ability seems to counter Gabrek before the game even starts.

Also, my friends wanted me to show off our ghetto set up to replace the lame cards for a board. (Also, is there a way to spoiler stuff like the old forums, or is blurring out text/images the only option?)

4 Likes

Most of their unique abilities work best by striking. Ulrik needs to strike in order to use his move ability. He also has some movement abilities on attacks and increases in power as his opponent gets low on cards. I definitely think Ulrik has the advantage, and I need more experience with Gabrek both of them though.

I also picked up the Satoshi, Baelkor, Mei Lien, and Morathi, but I haven’t gotten a game in yet.

1 Like

I really like Baelkhor and think he is one of the top characters. He has some ridiculous numbers on his attacks. Other characters can achieve high numbers too, but Baelkhor’s ability to seal cards adds a dangerous layer to his beat down. In particular sealing a copy of his cards that have extra stats if he reshuffles and then going into Exceed mode makes them massive!

Gabrek is all about his Ultra attacks and Exceed mode. Most of his other attacks and effects are tool box, giving him a wide array of narrow counters to other attacks. But he common theme is that most of them help Gabrek close the gap and get to range 1.

I usually try to pick my shots to build my gauge so I can afford his Ultra attacks, then play mind games at range 1 with my opponent. Players will try to prevent your Ultra attacks from landing, but only certain strikes can avoid them. So now your narrow counters are easy to predict, allowing you to keep the pressure and continue to threaten.

Exceed mode with Gabrek is ridiculous. Making your opponent wild swing constantly at range 1 makes for some great helpless sequences, especially if you mix in Assault to keep getting advantage. It is even worse for your opponent if they are low on cards, because once they get their turn back they have to either waste their hand to move away, or remain in the pocket to get their hand up.

Gabrek does feel weaker at first, but I put this to our perception of what a grappler would be. We imagine a character that sucks at all ranges except range 1, but does heaps of damage and has heaps of health. Gabrek is definitely range 1 preferred, but his approach is more technical and takes a little to understand how he achieves it.

I’ve been seeing some articles about how good wild swing is in general, so seeing it on Gabrek’s kit as a punishment doesn’t seem very deadly. How does he handle Skull Man or Morathi who want to be wild swinging?

I got in some beginner games with Satoshi, Mei Lien, and Morathi. I got Skull Man, Devris, and Juno in and played against Juno, but don’t have a good feel for her, other than her ability being very aggressive.

Being able to get +0-1 or +0-2 range on Mei Lien’s attacks was really powerful and combo-ed with her ability to push opponent’s away. I generally win against my friends and they are very much still learning the game, so I’m not building up some of the advanced strategies yet like parries.

Kickstarter for season 2 is up!

Link Here

Check the third update - there’s a print and play of two of the new characters, Luciya and Galdred.

For anyone interested in playtesting, we’re working on Season 2 heavily to make sure nothing gets totally busted or weak, so go take a look at that Discord posted earlier.

2 Likes

Anyone tried making their own exceed character? Im curious on how ryu or zangief can be translated to exceed

1 Like

I haven’t tried but have thought about it. It might be tricky to translate some of the SF cast because each character needs 5 unique special attacks and 2 unique super attacks and then 7 boosts. As far as I know Ryu only has 4 special attacks (2 different fireballs, whirlwind kick, and DP) and 1 super. It could be done but would require some inventing of attacks to fill in the gaps.

1 Like