Digital version of Codex

This also sounds like kind of an acceptable reason to keep it to Bashing vs. Finesse for now ^^;

Yeah I tested it with ccc and we agreed that basic stuff like grabbing your whole hand and making a stack should be way easier than it is.
Also Leontes you missed that you can right click and draw cards.
I hate the radial menu though.

The concern was how this affects asynchronous play, you know, where the players actually can’t just put their cards on the table.

1 Like

@Leontes and whoever would know - does Tabletopia allow for spectators? I would dig being able to make match videos the same way I currently do Yomi vids, but it occurs to me that I don’t even know if it’s possible unless I wanted to record my own matches.

3 Likes

Yes, you can have spectators in addition to the actual players.

2 Likes

I dream of one day seeing Codex like hearthstone, with neat visual effects

2 Likes

This seems like a good thread to resurrect, since the Tabletopia version of Codex is now gone: Tabletopia didn’t pay royalties, so Sirlin Games had the game removed from the site.

This means that, at time of posting, play by forum is Codex’s only (authorised) permanent home for online play. There’s a version on Tabletop Simulator, but Sirlin’s opinion is that they should be sent a C&D (he considers their royalty split exploitative, and I don’t know whether Sirlin Games gets it anyway).

My understanding is that Sirlin has stated that online implementations of Finesse vs. Bashing are fair game. There has been at least one online, rules-enforced, fan implementation of Finesse vs. Bashing (most recently one called techphase.cc, as far as I can tell now discontinued and inhabited by a squatter), but they seem to die from lack of interest.

I don’t like being a doom-sayer, but I do wonder whether an official digital version of Codex is considered to be remotely viable at this point. I love the game: it’s one of the few ones that I willingly play online against strangers, rather than people I already know in real life, as it were. But between the hobby’s tendency to forget most games after a few months / a single play, how long it took even the Deluxe version to sell out, and the sheer size of the rules questions thread, I don’t know whether it could ever be considered to be financially viable, even if all the active players bought it.

3 Likes

The issue I ran into was a lack of modularity. There was so little duplication of abilities that 95% of the cards need to have their effect hand coded, with little expectation that the code would be reusable.
And that level of effort wasn’t worth it.

Compare with Netrunner, where 80% of new cards are remixes of game effects that already exist, so a core engine can be extended easily.

Maybe if there was more interest, and a desire to actually implement and use custom specs, building the engine would be worth it.

1 Like