[Custom Character] Otto, Opulent Octopus! šŸ™

Otto, Opulent Octopus has arrived! :cat2:

Lore:

Karin Kanzuki, as an octopus!

Character Card:

88 HP
8 CP
Normal Throws: 6 CP, X.8 Speed Starters, 8 Damage & KD.
Normal Attacks: 1 CP, X.8 Speed, X Damage.

Innate:

"Thatā€™s a Lā€™Otto Ink:

Each time you hit with a Normal Attack, or combo into a Normal Attack you gain an Ink card. (Ink cards can also be represented with dice or counters.)

When you have 1-4 Ink cards: You draw one extra card when your Normal Attack is Blocked or wins combat & your Throws deal +2 Damage.

When you have 5-7 Ink cards: You draw two extra cards when your Normal Attack is Blocked or wins combat & your Throws deal +4 damage.

When you have 8 Ink cards: You draw three extra cards when your Normal Attack is Blocked or wins combat & your Throws deal +8 damage.

8 is the max number of Ink cards you can have at one time.

Also, after combat cards are revealed, you may shoot 8 ink cards at the opponent. If you do, discard all combat cards & cancel combat, deal 4 damage to the opponent & knock them down, & fast-forward to next turnā€™s combat. This turn, your opponentā€™s attacks & throws are 2.8 speed slower. (Ink cards shot at the opponent are discarded.)"

Card Ranks:

2 A/T
3 A/D
4 A/T
5 A/B
6 A/D
7 A/T
*8 A/B
9 A/B
10 B/T

J Attack: 1 CP, 3.6 Speed Linker. 6 (2) Damage.

*J Dodge.

Q Attack: 2 CP, 4.0 Speed Linker. 4 (3) + 4 (Any) + 4 (Any) Damage.

Q Throw: 3 CP, 8.8 Speed Ender. 8 + 8 (Any) Damage.

*K Throw: 3.6 Speed, Canā€™t Combo. 16 damage.

*K Dodge.

Inksperiment: *AAAA Attack: 1.2 Speed, Canā€™t Combo. 40 (4) Damage.

Fraudelent Ink, Buster: AA Throw: 1.8 Speed, Canā€™t Combo. 20 Damage.

Attacks: 2-9, J, Q, & AAAA.
Throws: 2, 4, 7, 10, Q, K, & AA.
Blocks: 5, 8, 9, & 10.
Dodges: 3, 6, J, & K.

Fastest Attacks: AAAA (1.2), J (2.2), 2 (2.8), 3 (3.8), Q (4.0), 4 (4.8)ā€¦
Fastest Throws: AA (1.8), 2 (2.8), K (3.8), 4 (4.8), 7 (7.8), Q (8.8), & 10 (10.8).

Abilities:

8 Abilty: ā€œInksearch & Inkelopment:
[Draw Phase] As an additional cost to use this ability, discard any number of Ink cards. Look at the top X cards of your deck, where X is the number of Ink cards discarded this way. Put one of them into your hand, then you may put the rest on the top or bottom of your deck in any order.ā€

J Dodge Ability: ā€œUnhand Me!:
[During Combat] If this Dodge would be thrown by a Normal Throw you may fire two Ink cards at the opponent. If you do, their throw is discarded & they lose combat, they take 2 damage, are KD, & you may search your deck or discard for a Normal Dodge, reveal it, & put that card into your hand. (Ink cards fired at the opponent are discarded, even if this ability is countered. Shuffle your deck afterwards if you searched it this way.)ā€

K Throw Ability: ā€œNo Normalcy:
[Combat Reveal] If your opponent combat-revealed a Normal Attack, you may fire two Ink cards at the opponent. If you do, the opponent takes 2 damage & cannot win combat this turn. (Ink cards fired at the opponent are discarded, even if this ability is countered.)ā€

K Dodge Ability: ā€œNothing Special About You:
[During Combat] If you Dodge a Special or Super Attack with this, search your deck or discard for a Special move or for one Ace. (Special Moves are on Face Cards. Super Attacks are on Aces. Shuffle your deck afterwards if you searched it this way.)ā€

AAAA Attack Ability: ā€œOtto Donā€™t Think So:
[Combat Reveal] You may shoot eight of your ink cards at the opponent. That ink hits the opponent, dealing 4 damage. (Ink shot at the opponent is discarded, even if this ability is countered.) Discard two of your Aces, and your Super Attack becomes your Super Throw.ā€

1 Like

So much of this seems busted, but the ability on the super especially needs to go.

3 Likes

Why do ye think that the super ability is too busto? I thought that it seemed okay, since ye are giving up some Inkvantage to use it, & because a lot of characters have a reversal they can use if they know itā€™s coming. Ye canā€™t go from the throw to the attack, just from the attack to the throw! It might still be too good, but Iā€™m skeptical about that. Quince is one of the only characters I can think of who could be put in a tight spot by this ability & more often than not be unable to escape.

A change Iā€™m thinking about is increasing the Ink card cost for switching from one super to another - from two to four or six, maybe? Iā€™d want the damage dealt to still reliably be one damage per Ink card fired at the opponent, though, so Iā€™d have to change the damage for Ottoā€™s throw super if I did that, probably!

With the Ink cards in general, I was trying to give Otto different ways to use them. They could be used in agressive or defensive ways - or they can be stockpiled to get access to an even better Acrobatics if ye are able to assemble eight of them! But itā€™s possible, or likely, that Iā€™ve gone a bit wild with his increasing, advantaged states & his weirdcombos! And, the damage!! :0

Also, Ottoā€™s speeds were intentionally made slow-ish! His fastest normal attack is 2.8 speed, & his fastest thing he can link into a normal attack is 2.2 Speed. So, I was imagining that itā€™d be kind of a challenge to actually land a normal combo if the opponent is attacking with fast attacks fairly often! I could be off about that, though! I might need to reduce Ottoā€™s damage/increase the CP of some of his moves since he has 8 CP to work with! But, his normal combos arenā€™t as free as Valā€™s! So thatā€™s another thing to consider! :octopus: (But, his throws could still be fast for non-grapplers to tango with, so maybe his normal throw CP usage should be increased?)

Also, another thing that I should consider isā€¦

ā€¦What does Otto get to power up for from the straight rule if he lands an 8-normal combo? Four Aces plusā€¦ :thinking::octopus:

Itā€™s very nearly guaranteed damage, beaten only by true reversals - a lot of characters MUST have their supers to be able to contest this move at all, or need to commit to a gold burst. It option selects grappler dodge/super-throw ranges, and even beats both sides of DeGreyā€™s 7-throw/Ace dodge mix-up. It just feels way too good to close out games. 20 unjokerable damage off a 0.8 speed attack that beats blodges is really strong. Getting 2 Ink is the stuff of a single combat win with anything but a dodge, so thereā€™s really no way to prevent this from happening.

Okay, sure, he has .8 normals. But heā€™s a better grappler than Zane, and his J gives him a better starter than Zaneā€™s 2, into bigger combo strings than Valerie. J9J9 is 30 damage off 2.2 speed with no Ink attached. Having a single 8 in hand with that combo moves it to 38. Having a single 7 in that same hand pushes it to 45.

Maybe having only 4 ranks of blocks means that heā€™s often vulnerable to just having normals played at him, but I think the random damage off any combat win is just going to lead to a lot of ā€œoops I winā€ situations.

2 Likes

While I do enjoy secondary resources Iā€™d agree that he is super busted.

Ace ability checkmates in a lot of situations from 20 health. Quince, Troq, and Rook have nothing to beat it. Gloria and Zane only have their 3 and 4 ace supers to beat it. Arg only has his multi ace super to beat it. Midori only has a single dragon form card to beat it. all other characters have one face card to beat it which they will have to hang onto in order to face the combo which makes this grappler a lot less slow then it first appears.

you didnā€™t list what the characters throws are but based on the fact that they cost 4CP Iā€™m guessing they arenā€™t canā€™t combos which means thereā€™s insane damage off of throws. Throw 6789 for 38 damage, 2 aces, and 4 Ink is just out of this world crazy. If there was any ink to start with the damage would be any where from 40-46. And people think Troq throws are too good, heā€™s got nothing on Otto.

The effect of shooting 8 Ink cards is also way too good but the opponent is probably dead if you have that many Ink attached any way. If not the auto 8 damage will be enough to finish them.

Again I like the idea but the abilities and damage are way over the top.

Edit: got number of aces wrong on throw combo. When you only play a 2cp character you forget these rules

4 Likes

just sayinā€™, no counter can affect aces.

3 Likes

Everybody always forgetting about Ven. He has to have Acro to not get hit, and even then he doesnā€™t ā€œbeatā€ it.

And here I thought Point/Counterpoint was good.

3 Likes

He also slows himself instead of slowing the opponent.

2 Likes

He sure doesā€¦ though Iā€™m not sure what that matters except that it sucks to be him.

1 Like

Heā€™s just highlighting that this character gets acro, and also advantage-time on the turn afterwards, rather than a penalty like Vendetta gets.

3 Likes

Oh then my original comment was misinterpreted I think. I was saying that Acrobatics was Vendettaā€™s only possible way not to get hit by the AAAA move, since he has nothing that beats 1.0, not comparing it to any abilities.

2 Likes

ah, yes then I widely misinterpreted your post. You are right, I did indeed forget Vendetta.

2 Likes

Taru can, & I have been referencing it in the other characters Iā€™ve made as a result. Taru was the first custom character I made, ye see!

Scroll down & click the "All of Taru Abilitiesā€ section. This is at the bottom of that section!

ā€œA Attack: The Answers: If you deal damage or block damage with either side of this Ace, until the end of the next turn you may discard a card of the same rank to counter abilities played by the opponent. (This can even be used to counter Ace abilities, but not innates.)ā€

(Note: I canā€™t edit that post anymore, but I want to slightly reword this ability so that it also allows Taru to counter any ability that triggers, like Jainaā€™s 10 triggering from the discard, instead of only ones played by the opponent!)[quote=ā€œClanNatioy, post:5, topic:3552ā€]
you didnā€™t list what the characters throws are but based on the fact that they cost 4CP Iā€™m guessing they arenā€™t canā€™t combos which means thereā€™s insane damage off of throws. Throw 6789 for 38 damage, 2 aces, and 4 Ink is just out of this world crazy. If there was any ink to start with the damage would be any where from 40-46. And people think Troq throws are too good, heā€™s got nothing on Otto.
[/quote]
Yeah, I wasnā€™t considering how zany Ottoā€™s throws could be, at first! And, yeah, I managed to neglect mentioning it, but the normal ones are starters! Iā€™ve increased his Throw CP to 6 for the time being. I was thinking about having them at 5, but even with no ink he could deal 32 damage off a normal throw into a max-damage normal string! Thatā€™s probably too wild.

Also, itā€™s likely that the option-selecting nature of his Ace ability is bad gameplay that I should replace, but while I brainstorm alternatives Iā€™ve increased the speed of Ottoā€™s four-Ace attack Super to 1.2 speed, which allows more characters to answer it. I wasnā€™t thinking about the Claw fansā€¦ :chibivendetta: [quote=ā€œNiijima-san, post:7, topic:3552, full:trueā€]
Everybody always forgetting about Ven. He has to have Acro to not get hit, and even then he doesnā€™t ā€œbeatā€ it.

And here I thought Point/Counterpoint was good.
[/quote]
ā€¦Among others! Also, Iā€™ve increased the amount of Ink required to use the Super option select from 2 Ink to 8, which seems much more reasonable! Two Ink is nuthinā€™! :0 And, no it doesnā€™t deal 8 damage if ye option select this way! (Though maybe it should??) It deals 4 damage, for now~

Iā€™ve also increased the speed of Ottoā€™s potentially scary, linking J Attack to 3.6 Speed so that pokey characters can get in against Otto more easily!

Do ye think that Otto could still be powerful/viable after these changes?

By the wayā€¦ Hereā€™s Otto!! :octopus:

Edit: The max number of Ink cards ye can have at one time is 8. Also, I reduced the damage dealt by Ottoā€™s Innate Acrobatics-ish ability from 8 to 4! 8 uncounterable damage was pretty flavorful, for an octopus, but it was also too wild! :o

2 Likes