Color Question

I’m not quite sure if this is the accurate place for it given it’s arguably a lore question in some ways, but I was just wondering if there was some meaning to the placement of the colors in the circle or if it’s just aesthetics. Like White being across from Red and next to Purple and Blue. I want to say no if just because of White being next to Blue in particular, but perhaps I’m missing something. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this in advance.

3 Likes

It could be a loose abstracted geography of where the factions hold influence – Flagstone next to Morningstar, but furthest away from The Dreadlands.

But it’s probably just aesthetics.

2 Likes

I hadn’t considered that, though if that is the answer it’s not quite as exciting as I’d hoped for. One of the things I love about MtG is the color pie, so kind of hoping there is more to it beyond the mechanical aspect. Though it’s fine if not, just curious.

The color circle in MtG is meant to represent related an opposed intentions or philosophies. Red and Green are adjacent because nature can be furious, but nature can also be peaceful, so also next to white. At least, that was how I always understood the color wheel.

I suspect the color wheel in Codex has some amount of influence from that MtG color wheel as a basis for the ordering, but I would be interested to know if there was more to it.

1 Like