[CAWS20] Round7: FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse vs bansa [Finesse]/Blood/Fire

That brick thief did WORK! I was very close to lethal on several turns and that healing made a big difference (as did the chip on me!)

Sucks to go out with such command of the board, hitting on my RS or one of my discards (that last one anyway XD) woulda been nice, but them’s the breaks against red, the burn has proven too much!

I certainly could have teched better (or maybe gone straight face more instead of buildings, though I think I assessed threats properly).

GL moving forward, thought I had this one but you played great!

3 Likes

Wowee. What a match. What are your records now? Was this the deathmatch for either of you?

1 Like

Yeah that’s curtains for me, we’ll have a bye next round for you or Zhav

Wow, unexpected! We’re down to last 3??

1 Like

grats on your win as P2 and against the god hand at that.

2 Likes

Going into this tourney, I was expecting resurgence of black and I was trying to build my deck in anticipation of that. I had a theory that neutral starter will be the best bet against black and tested river-red, green and blue. Originally, I was going to stick with blue, color I’m most comfortable with, but I took @Legion and @Nekoatl’s advice and went with this deck. Plus, it ain’t blue if is not blue starter :wink: I could be totally wrong but I’m guessing @Bryce_The_Rice had a similar approach. He really perfected his deck though. I feel that his deck as strong as Miracle Grow or even stronger since it’s not disadvantaged against Nightmare unlike it’s cousin(? not sure on this one). Plus, his neutral is super strong. I think my theory has somewhat proven since all blacks are gone and neutrals have survived. Not enough data I know but just a thought in my journey to find balance in Codex :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha I wish I could claim my decision making was that informed.
I was just thinking “I actually really want to try this tourney, I’m going to play a good deck. First, Anarchy/Strength is a strong combination. Then I’m going to take Finesse because it gives more haste and neutral starter.”

2 Likes

Yes, but why did you pick neutral over red starter? You must have thought it’s got better chances against known decks. Come on, admit it! :wink:

Because Neutral starter is more even as p1 or p2, whereas Red is very front loaded being super strong p1, but significantly worse p2. In a tournament where I expect to play 50% of my games as p2, it’s important to have a robust strategy. Also, Neutral starter is better at defensive play, which my deck lends itself heavily towards, becoming significantly stronger if allowed to stall and tech up.

3 Likes

Fine, be that way. :sneezing_face: not giving up though. My theory continues.

1 Like

Honestly I don’t play the field in Codex. I don’t really know what the good and bad top tier matchups are, and much less how to exploit them.
Hell, in pretty much every tournament I’ve just been playing whatever the hell I feel like, with little regard to tier list (I mean, I’m obviously not gonna play trash but I haven’t been playing proper top tier most of the time). This is the first time I’ve really sat down and determined to play a top deck and pilot it properly, exploiting its strength as hard as I can.

(And for the record, I’m still trying my hardest with any deck I play. I’m not claiming I’m sandbagging at all, just that usually I haven’t been trying my hardest specifically at deck select.)

3 Likes

Right… can’t deny the top tiers although I still hope for some balance in Codex whether it’s food cycle or tourney to tourney meta switch type of thing. I have a response deck to yours in mind but not gonna tell you. Maybe one day when your deck becomes a named thing that sees multiple appearance.

1 Like

Brick Thief did a lot of great work in this tournament :smile:

4 Likes

i think that neutral starter is well balanced for both p1/p2, prolly the next best thing to black starter.

3 Likes