[CAWS18] witspur [Disease]/Blood/Anarchy vs Marto [Discipline]/Strength/Finesse

@Dreamfire

Edit to the above. I didn’t notice that Tech 1 card line. I was missing two I’m pretty sure. That’s how many I added in. Dreamfire, if you get a chance can you look at the edited version above and make sure I did it right?

Yeah I see the cards edited into the discard pile. I’m not sure if the tournament rules say you should redo your draw in this case (since technically the cards were added in after you saw your next turn’s hand).

Tournament rules are you always redraw your next hand, beause in theory you could ahve gotten foreknowledge.

1 Like

Understood. I’ll do that.

"P1T8

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Shoddy Glider
Kidnapping

STARTING HAND
Skeleton Javelineer
Crashbarrow
Sickness
Crypt Crawler

WORKERS
Summon Skeletons
Skeletal Archery
Graveyard
Thieving Imp
Chameleon Lizzo

NextHand

Disguised Monkey
Poisonblade Rogue
Jandra, the Negator
Kidnapping

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
No Worker
Orpal - ($7)
Sickness on Rook and River - ($5)
Zane - ($3)
Crashbarrow - ($0)
Crashbarrow trades with Rook. 2 levels to Zane
Poisonblade Rogue (2/1) trades with River. 2 levels to Zane
Zane L5 (3/3) kills Fencer taking 2 DMG. We both Draw

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Orpal L1 (1/3)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• Zane L5 (3/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)
  • :heart: Tech Lab HP: 4 (Anarchy)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 15
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Marto will be able to break my Tech 2 this turn if he so chooses. Maybe, just maybe, the heroes I have on the board will provide enough of a distraction to keep the building standing. My draw for next turn is sub-par. It looks like I might be holding two dead cards. The Monkey is a no-go if he breaks the Tech 2, and Jandra is toxic to all the other units around her. I’d like to worker her. I do have Kidnapping, which might be useful. It’s high cost is prohibitive though.

"

It doesnt appear you rerandomized your starting cards.

with 3 cards out of 4 there is a reasonable chance witspur rolled the same hand.

P2T8

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Bird's Nest
Sparring Partner 2/2
Vigor Adept 5/5+A
Grappling Hook
Focus Master

WORKERS
Fox Viper
Safe Attacking
Fox Primus
Morningstar Flagbearer
Snapback

NextHand

Nimble Fencer
YLD
Smoker

Discard

Mind-parry Monk
Sensei's Advice
Aged Sensei 1/1
Mind-parry Monk
Grappling Hook
Nimble Fencer
Bird's Nest

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Draw from techn
Summon Grave - ($8)
Vigor Adept - ($4)
Sparring Partner - ($3)
Focus Master - ($0)
Hook Orpal to Lookout
Dragon kills Orpal, Grave lvl 3
Adept readily breaks your tech II

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: lvl 3 Grave 3/4+A
  • :psfist: Elite: Sparring Partner 3/2
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Vigor Adept 5/5
  • :pschip: Technician: Focus Master 4/3
  • :target: Lookout: Vigor Adept 5/5
    In Play:
  • YLD 3/3
    Buildings:
  • :heart: Base HP: 19
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 7
    Gold:
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

That’s quite much to lose in one round :o Rook was meant to die, but I expected not to lose both River and fencer on top of it. What’s good is I can easily break Tech II, and I see no reason why not to do it. Bad news is: witspur teched several times since MPM died so I must expect Kidnapping, and having both Adepts out at the same time may not be good news. Yet, with no Heroes’ Hall, he’ll have to suicide Zane before using Drakk, and that’s quite good as well.

With tech II down, I'm fine with all naturally hasty things, so I've to fear max Zane, maybe sharks, max Drakk + a tech I guy, or Kidnapping, the last two requiring Zane to die first. I think having a full patrol and Grave as SQL protect me from that, as zane must suicide on Grave but then Kidnapping would not hurt too much (killing Focus Master, max Drakk would only end up kiling Grave and getting no benefit of free levels. Max zane would be useless as my patrol won't move, and both sharks would be needed to get Grave down, maxing Zane, but then he can't kill an Adept because of Focus Master. So I think both Adepts and YLD at least will survive, and that's enough for a base beatdown, or at least blasting both Tech buildings.

@zhavier

Actually, one of them did change. Each one got discarded though. It’s detailed under Next Hand in the turn 7 edit above. At least I think I did it right.

@Marto

And you, sir. Zane, the sacrificial lamb, was supposed to be the more enticing target. You could have left my poor building alone.

Yikes. Just took the time to actually look at your turn. I’m dying a not so slow death here.

1 Like

Sorry this took a minute. I painstakingly crafted a turn so precise, so delicate, and yet so devastating that angels gazed upon it and wept. Drakk was summoned and kidnapped this, Zane Maxbanded and shoved that. All damage was done one point over “exactly” lethal (cuz Focus Master). It was magnificent. Truly a thing of beauty. And quite illegal. No Tech 2 means one hero at a time.

So i fixed it because I’d already put in the work. Plus I wanted to see the draw, cause you never know. But the turn was stunted, the draw sucked balls, and this one is over. GG!

P1T9

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Plague Spitter
Plague Spitter

STARTING HAND
Disguised Monkey
Jandra, the Negator
Kidnapping
Poisonblade Rogue

WORKERS
Summon Skeletons
Skeletal Archery
Graveyard
Thieving Imp
Chameleon Lizzo

NextHand

Pirate Gunship
Gunpoint Taxman #1
Bloodlust
Crashbarrow

Discard

Kidnapping
Poisonblade Rogue
Disguised Monkey
Plague Spitter
Plague Spitter

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
No Worker
Zane L5 (3/1) suicides on Grave. 2 levels to Grave
Drakk arrives - ($7)
Kidnapping on Adept in Scavenger slot - ($3)
Traitor Adept Frenzily kills his twin in the Lookout position.
Jandra, the Negator - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Jandra, the Negator (3/3+1)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician: Drakk L1 (1/3)
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)
  • :heart: Tech Lab HP: 4 (Anarchy)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 11
  • Disc: 5

Gold:

• Workers: 9
Thoughts

This should do it. One last Kidnapping and let's see the draw. Well, Drakk will meet his demise, so no Bloodlust. Crashbarrow will be up on blocks in the yard, undriveable. The GPT ain't bad, especially with the AA. They've really been my workhorse this game. That's good, but sad. Finally, the Gunship is just a tad early. Actually, it's late. Just like my Tech 3 building.

1 Like

@zhavier

I have been bested. GG! to Marto.

@Marto

And I really do mean GG. Well done. I swung my Codex around like a hammer. You wielded yours like a rapier.

2 Likes

GG @witspur !

Reading your thoughts proved as captivating as playing the game ! It’s interesting to point out that we both played in ways very different from the other CAWS games we were involved in. Most of the time you rely on some spells to sort of control while you build up your disease Tech II and hit hard with Crows, Ghouls and all, but then you went Blood+Anarchy. I usually try and build some board presence to trade up and punish early teching, or building my own Tech II (strength) to combo with spells and hit harder than ever, just as you mentioned in your T2 thoughts, but this game, I played super defensively with Discipline for bodies and MPM. All this was about adapting our plans to how the other one was adaptating his own, and that’s what I love most in Codex.

In the end, Rook saved me from your heavy agression, so I felt like hiding behind my heavy shield more than fencing, but I appreciate nonetheless :slight_smile:
But just to make you right, here’s my last blow: you can’t trade both Adepts after kidnapping because Grave still stands in the way ! That was part of the plan :wink:

1 Like

Ha. Good point. I was still partly going off my original plan at that point.

My original, feverish plan involved Drak coming off the bench and kidnapping the Adept. Then Zane was to Maxband, shove Grave to Scavenger (pinging him so a 4 ATK on 3 Life kill could be made) and take him out. Then the Adepts were to trade. A Rogue was to come out to help in Patrol (I could afford it with the Scavenger $1) and Drakk would have soaked up the 2 free levels from the hero kill. Behind the Line Zane would have been hurt but alive after taking 3 DMG from Grave. It was brilliant. Rules…they can be so restrictive sometimes. The kicker after all that, though, is that with the Dragon hitting my Tech 2, I would’ve still been on my way to a loss because you had the ability to reload while I was, in effect, out of ammo.

I’m anxious to have a look at your commentary. You’re right, though. I avoided the air units unlike my previous games. I built the Tech lab early hoping you would see it as nothing but a Gunship play. Then I Teched the Lizzo and the Monkey. There were a few very close calls here and there. Where it might have turned (I think). I’ll know for sure after I see exactly what I was dealing with. Apparently though, I was jumping at shadows most of the game thinking you were about to come at me with dancing birds and a host of dragons. I saw one friggin dragon the whole time, but was spooked (by the birds at least) from the jump. Possibly because I knew I was putting the Gliders on the back burner.

BTW- It didn’t escape my attention that I wasn’t able to Maxband Zane for $1 and then suicide him to make way for Drakk. It was make an ineffective attack, or keep him on the board. Once my two hero error dawned on me, I wasn’t putting in any more time trying to come up with something better. Like I think I mentioned, this game was over a few turns ago.

2 Likes