CAWS 2016: petE ([Anarchy]/Strength/Growth) vs. robinz ([Blood]/Feral/Present)

@robinz good luck, enjoy the tournament !

P1 Turn1

[details=StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
STARTING HAND
Careless Musketeer
Bloodrage Ogre
Charge
Scorch
Nautical Dog

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=NextHand][spoiler]
Bombaster
Bloodburn
Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Discard][spoiler]
Bloodrage Ogre
Scorch
Charge

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Argagarg, summon Wisp - ($1)
Nautical Dog - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argagarg lvl 1 (1/3 + 1)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Nautical Dog (1/1)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]

Think that my best plan for this game is an early MoLaC, as his deck has no way of removing once it’s out. For the early game I need to be careful of his heroes (Cal/Drakk) that could be pretty aggressive in combination with the red starter. Along with his very solid Tech I options, don’t think I’ll achieve much just by being aggressive. So opening with Argagarg, with the possibility of maxbanding next turn to set up a solid board.

[/spoiler][/details]

1 Like

Thanks, @petE - the same to you. This is my first tournament - and I’m pretty new to this game in general (and certainly to the 3-spec combination I’m playing, it’s an invention of my own which I thought could be fun), so I’m just hoping to enjoy myself and hopefully learn something!

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Mad Man
Bombaster
Scorch
Nautical Dog
Pillage

WORKERS
Pillage

NextHand

Careless Musketeer
Charge
Bloodburn
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre

Discard

Mad Man
Scorch
Nautical Dog

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Bombaster - ($2)
Drakk - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Bombaster (2/2+1A)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger: lv 1 Drakk (1/3)
  • :pschip: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:
    In Play:

Buildings:

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Disc: 3
    Gold:
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

So, I’ve not been playing Codex for very long, and have tried multicolor combinations for even less time. This is one of a couple of multicolor decks that I’ve come up with, but I’ve not actually played it yet (I’ve one casual PBF game currently on the go with it, but that’s only up to turn 3). My intuition says it should be fairly strong, but actually making it work may be another matter. This combination of 3 specs is designed to play aggressively - the 2 main “themes” are haste (from the red starter, Drakk and his spells, Geiger’s Now!, and both Blood and Present Tech 2s) and pulling from the codex whichever units suit the current situation (Feral Strike is the star here, but there is also WGD in Present Tech 2, as well as Calamandra’s maxband for the 2 tigers). Plus Drakk and Calamandra are two of my favourite heroes in the game.

I think this deck will usually go for present Tech 2, and hope to max Calamandra in the midgame to play Feral Strike a couple of times (boosted if possible, but once you have a few “off-spec” Tech 2s in your deck you might line them up to be able to just use the “put cards into play” part), and possibly do similar things with WGD if there is scope to get him on the board and survive for a turn or two. None of the Tech 3s available are particularly strong, so I will hope to apply pressure and win the game at Tech 2. This may necessitate a Heroes’ Hall, because I feel all 3 heroes have a key role to play - but depending on the game circumstances 2 may be enough, so I won’t build one early.

As for his deck - I’ve not played against it before (I haven’t played against much of anything yet tbh), but I read a brief description of it from my opponent here Strength + Growth - #7 by petE - and it sounds pretty scary. My deck doesn’t have many counters to much of these things, so my plan will have to be to apply lots of pressure and stop him setting up his combos. Will be tough as P2 against a much more experienced player - but I’m playing in this tournament for fun and to learn, not because I expect to win many games!

And this opening hand was not the one I wanted as P2, facing that opening. My first thought was Drakk (or Calamandra) plus Nautical Dog, with the hero in Squad Leader - but he already has 3 attack on the board, and can easily get a 4th, from either of the starting deck units with haste, or from levelling Arg to midband and buffing Dog or Wisp. So I can’t put a 3HP hero in squad leader without giving him the option of killing it for free levels on Arg, which I can’t afford to give him. For this reason, I’ve just played the biggest unit I can there, with Drakk protected (but still patrolling to stop petE gratuitously hitting my base, I can level Drakk next turn to heal). To kill the Bombaster he’ll either have to trade another unit for it along with the dog, or buff the dog with midband Arg, which will take up 2 of his gold that he might have wanted to spend on something else (2 is all we will have assuming he plays a worker and builds Tech 1). And if he leaves Bombaster alive I might be able to blow up something good with him.

You may wonder why Drakk and not Calamandra - I think they’re both great early-game heroes, and if anything I generally prefer Calamandra (bigger stats, easier to level up, and imo better spells for the early game), but I’ve already decided I need to sieze the intiative as early as I can and apply some pressure. And Drakk is much better for that, due to his midband (and maxband if I can get there) as well as Bloodlust. And it’s with aggression in mind that I’ve workered Pillage rather than Scorch - while Scorch will probably get workered next cycle, it’s not unimaginable that I might want a quick 2 damage at some point.

2 Likes

P1 Turn2

[details=Tech StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
TECH
Gunpoint Taxman
Spirit of the Panda

STARTING HAND
Bloodburn
Mad Man
Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn

[/spoiler][/details]

Gunpoint Taxman
Bloodrage Ogre
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster
Spirit of the Panda

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Argagarg to maxband, summon Water Elemental - ($0)
Argagarg taps to give Nautical Dog +1/+1
Nautical Dog trades with Bombaster

Float ($0)
Discard 4, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Water Elemental (3/3 + 1)
  • Argagarg lvl 5 (1/5)

• Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 6

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Argonaut
Huntress

STARTING HAND
Bloodburn
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer

WORKERS
Pillage
Bloodburn

NextHand

Bombaster
Charge
Scorch
Huntress
Nautical Dog

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Bloodrage Ogre

• ($3)
    Tech 1 - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2+1A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: lv 1 Drakk (1/3)

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

Hmm, interesting. I suggested that it might be best for him to midband Arg in order to trade his dog for my bombaster, but that he wouldn’t then be able to do much else. He actually did that, but spent the 2 gold that I assumed he would spend on building Tech 1 on maxing Arg - giving him a Water Elemental which is roughly equivalent to a Tech 1 unit. That kinda hurts - he has large board presence. But he’s had to delay Tech 1 for it, and I think therein lies my only hope of playing for any kind of advantage.

I considered going down on cards to play Charge on the Ogre. That would kill the elemental, at the cost of my ogre. But I would also miss out on Tech 1, and he’d have max Arg + Wisp vs my level 1 Drakk, which feels like I’d be quite a way behind. So instead I’ve just patrolled the Ogre in squad leader. He can trade it for the Elemental, which I expect he will, but then he’ll struggle to do enough damage to kill Drakk. (It’s obviously not impossible, but I’m not hugely bothered if he manages it. It would take a lucky draw and some commitment of gold/cards - and he can’t use the free levels, meanwhile I’d draw another card and do 1 damage to his base, being well placed to get Tech 2 units on the board fast as I can build Tech 2 next turn.) And I’ve tried to take advantage of being the first to have a Tech 1 building by teching 2 units. One Argonaut was obvious, I’m pretty sure it’s the best of my Tech 1s, I value Readiness more highly than Overpower (Centaur), particularly when he’s the one who’s going to be applying pressure for the next couple of turns. The second was not so clear. I’ve gone for Huntress because it could help kill the Wisp, or any other weak units he puts in his patrol - so could Centaur of course, but I expect we’ll see Rook and his birds once he hits Tech 2, and I’d like to have a bit of anti-air in there. It’s a gamble, which may backfire, but since I intend to be teching no more Tech 1s for a while I’d like to have something which is valuable in the long run.

The big question is: what has he teched? He might have gambled on a Tech 1 unit and hoped not to draw it - but otherwise, sensibly it can only be Arg’s spells. If so I would guess he’s gone for Spirit of the Panda, which would make one of his Tech 0 units as big as a Tech 1 while generating gold, and healing him. That could be a problem, but I hope that by rushing for big Tech 1s/Tech 2s sooner I can get around it. Dinosize? I’m not too worried, he’s got enough attack on the board to take out my patrollers anyway, although the armour to let his units survive could be a problem. But all of these are rather expensive for this early part of the game, particularly for P1. Polymorph Squirrel also doesn’t scare me yet, but it could be a problem later (particularly if I go for Immortals). Stampede could be kind of ridiculous, but again it’s too expensive to be a sensible option now. It will be a huge threat later though, and accentuatues that I need to either kill Arg or at least wipe much of his board. And the only way to do that is to rush up to Tech 2 (probably Present, but I will give due consideration to Blood depending on what his board looks like).

P1 Turn3

TECH
Might of Leaf and Claw
Might of Leaf and Claw

STARTING HAND
Bloodrage Ogre
Makeshift Rambaster
Spirit of the Panda
Charge
Gunpoint Taxman

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Charge

[/spoiler][/details]

Nautical Dog
Scorch
Bombaster
Mad Man
Pillage

[/spoiler][/details]

Spirit of the Panda
Makeshift Rambaster
Gunpoint Taxman
Might of Leaf and Claw
Might of Leaf and Claw

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Bloodrage Ogre - ($3)
Tech I - ($1)
Argagarg taps to give Water Elemental +1/1
Water Elemental kills your Bloodrage Ogre

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2)
  • Argagarg lvl 5 (1/5)
  • Water Elemental (3/1)
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

• Disc: 5
  • Workers: 7

(edited patrol slots)

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]

I get to kill BRO and have Elemental survive, though my units will get cleaned up pretty efficiently if he has Bloodlust in hand (by targeting Elemental + one of his units).

[/spoiler][/details]

1 Like

P2T3

TECH
Tricycloid
Ferocity

STARTING HAND
Scorch
Nautical Dog
Charge
Huntress
Bombaster

WORKERS
Pillage
Bloodburn
Scorch

NextHand

Careless Musketeer
Mad Man
Argonaut
Makeshift Rambaster

Discard

Bloodrage Ogre
Charge
Huntress
Nautical Dog
Bombaster
Tricycloid
Ferocity

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Huntress - ($5)
Drakk casts Charge on Huntress, giving her haste (and +1 attack) this turn - ($3)
Huntress trades with your Bloodrage Ogre, with sparkshot taking out the wisp. You get a gold and a card.
level Drakk to midband - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: lv 4 Drakk (2/3+1A)

• Hand: 4
  • Disc: 7
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

Well this is looking grim already. It’s hard as P2 against the Red starter - particularly when he has Arg as well to buff his units at no cost in gold or cards. I’d be interested to hear from stronger players afterwards how I could have handled this better (I think I probably did the right thing on turn 1, my turn 2 is kind of lame but I really didn’t see how I could have done better).

The original plan, as implied in my last post, was to build Tech 2 and discard 3 cards, giving the chance of drawing into one of my Tech 2s. But I now don’t feel I can do that - if I go Tech 2 + worker + huntress, presumably with Huntress in SQL, he can use Ogre+Elemental to kill both Drakk and Huntress. That gives him an advantage of 2 units/heroes over me even if he can’t keep either attacker alive, and while I would have a chance at being the first to get a Tech 2 unit on the board, that’s far from guaranteed - and having an Arg+Wisp headstart on me is scary with the prospect of Stampede/SotP and Growth Tech 2 to come.

So I’ve gone down on cards to take out 2 of his units for only 1 of mine. Hopefully this will surprise him, I don’t think he’ll have been expecting Huntress, and he patrolled in exactly the way that allows me to take advantage. He is going to have a lot of resources going into T4, but I think killing the Technician will work to my advantage, because he’ll be reshuffling before his next 2 teched cards go in the discard pile, which probably means that even if he builds Tech 2 next turn he’ll have to wait another shuffle to get Tech 2s in his hand. Meanwhile, after I’ve built Tech 2 I will have 2-3 of them in my deck and can hopefully start to apply some pressure of my own.

As you’ll see, I’m definitely going with Present, and I think Tricycloid is the best unit to start with, to hopefully take out some of his weaker units/heroes when it arrives and then be a resonable body after that. I’m deliberately not teching 2 of anything yet, as I would like to have all options in my codex for later Feral Strike or WGD plays (plus it’s expensive). I want to start teching some spells as well - Kidnapping should be good, but I don’t want one of Drakk’s spells yet because he may have just been killed when I draw it. So I’ve gone with Ferocity - this looks like being a messy fight through the next couple of turns and both Swift Strike and Armour Piercing could be very relevant. I love Geiger’s spells, but Now! doesn’t add that much when I already have Charge+the red starter+a potential later max Drakk, it’s too early for Temporal Distortion to do much, and RoN is too expensive for this stage of the game (particularly when I’m already teching Tricycloid). And I will definitely want to get Calamandra involved as soon as it’s safe to do so, because I’m definitely going to try for Feral Strike.

Of course petE has got enough on board already to kill Drakk next turn, but by putting him in Squad Leader I force my opponent to at least buff the elemental. (And not something else, like a Makeshift Rambaster.) And by spending 3 to midband him - which might seem a waste if he’s going to get killed - I ensure that, even with armour from Arg, the elemental must also die in so doing.

I’m definitely still behind, because he has Arg+Elemental against just my Drakk (or Arg vs nothing if he does the trade), and will presumably play at least one Tech 1 unit next turn. But I feel I’m surviving long enough to make a game of it - I’ve got Argonaut for defence next turn (and aggressive options if I decide they’re more valuable) my Tech 2 options should affect the board more quickly than his (unless he goes Anarchy, which I think is unlikely).

P1 Turn4

TECH
Surprise Attack
Surprise Attack

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Scorch
Pillage
Nautical Dog
Mad Man
Bloodrage Ogre (technician draw)

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Charge
Pillage

[/spoiler][/details]

Might of Leaf and Claw
Gunpoint Taxman
Spirit of the Panda
Makeshift Rambaster
Might of Leaf and Claw

[/spoiler][/details]

Bombaster
Scorch
Mad Man
Surprise Attack
Surprise Attack

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float + scav - ($9)
Draw from technician
Worker - ($8)
Bloodrage Ogre - ($6)
Nautical Dog - ($5)
Build Tech II Growth - ($1)
Argagarg taps to give +1/1 to Water Elemental
Water Elemental trades with Drakk

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)
  • Argagarg lvl 5 (1/5)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

• Disc: 5
  • Workers: 8

Your base should be on 19 (why does everyone forget Drakk’s topband?) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

P2T4

TECH
Hyperion
Kidnapping

STARTING HAND
Argonaut
Careless Musketeer
Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster

WORKERS
Pillage
Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer

NextHand

Hyperion
Nautical Dog
Huntress
Mad Man

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Tech 2 (Present) - ($3)
Argonaut - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argonaut (3/4+1A, readiness)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Present)

• Deck: 7
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

No much to say here, other than that trading Elemental for Drakk was entirely predictable. What wasn’t was him being able to play both Dog and Ogre from his new hand. I suppose that was more likely with my giving him a card. I’m gambling he doesn’t have any Tech 2 cards in hand because I forced him to reshuffle, but I guess I could be wrong - after all he didn’t have to put the Ogre in technician on his turn 3.

I’m not surprised he’s gone for Growth, given what he said about his deck’s gameplan. I have nothing to combat MoLaC directly, so I have to try to stop him getting a board. At least I have (I hope) a turn to do that before it could hit the table.

So my turn is also entirely predictable, given the contents of my hand and discard pile. Build Tech 2 present, and get the Argonaut down in squad leader. At least T2 Growth has no haste, so I don’t have to worry about that (although he does have Charge). Zane may well make an appearance now he can have 2 heroes out (I really hope without any sharks!) - but otherwise, he’ll have to trade in 2 units for the Argonaut. It’s just a shame I don’t have enough gold to summon Calamandra, to take advantage of a Zane suicide. But I’m not putting her in patrol to die straight away and give him free levels on his second hero. (Will be interesting to see if it’s Rook or Zane, if it’s Rook he needs to die ASAP!)

Techs: other than the obvious Hyperion, I’ve gone for Kidnapping to try to wrest back some board control. (Kidnapping a Blooming Ancient would be a happy thought, particularly if he’s foolishly left runes on it!) I’m worried that I have a lot of expensive stuff in there, but at least I will have options even if I draw more than I can afford to play in one turn.

I suspect this game will be decided over the next 2-3 turns (although we’re T4 already, most games are decided by T7 anyway). I still feel like an underdog, but I’m not necessarily out of this by any means. (OK, seen my next hand now: only Hyperion is a “must play”. And I have MM for a quick-damage option if I need it. Not great, but it could be a lot worse. At least I should get back up to 5 cards unless I’m under loads of pressure to act.)

P1 Turn5

TECH
Stampede
Stampede

STARTING HAND
Might of Leaf and Claw
Spirit of the Panda
Gunpoint Taxman
Might of Leaf and Claw
Makeshift Rambaster

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn
Charge
Pillage
Spirit of the Panda

[/spoiler][/details]

Nautical Dog
Bloodrage Ogre
Mad Man
Scorch

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
Might of Leaf and Claw - ($5)
Makeshift Rambaster - ($3)
Zane - ($1)
Ogre and Dog trade with Argonaut, 2 runes on MoLaC
Zane and Rambaster break your Tech II, further 2 runes on MoLaC
Argagarg deals 1dmg to your Base, 5th rune activates MoLaC

Float ($1)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• Might of Leaf and Claw [active]
  • Argagarg lvl 5 (6/10)
  • Zane lvl 1 (7/7)
  • Makeshift Rambaster (6/7)
  • :heart: Base HP: 19
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

• Deck: 7
  • Workers: 9

Yikes. I’m clearly going to have to concede here. I think I made the best decisions I could throughout the game (although I’m sure strong players will tell me where I didn’t), but I thought I had a chance to come back because I didn’t expect you to have any Tech 2s until you reshuffled. Well played, now to read through your hidden information to see what you were up to!

@EricF, petE has won this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One obvious mistake is in your turn 3. If you’d maxbanded Drakk before playing Huntress, you would have got everything you got from Charge (haste and +1 attack), and you would have ended the turn with 1 extra card in hand and with a max band Drakk (who would have had too many hp to die to buffed Water Elemental)

5 Likes

GG, thanks !

A few times during the game I thought you could have set up the patrol more to your advantage – particularly when it looked likely/certain that a unit was going to die irrespective of whether it was in SQL. For example, the Bombaster on T1 could have been in scavenger to get you the bonus; your Ogre on T2 could have been in Elite to be sure my Elemental would not survive, or in scavenger for the bonus; and Drakk could have been in Elite on T3 for the extra 1atk without spending $3 to midband. These small things add up to a big difference over a few turns, particularly when they make the difference between an opposing unit surviving vs not surviving an attack, or having the $$ to level up a powerful hero like Drakk earlier.

Good luck in your next games, sure you’ll learn very fast. Your deck is set up to be aggressive, so should be good fun when you’re P1.

3 Likes

The cards that you tech in at the start of your T3 will typically appear in your hand on T5 and T6. So including Tech II cards at that point maximizes the chances that you’ll be able to play 1 or 2 of these the turn after you build your Tech II. It means committing to a particular Tech II spec early in the game when you don’t have so much information about what your opponent is doing – but when Tech II units are really strong (eg Hyperions/Crashbarrows/etc in your deck, MoLaCs/Ancients/etc in mine), it’s often worth it. In this game, I decided early on for a MoLaC plan, so teched in two of them at the start of T3. As things worked out, the technician draw/reshuffle when your Huntress killed the Ogre on T3 gave me a small cycle of 6 cards that guaranteed I’d see at least one of the MoLaCs on T5. I see you teched in a Tricycloid at the start of T3, so were also on to this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointers everyone. Yes, I do hope to have more success playing this as P1. In this game I just never felt like I got into the game - as P2 against the red starter you’re always under pressure, but getting Arg out early and then maxing him on T2 added to that severely. I was surprised you skipped Tech 1 on turn 2 in order to do that (so much so that it didn’t figure in my calculations at all), but clearly it paid off, despite drawing a Gunpoint Taxman that you couldn’t play. In general I try to avoid situations where I’m possibly drawing into Tech 1/Tech 2 cards before the relevant Tech building is complete, but I can see now that I’m clearly being too cautious in that regard.

On @Jadiel’s point - he is of course correct, and I am embarassed to have missed that, especially in PBF format where I can spend a lot of time reconsidering my moves (and did spend quite some time on that particular turn). His play is certainly clearly better if only because it ends with a max Drakk, but I was initially not sure of the value of the extra card in this particular case, because it would involve me reshuffling and drawing into Tech 2 units before I had a Tech 2 building. (And only having the one Tech 2 unit in the next cycle, whereas it could have been 3 if I’d waited a turn to reshuffle.) I now see that this kind of thinking is really holding me back, and I need to ditch it - so that is one valuable lesson in this game. (This flawed thinking of mine was why I thought it was actually advantageous for me to kill your Technician Ogre, because I didn’t think you’d have teched any Tech 2s yet, quite erroneously.)

In any case, I shouldn’t kid myself that it was your Tech 2 plan that beat me in this game. MoLaC just improved your position from dominant to ridiculously so - even without it I’d have surely had no way back, with you having a unit and 2 heroes against my empty board and a broken Tech 2 building. I lost this game at Tech 0/Tech 1 level - and in fact it’s worse than that, in that in the whole game, other than MoLaC, you only used Tech 0 units together with heros and their abilities. You teched some Tech 1s and spells, but never needed to use them! :unamused:

I agree that I need to improve how I organise my patrollers - but I will point out that it is something that I do think about. If I think something will certainly die anyway, and will be just as easy to kill in SQL as in Scavenger/Technician, I will patrol in one of the latter slots. But I think in every case in this game, when I patrolled something in SQL that I know full well you could kill, the extra armour forced you to either trade an extra unit of yours, or at least use Arg’s midband, in order to kill it. So it was a conscious attempt to try to keep your board under control while I build up to my powerful Tech 2 options. [And with Ogre at my T2, I was trying to protect Drakk - had Ogre been in Elite I assume you’d have left Ogre alone and taken an easy kill of Drakk.] Clearly it failed horribly, but there was thought behind it.

One final thing, you refer to this game as being one in which “Tech II units are really strong” - is there any game in which this is not the case? As far as I can see, every single spec has really strong Tech 2s - the jump in value from Tech 1 to Tech 2 seems vastly bigger than that between Tech 0 and Tech 1, or even between Tech 2 and Tech 3 (with the exception of Anarchy for the latter, perhaps Past too). I would expect at least 80% of games are decided in fights between boards involving Tech 2 (but not Tech 3) units/buildings/upgrades. And I was trying to get to Tech 2 quickly - I would have built Tech 2 on turn 3 had it not been for the fact that you could then have wiped my board and maintained a big lead in units/heroes, enough to still be able to do significant damage until your own Tech 2s came online. I really hadn’t appreciate how much Arg in combination with the red starter could put P2 under the cosh - I would have loved to have responded by midbanding Drakk, but I could never afford it because it was more important to get more units out.

Thanks again for the game, and for the advice. Good luck in the rest of the tournament - I’m sure your deck will cause big problems for players much stronger than me!

2 Likes

Actually, it is a lot easier for player 1 to skip tech 1, because as long as they build it t3, they dont really lose tempo, because the earliest player 1 can ever build tech 2 is t4. When you are player 2, it is a lot more difficult to skip building tech 1, because it is so important to get to tech 2 for most strategies, and payer 2 can usually move from defense to offense by getting a protected tech 2 on t3.

3 Likes

Tech II units are always better than Tech I units, although for some specs (e.g. Truth, Necromancy, maybe others) the difference is minimal.

However, Blood and Present have some of the strongest Tech II units relative to the Tech II units of other specs, and certainly compared to the units available in petE’s squad. That means you could feel confident that just going to, say, Tech II Present and playing some Warp Gate Disciples or other Tech II stuff would be powerful enough to compete with whatever petE was doing, so you wouldn’t need to wait for more information and try to counter his plan (which is something that, say, mono-blue or mono-white would have to worry about).

4 Likes