Casual: Hobusu vs robinz

I think it’s time for me to call it a day - well played.

You probably guessed, I was just trying to hang on to Tech 2 (and then Tech 3) long enough to get a gunship or two on the board. But even getting to play some Tech 2 stuff might have helped! As it turns out, my hand is totally dead this turn, apart from a Careless Musketeer who I can’t even give haste to (I guess I could suicide Jaina to summon Drakk, but that wouldn’t exactly have you getting worried.) Believe it or not, I planned my turn for a bit, before realising I’d just played 2 Tech 2 units that I wasn’t allowed to!

I knew it would be over if you played Earthquake, or a YLD or two appeared - I’d overlooked Training Grounds as a way to smash my Tech 2 that turn.

I’m glad you got a win, you’re definitely overdue one in this series! As I already said, I was effectively dead after your turn 4 - I must look back over what I did those first 3 turns to see where it all went so wrong. (I’m sure Red doesn’t really suit me, mind you.)

1 Like

Good game! I think my turn 3 really decided it, since it got me some of those free levels that Rook really needs if he’s going to get to max. From there it was just white doing white things, really. I can’t look to see what the better play would have been right now, but that’s what you should focus on when looking back over the game.

Edit: Took a quick look, and that wasn’t a very good hand to work with on your turn 2. If you had skipped Bloodburn and used Makeshift Rambaster to kill Aged Sensei, you could have patrolled Mad Man… But I could still get the kill with either Grappling Hook (if you patrolled both) or Rook’s midband (if you only patrolled Mad Man). You would still have had 2 units on the board, so that might have helped you get a revenge kill, but if I had thought there was a real danger of that I would have spent the $1 to max him right after killing Drakk…

I guess maybe if you’d teched more Fire spells (especially Flame Arrow), those could have done some work since I never killed Jaina. Either that or use her as an attacker, since every turn I destroyed your Tech II and you kept her around was a turn I didn’t have to worry about Zane popping out or Drakk buffing your units. Zane would probably have worried me most when I only had max-level Rook, since suicide him wouldn’t have cost you cards or given me levels, and depending on the circumstances he could have given you a gold or card as he left.

I wouldn’t worry about Red not suiting you, since there’s several ways to play it. It is one of the harder factions, since it requires so much careful planning to avoid overextending, but if you experiment I’m sure you’ll find a plan or two that you’ll like!

Are you up for another game, @robinz?

1 Like

Yeah, I’d cetainly accept another game.

I’d really like to start experimenting with some multicolor decks - but it’s probably sensible to play another game as Red so I hopefully don’t make a hash of it this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s up to you, but I was just thinking that I’d like to try a multicolor myself! I’ll only try it if you use a multicolor codex; if not, I’ll stick with White.

OK, I’ll try to be a bit crazy - so you can join me! I have no idea if this deck even really does much (it’s not as if I’m looking at a specific combo that’ll win the game, although there are a few possibilities maybe), I’ve got a feeling it might crash and burn horribly. But I think it sounds fun so I have to try it in a game at some point :wink:

So I’m going to try [Future]/Necromancy/Balance. If you want to roll for first player, I got 52/100.

1 Like

I rolled 91, so I’ll go first with [Ninjutsu]/Growth/Present. Good luck!

Player 1 Turn 1

Starting Hand and Workers

STARTING HAND

Grappling Hook
Sensei’s Advice
Savior Monk
Fox Primus
Fox Viper

WORKERS

Fox Viper

Next Hand

Aged Sensei
Safe Attacking
Morningstar Flagbearer
Smoker
Snapback

Discard

Savior Monk
Grappling Hook
Sensei’s Advice

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Recruit Fox Primus - ($0)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Fox Primus (2/2) [Frenzy 1, anti-air]
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:
    In Play:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    Gold:
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5
Thoughts

First time using multi-color, and I’m trying a codex with two of my favorite heroes that’s meant to activate my favorite upgrade! Not the best opening hand, but if he doesn’t have Fading Argonaut it’ll let me get a good bit of early pressure. I’m not sure what the synergy with his codex is supposed to be, but if he focuses on summoning skeletons with Garth I’ll just tech Shuriken Hail.

2 Likes

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Battle Suits
Nullcraft
Neo Plexus
Fading Argonaut
Tinkerer

WORKERS
Battle Suits

NextHand

Forgotten Fighter
Hardened Mox
Temporal Research
Time Spiral
Plasmodium

Discard

Neo Plexus
Tinkerer
Nullcraft

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Fading Argonaut - ($2)
summon Garth Torken

• ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Fading Argonaut [2/3+1A, Fading, 3 runes]
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: lv. 1 Garth [1/3]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

I’m not really sure what the “thing” of his deck is - but I guess you could say the same about mine! I guess he’ll go with stealthy ninjas buffed by Arg/Dinosize/SotP - or perhaps MoLaC followed by lots of Ninja Tokens. The latter could be pretty scary actually.

This deck I’m playing might not actually cope with that very well. But I’ve been thinking about it for a while as a deck to use, so I’ll give a relatively full introduction to my thoughts on it (warning: wall of text follows!):

The initial idea was really to use the Necromancy stuff (Garth+Bone Collector) to spam lots of skeletons, and hope to go with Future Tech 2 and, if I can keep lots of skeletons alive, sacrifice them all (+ other workers/units as needed) to get Omegacrons active. But that’s not the only plan - I love Future’s Tech 2 Fliers, and if I can get enough money (Promise of Payment may help) they could be a great game-winning option. I think I’ll generally need to turtle a bit in the early game and not rush for Tech 2 - early techs will be Bone Collectors and a Lich’s Bargain to be played 1 or 2 times, to give me some defence. (Garth’s other 2 spells are also great for protecting me from scary units/heroes.) For that reason, I think I need a Heroes’ Hall relatively early - Garth is the main hero for the early game, but I might need Vir or Midori for their spells relatively early (a max Vir will also help with the defensive wall if I can get some time-rune removal going, Tinkerer and Time Spiral are options for later, although of course I can’t play Tinkerer early).

I will generally want to go Future at Tech 2, as indicated - but Necromancy is an alternative, either if I can get enough skeletons to make me think Skeletal Lord is an option to cheat something into play, or if the opponent goes heavily hero-focused, so I can use Wight for hero removal.

I considered using the Black starter for this build, because of wating to play with Skeletons and having Garth out in the early game. I may yet decide that is better. But I do think I favour Purple at the moment, because the time-rune manipulators could come into their own in the midgame, and there are generally solid early-game units like Fading Argonaut and Hardened Mox (the latter is particularly good if I intend to stall before going to Tech 2, as likely). Plus Nullcraft could be key in some matchups.

As for the third spec - I’m not 100% sure what is best, and may change my mind later. But Balance is attractive to me for a few reasons - Moment’s Peace if I find myself facing superior forces and need to buy some time to get mine built up, Tiny Basilisk as a great Tech 1 unit (especially as I intend to stay at Tech 1 for longer than normal), and Midori, both to buff my skeletons/zombies and perhaps to get to max level if I need a flyer in a hurry.

That’s enough theorycrafting - what about this actual hand? Battle Suits is an obvious worker - it will just never get any play in this deck (I think the only soldiers I have access to are the Future Tech 1s, neither of which I intend to use). And Fading Argonaut is the strongest combat unit in the starting deck, so I’ve gone with that.

It’s curious that he played Fox Primus - which is expensive and usually workered pretty early. I’m guessing he was worried about Nullcraft? Whatever, my FA is safe for this turn if I put it in Squad Leader. Next turn I want to do worker+skeleton+Tech 1 (worker either Plasmodium or Forgotten Fighter), but that’s already 4 of my 6 gold so I can’t play the Mox. I may skip the Skeleton then, or perhaps not play a card from hand. Tech will definitely be at least 1 Bone Collector, and probably Lich’s Bargain - but a second BC or a Tiny Basilisk could also be options. Let’s see what he does.

Oh, and here’s a link to what I’m playing, for ease of reference: http://codexcarddb.com/deck/future/necromancy/balance/images

1 Like

Don’t forget (like I nearly did) that your first Tech I or Add-on costs extra with multicolor!

Player 1 Turn 2

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Argonaut
Inverse-Power Ninja

STARTING HAND

Safe Attacking
Aged Sensei
Snapback
Smoker
Morningstar Flagbearer

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer

Next Hand

Snapback
Smoker
Grappling Hook
Savior Monk

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Build Tech I - ($2)
Research Safe Attacking - ($1)
Recruit Aged Sensei - ($0)
Fox Primus duels with Fading Argonaut, both combatants suvive with 1 HP
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1)
  • Safe Attacking
  • Fox Primus (2/1) [Frenzy 1, anti-air]
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 3
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

I just had the horrible realization that he has access to Assimilate, so any plan involving Might of Leaf and Claw is far too risky. With that in mind, I’m now looking at Blooming Ancient combined with Temporal Distortion and Fox’s Den Students. I’ll have to look at what he does to see if there’s anything wrong with that plan, of course.

1 Like

Yeah, I knew that in advance - but thanks for making sure!

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Bone Collector
Lich’s Bargain

STARTING HAND
Time Spiral
Forgotten Fighter
Hardened Mox
Temporal Research
Plasmodium

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter

NextHand

Bone Collector
Plasmodium
Neo Plexus
Lich’s Bargain
Temporal Research

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Fading Argonaut fades to 2 runes
Worker - ($5)
Build Tech 1 - ($3)
Hardened Mox - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Hardened Mox [1/1, indestructible]
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Fading Argonaut [2/1, Fading, 2 runes]
  • lv. 1 Garth [1/3]

• :heart: Tech 1 HP: 5

• Deck: 3
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

Not much to say here that I didn’t say last turn. Decided to go with Mox, because I should get pretty good value out of it when I don’t intend to go to Tech 2 for quite a while. (Lich’s Bargain will of course also naturally slow me from getting to that by eating my workers!)

It probably doesn’t matter whether I worker Plasmodium or FF, because I can’t see playing either of them. I went with FF because Plasmodium might just end up getting played on the next cycle or the one after, if I can get a safe Tinkerer behind my planned defensive wall. But it’s likely to be a worker if things aren’t perfect for it.

His play is curious in that he hasn’t summoned a hero yet. That may be a smart move in that I have no idea which spells to possibly prepare for. It looks like he is also building up and not going for combat just yet, so this could be a pretty interesting and drawn-out game! (But then why the strange “trade” that didn’t kill either unit? I can’t really see the purpose of that, but then I’ve hardly played this game yet.)

Aside: I for some reason only realised since my last turn that, if he goes for MoLaC, I can Assimilate it providing I can bring in Vir (and have teched it in preparation - I probably should as soon as he builds a Growth Tech 2). That’s such a great spell, it’s almost worth playing Future for on its own (only against certain decks that have key upgrades or buildings, of course).

Player 1 Turn 3

TECH

Shuriken Hail
Hidden Ninja

STARTING HAND

Snapback
Savior Monk
Grappling Hook
Smoker

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Savior Monk

Next Hand

Argonaut
Hidden Ninja
Inverse-Power Ninja
Sensei’s Advice

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Fox Primus safely attacks Mox, exhausing it
Aged Sensei trades with Fading Argonaut, you gain a gold
Recruit Smoker - ($4)
Summon Setsuki - ($2)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($2)
Discard 2, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Smoker (1/1)
  • Safe Attacking
  • Setsuki Hiruki Lv. 1 (1/3) [Costs 1 to attack]

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 2
Thoughts

I think that was a safe turn, but it’s a little hard to tell… If Setsuki lives I can use Hidden Ninja as a cantrip if nothing else, and since it’s extremely unlikely he can break my Tech I I’ll be able to play my choice of Argonaut or Inverse-Power Ninja next turn. Still unsure of which Tech II to use, but the thought of double Blooming Ancient and Smoker is amazing, so I’m likely to try that.

P2T3

TECH
Bone Collector
Unphase

STARTING HAND
Bone Collector
Neo Plexus
Temporal Research
Lich’s Bargain
Plasmodium

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
(Neo Plexus - killed by bargaining with Lich)

NextHand

Time Spiral
Tinkerer
Nullcraft
Temporal Research

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
get gold from Scavenger’s death - ($7)
Bone Collector - ($5)
Garth casts Lich’s Bargain - evil hordes arrive, taking as payment one of my workers and doing 4 damage to my base - ($3)
Garth makes another skeleton - ($2)
build a Heroes’ Hall - ($0)

Float ($0)

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Horror [3/3+1A, Deathtouch]
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Hardened Mox [1+1/1, indestructible]
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Skeleton [1/1]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Skeleton [1/1]
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Zombie [2/2]

• lv. 1 Garth [1/3]
  • Bone Collector [3/3]

• :heart: Base HP: 16
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Deck: 5
Thoughts

So I continued my run (3 games out of 4 now) of getting both my initial Techs on turn 3. I think it served me pretty well here.

The turn kind of played itself, the only real thought being over what to patrol where. Initially I was trying to keep the Horror behind the lines to hopefully take out something good of his next turn. (I teched Unphase partly with this in mind - the Heroes’ Hall means I can have both Vir and Garth out, unless he kills Garth of course.) But on reflection, I decided it was much better in Squad Leader, to force him to suicide several of his units/heroes if he wants to get through my defences by attacking normally (once he has Swift Strike that will fail to apply, of course - but he’d have to max Setsuki to do it this turn). This has the further huge benefit of allowing me to put Hardened Mox in Elite, which will make his units still take damage from attacking it, despite Safe Attacking.

My main wory for the immediate future is if he has Hidden Ninja, in which case he can kill either Garth or BC - if the former he gets free levels on Setsuki of course. But I still feel I’m in a decent position. From next turn I’ll start preparing for Future Tech 2 - probably starting with a Void Star to get immediately into play (once Tech 2 has finished building) by maxbanding Garth!

Player 1 Turn 4

TECH

Argonaut
Fox’s Den Students

STARTING HAND

Inverse-Power Ninja
Sensei’s Advice
Argonaut
Hidden Ninja
Grappling Hook

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Savior Monk
Grappling Hook

Next Hand

Aged Sensei
Shuriken Hail
Argonaut
Snapback

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Setsuki casts Hidden Ninja on herself and Fox Primus, I draw a card - ($7)
Fox Primus sneaks past your patrollers and safely kills Garth, giving Setsuki 2 free levels
Level Setsuki to max - ($4)
Smoker suicides into Horror to remove its armor
Setsuki swiftly kills Horror
Recruit Argonaut - ($1)
Worker - ($0)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($0)

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argonaut (3/4+a)
  • Safe Attacking
  • Setsuki Hiruki Lv. 6 (3/4) [Costs 1 to attack]

• Deck: 5
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

Well, that was certainly a thing… I’ve defused the main threats, especially if he can’t get rid of Setsuki (Shuriken Hail will eliminate any Skeletons hanging around in his patrol, and drawing 2 cards gives me a decent chance of hitting Fox’s Den Students), but being unable to get to Tech II is worrying. Depending on how things go, I might get double Blooming Ancient to take advantage of Fox’s Den Students and Smoker, or I could go Ninjutsu to get Glorious Ninja. Either way, I’m wondering if I should get any of Geiger’s spells soon… Of course, that depends in part on whether Setsuki survives and/or I can build Tech II.

Nice turn. That was more or less exactly the play I feared most (although I somehow missed that you could kill the Horror for the loss of only 1 weak unit :frowning: ) - although I still think I’m in OK shape. Still not sure what to do now - I clearly have a lot of units on the board, and as you probably guessed from how good my last turn was, my next hand kinda sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m glad to hear I got lucky! :sweat_smile: :cold_sweat:

Swift Strike is pretty handy, isn’t it? My main concern is simply that you forced me to delay Tech II and there’s only a single Argonaut between the remainder of the horde and Setsuki, but you don’t seem to have much in the way of haste/buffs/hard removal, so I thought I’d be OK. As long as she survives with even 1 HP I get to draw 2 cards, and my next hand is looking OK as it is, so preventing that is your goal!

1 Like

You’re kidding right? Kill a 3/4 hero with swift strike? It costs me 2 units to get past the Argonaut, and then exactly what do I have that can survive getting hit for 3 to do some damage? :sweat_smile:

I think I’m going to have to let you get that sweet card draw for at least another turn or two :frowning:

EDIT: oh, she only gets SS when she attacks. I hadn’t seen that - perhaps I can do something…

1 Like

Good thing you caught that bit, since it’s the only thing that keeps her from being nearly invincible.

Glad we had that little conversation, because it turns out I could kill Sets. I was reluctant at first to sacrifice most of my units to do so, but when I realised the near-certainty of Fox’s Den Students next turn and me with a load of 1-health units, it had to be done :wink:

P2T4

TECH
Tiny Basilisk
Doom Grasp

STARTING HAND
Nullcraft
Tinkerer
Time Spiral
Temporal Research

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Temporal Research

NextHand

Unphase
Plasmodium <- card peeked at
Fading Argonaut

Discard

Time Spiral
Tiny Basilisk
Doom Grasp
Bone Collector

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
summon Vir - ($4)
peek at top card of deck [and sigh that it’s the worst possible card of my 5-card deck]
Tinkerer - ($2)
Zombie suicides to remove Argonaut’s armour and do one damage
Bone Collector trades with Argonaut, I get a new skeleton
Nullcraft, which attacks Setsuki for 1, taking no damage

• ($0)
    2 skeletons and Mox suicide into Setsuki to kill her - but Mox stays alive
    Vir gains 2 free levels as a result of all this nonsense

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Skeleton [1/1+1A]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: lv 3 Vir [2/3+1A]
  • Nullcraft [1/1, Flying, can’t be buffed or debuffed]
  • Tinkerer [1/2]
  • Hardened Mox [1/1, indestructible]

• :heart: Base HP: 16
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 4
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

There was one and only one way to kill Sets. I had 8 attack left on the board and needed 9 to do the deed with the Argonaut in the way, luckily the Nullcraft in my hand provided the final damage needed.

It feels like I’ve given up a lot to do this, so I was reluctant at first, even after seeing it was possible. I was just going to continue turtling up, taking out Argonaut and Primus but leaving a couple more skeletons alive (and not playing Nullcraft). But then I decided that Fox’s Den Students was a near-certainty, and gives him the chance to kill most of my stuff and still either Build Tech 2 or play more units. Oh, he could break my Heroes’ Hall instead, if he preferred.

So I had to kill her off - and it still looks pretty good, I have 4 units and 1 hero still alive, and he has only the Primus. By putting the Skeleton in squad leader I ensure he can only kill that, and at the cost of losing the Primus too [EDIT: no he won’t, I keep forgetting about Safe Attacking! Maybe I should plan to Assimilate it?]. The second patroller clearly isn’t needed, but it will do me no harm to give myself another card just in case I’ve missed something! [Actually, I can only see 2 potentially scary possibilities, both of which I rate VERY slim. He could summon Geiger and a unit and play Now! - or he could summon Arg and turn one of my units to a squirrel. I’d be shocked if he did either because he can only have 1 hero in play and I doubt he teched spells for another hero yet. And I’m not exactly terrified by either of them.]

As your turn is currently written, it’s illegal. I’m assuming you thought that you only had to pay 1 gold to attack Setsuki for the entire turn, but it’s more like how Resist 1 applies for every spell or ability used on something with it.

While Setsuki isn’t patrolling, opponents must pay ① each time they would attack her.

Also, you accidentally gave Vir armor in Technician, which shouldn’t be possible.

1 Like

oops - you know, I completely forgot that I had to pay to attack Setsuki at all! In that case I definitely can’t even come close to killing her :frowning:

And Vir’s armor must have been from a previous version where I put him in Squad Leader. You can ignore it - except it’s clearly irrelevant now anyway.

I’m clearly going to have to redo the entire turn substantially - but I have a question about that. I’m still going to summon Vir and peek - but if I reset I presume I might get a different card on top of my deck. Is there anyway to reset the turn and make sure I get the same top card (it feels like cheating if I redo the peeking and get something different, which will almost certainly be better).