Casual: Hobusu vs robinz

That’s right. I try to keep the board state accurate to each step as I go through my turn, but I forgot to update him a second time.

1 Like

By the way, are you entering the CAWS tournament that starts next week? I’m thinking I’d like to, but I’ve got a feeling that it’s intended for “serious players” (ie. ones who won’t lose virtually every game) and I’d just get in the way.

P2T6

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Omegacron
Xenostalker

STARTING HAND
Unphase
Tiny Basilisk
Lich’s Bargain
Hive
Tinkerer

WORKERS
Battle Suits
Forgotten Fighter
Temporal Research
Lich’s Bargain

NextHand

Bone Collector
Doom Grasp
Fading Argonaut
Nullcraft
Bone Collector

Discard

Tiny Basilisk
Unphase
Tinkerer
Omegacron
Xenostalker

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
scavenger skeleton dies - ($9)
play Hive, Mox is trashed. 5 stingers arrive. - ($3)
worker - ($2)
Midori makes a belated appearance, knowing the value of being a sacrificial victim

• ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Midori [2/3+1A]
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Zombie [2/2]
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Hive [0/6, flying, resist 1+1]

[B]In Play:[/B]

• Stinger [1/1, flying]
  • Stinger [1/1, flying]
  • Stinger [1/1, flying]
  • Stinger [1/1, flying]
  • Stinger [1/1, flying]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 12
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Future)
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 5
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 9
Thoughts

Well I’m still massive underdog - I can’t even clear any of his board with that Water Elemental in Squad Leader. And the ant-air that it’s got could spell trouble. I’ve done as much blocking as I can, but he can still kill Midori and Zombie while taking out my Tech 2/Tech 1 and/or pinging my base for a fair bit of damage.

But he’s still not at Tech 2 yet. Depending on what he has in hand (and draws from Sets), he possibly can’t completely lock in a win this turn - and in that case I hope to be able to hit back with an aerial armada. I’m deliberately not playing any heroes, apart from the unimportant (for now) Midori as a blocker - because I hope to summon them next turn and do things with them (Garth in particular, although of course I’m not allowed to resummon him this turn).

I’m probably kidding myself though - his turn 6 was nowhere hear as devastating as I’d thought it would be, so he’s probably got a load of really good cards this turn. (Actually the quickest way to get me to concede would be if he plays Geiger, Now! and Fox Primus - combined with the Elemental that could kill the Hive. If that happens it’s GG, especially if he breaks Tech 2 at the same time.)

At least Setsuki will finally die next turn (if I decide not to concede), due to my drawing Doom Grasp :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to be traveling to visit family starting Wednesday, and I’m expecting the trip to last around 2 weeks, so I probably wouldn’t have time for that. I feel the same way about possibly getting in the way, but I am starting to feel more comfortable with the game than I did during RACE. Maybe next time!

Player 1 Turn 7

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Polymorph: Squirrel

STARTING HAND

Snapback
Now!
Aged Sensei
Fox Primus
Fox’s Den Students
Stampede (Setsuki)
Fox’s Den Students (Setsuki)

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Morningstar Flagbearer
Savior Monk
Grappling Hook
Shuriken Hail
Inverse Power Ninja

Next Hand

Stampede
Polymorph: Squirrel
Sensei’s Advice
Hidden Ninja
Argonaut

Tech 1 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Shuffle and draw 2 cards from Setsuki maxband
Setsuki casts Fox’s Den Students again, causing Roku and Shichi to return with ninjas Hachi and Kyuu - ($6)
I now can play any of 3 different cards to kill you this turn!
Option 1: Pay $3 to recruit Fox Primus, who goes along with all of the other 9 Ninjas to deal exactly 12 damage to your base (this didn’t require the draws from Setsuki, but she needed to be there to cast FDS)
Option 2: Pay $6 to have Arg cast Stampede, giving all 9 of my Ninjas, the Wisp, and the Elemental +3 ATK / +3 Armor until end of turn (and overpower to base as well). They no longer need stealth to smash you into oblivion.
Option 3: Cast FDS a second time, giving me more Ninjas than I’ll ever need!

Good game! I’ll definitely be reading your thoughts on the match, since I had a bit of a hard time telling what your goal was beyond “Use Lich’s Bargain.”

1 Like

Showoff - 1 way to kill me would have been enough for most people:stuck_out_tongue: (Stampede, your option 2, was the one I feared and expected.)

I actually enjoyed playing this deck, despite getting basically utterly destroyed this game. I need to think through how I cope with your Ninja swarm in combination with Setsuki swift-strike - because I think almost anything else would have let me do what I wanted - and I definitely want to play it again. If I do decide to play in CAWS it’s almost certainly what I’d play - I found it a lot more fun that monocolor.

I definitely made some poor tech choices, if I’d teched an early Moment’s Peace that one turn without you attacking could have given me enough time to get my fliers out against the ninja swarm. But most of all I needed to find some way of killing Sets. Teching Doom Grasp earlier (I finally drew it on the last draw) is probably the best way to do that - although even Nether Drain could have prevented the repeated FDS.

The other deck I want to try is [Blood]/Feral/Present - I think it has a lot going for it. It can do early aggression with the red starter, but can keep things up as the game goes on with haste from both Drakk and Geiger, as well as big units from the Feral spec (a hasted Rampaging Elephant together with Ready or Not would be one of those “great Codex moments”). There’s also lots of options for getting units into play from your codex - Warp Gate Disciple, Feral Strike, and Calamandra’s maxband. Plus Drakk and Calamandra are I think two of the very best heroes in the game. I think it’s a build which could be very successful, but I don’t have a clearcut “plan” with it as I did with this one (basically to “turtle” with skeleton’s and LB, while going Future Tech 2 to use either the fliers or the powerful forecasted stuff, depending on how the game pans out).

I did explain my basic thoughts about the deck at my first turn. I still don’t really know what yours was about, other than Sets+FDS - but it clearly worked a lot better than mine :smiley:

When you say you’re away from Wednesday, I take it that means you won’t be playing even any casual PBF games for a couple of weeks?

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’m playing in CAWS, and I’ve lost all my play-by-forum games so far pretty thoroughly. (Ironicially, I lost the first few to ridiculous hyper-aggression, and the last one to the opposite.)

I used to run in-real-life tournaments for UFS (a pretty complicated fighting game card game), and they were always the best events for new players. We always had several spare decks, so we would offer new players a choice of what to use and answer any questions. As long as they mentioned they were new, their opponents were happy to help with rules questions. The biggest benefit is they got to see a wide variety of decks in action, and maybe see something they were really excited about.

From what I’ve read in this thread, you have more than enough experience to participate, and it’ll probably be the fastest way to learn the strengths and weaknesses of your chosen deck. (And you should play the current one, if only because I almost never get to see Future in action on these forums.) If you want some inspiration, search for @Jude’s games in RACE. He was brand new to the game but still entered and managed to pull off one very solid win.

I do think the tournaments on this forum do come off as “for hardcore only,” but that has more to do with some of the participants than the tournaments themselves. Sirlin’s forums (even more than Sirlin’s games) tend to attract play-to-win “Spikes” (in the MtG parlance), a few of which tend to resent newer players (“Get gud!” “RtFC, n00b!”), not unlike poker players (who also show up here). Those few are probably used to cursing people out on LoL or DotA or Call of Duty, and some of that transfers here. But in my experience most of the players here are respectful and don’t mind any challenger. The game itself still forces them to think hard about what choices to make, even if the opponent is inexperienced.

4 Likes

[details=Thoughts I wrote before you posted]OK, I’ve looked at them now, and as I suspected your plan was partly to get cheap units to sac for Omegacron. That game could have gone differently if I hadn’t been able to kill Garth… My thought is that using Lich’s Bargain so early, while it could have been quite a swing in your favor, is pretty risky. It actually makes it harder to build the Tech II that you need for Omegacron or Garth maxband shenanigans, so I probably would have stuck with having him pump out skeletons and used two Bone Collectors. Also, building a Tower would have helped you a lot, since it would have negated all that value I got from Safe Attacking and made it harder for me to be stealthy.

You did correctly guess that I wanted to use FDS with Might of Leaf and Claw, but we somehow both failed to notice that you had Assimilate until turn 2… :sweat_smile:[/details]

Yeah, teching correctly in multicolor is hard! I definitely had room for improvement there, too (if I’d teched Shuriken Hail earlier it might have gotten use, and Inverse Power Ninja never helped me because my units refused to die). It was definitely fun, though. I really saw Sirlin’s vision of “forcing the player to have fun” – if I’d built a similar deck in a game like Magic, I pretty much would be forced to play Might of Leaf and Claw (possibly not knowing whether you had Assimilate), and then you could have turned the tables easily. With 3 specs pre-built, I had several possible backup plans to choose from!

I’m surprised you didn’t recognize my codex, though. You commented on @mysticjuicer’s post where he asked what the third spec should be, and I used Present based on this post. As you noted, I mostly used Ninjutsu that game, but that’s because I never had much chance to go Tech II. Probably would have gone Present, but it’s hard to say…

I’m willing to keep playing with you casually, but only if you’re OK with me needing time between turns (I’d expect only one per day at most).

1 Like

@ARMed_PIrate - thanks for the encouragement. I may well enter the tournament, I’ll think it over in the last day or two before signup deadline.

I’m well aware, from reading more or less everything on this forum over the past couple of months, that most if not all players are very respectful towards their opponents. That’s not why I thought it might not be appropriate to play. It’s more that since, as you said, the game still forces players to think even when they’re miles better than their opponent, I wouldn’t want strong players to waste their time having to think through a game against me when, perhaps unknown to them, almost anything sensible they do would be good enough to win.

I did see some of Jude’s games in RACE - but here’s the thing, I remember from one of EricF’s posts announcing the tournaments that RACE is regarded as “a bit of fun”, and therefore I’d have no qualms at all about signing up for the next one, but CAFS (and presumably therefore also CAWS) is designed for “serious players”. I mean, I’d like to become a “serious player”, but that really means “good player”, and I’m certainly not one yet and in all likelihood never will be.

I may well still do it though, as apparently the next RACE isn’t till February - and I’m in all likelihood about to take a major real life step that will keep me extremely busy from mid-January. (Although I’m still going to need some kind of Codex fix despite that…)

@Hobusu - thanks for sharing your post-game thoughts. And for the game as well - I think I forgot to say well-played! Lol that I commented on that thread then didn’t recognise your codex - that’s probably because I read a lot of posts, and comment on them when I’ve got an idea of what to say, without really taking them in. Seriously, I read quite a few ideas for multicolor codexes but I don’t remember most of them, apart from ones that I see played a lot (mainly Past/Peace/Anarchy) - and now, hopefully, ones that are played against me! So no, I didn’t know what you were planning, although as you say, I took a couple of pretty accurate guesses in my first post!

I notice in your comments that you mention the possibility of comboing Blooming Ancient with Smoker. I’m curious as to how that works. If you target Smoker with BA’s ability, he bounces back to your hand before he can get a rune. So what happens to the rune? If it just stays on BA, that’s an insane combo, because you can keep playing Smoker and generate as many runes as you have gold to keep the combo going. (And imagine if you had MoLaC in there too!) But if you have to first remove the rune before doing the targeting, then you’re just removing a rune from BA to send smoker back to your hand, which is the opposite of impressive. Might be one for the Rules questions thread (unless it’s already been asked and answered - searching that huge thread is a nightmare I’m not even going to attempt). In general, exactly how targeting works in this game is not well-defined at all - it’s fine for most normal things, but in loads of edge cases like this it leaves you scratching your head.

I appear to have unintentionally posted yet another wall of text :expressionless:

1. Get 2 Blooming Ancients in play
  2. Play Smoker to gain 2 runes
  3. Move one to Smoker to send it back to hand, leaving 1 rune
  4. You’re now at step 1 but with one more rune than before

yeah, that’s pretty good - missed that you specified two BA’s. I suppose as with a lot of combos in this game, if you can manage to get that on the board without having them killed, you’ve probably won anyway, so might as well do it in style! :smiley:

1 Like

It’s not as practical with this codex, but if I was using Finesse instead of Present, maxband River would make Smoker free. That full combo is absurd, so thankfully it’s pretty hard to set up.

1 Like

Anyway, I’m certainly up for another game, and I’ve no problem at all if you need to go slow from mid-week (or even from now). I’m happy to play either this same codex again, or the one I mentioned a few posts ago - Blood/Feral/Present. (I’d like to practice both, so whichever one you pick I’ll probably ask on the PBF thread for a game with the other one.) Let me know which you’d rather I played, and what you’re going to play - or if you’d rather take a break for now.

1 Like

I’d like to try facing Blood/Feral/Present this time, partly so I can actually see if I can pull off the intended synergy in mine. While I’m thinking of it, the reason I went with Fox Primus first turn was simply because I didn’t have a 1-cost unit.

If you request a game with the other codex, I’d suggest swapping to the black starter. It seems a bit more in line with what you’re hoping to do (get lots of cheap units for Omegacron), and Wither Deteriorate/Sacrifice the Weak would have saved you so much pain that last game…

1 Like

OK, I’ll try Blood/Feral/Present this time. I’ve randomed 50/100 (I always seem to get a very middling number…).

Bear in mind that this is a deck which just sounds good in theory to me, I have literally no idea how to go about playing it :wink: (At least I’ll know what you’re trying for though.)

I mentioned in my first post that I was unsure whether to use the purple or black starter. In many ways I agree with you about the black starter, but I’m still not convinced. Yes, the 1-drops would help me get cheap units, but I also need some “big” units to defend for me in the early game, and other than Jandra (who obviously isn’t suitably unless you’re going full-on Demonology) there isn’t any of that in the black starter. Summon Skeletons would be really handy though, as might skeletal archery on occasion - which is why I have seriously considered using it.

I don’t see how StW would have helped me much in this particular game, although it’s obviously a great spell in general if you’re spamming cheap units. It would have only killed off 1 at a time of your many many stealthy ninjas. And Wither isn’t in the black starter, I assume you’re thinking of Deteriorate? But again that only works on one unit at a time. I think black would probably help the early game more, but I prefer Purple because it has not only some good mid-game value if I can get enough defence (Tinkerer and Time Spiral to allow me to play with Reavers and Double Time), but also some pretty good early game units (notably Mox, which would I think have really frustrated you were it not for your Safe Attacking).

I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong - it may well be that black is the better choice. But I’m reluctant to change after just one game, no matter how disastrous :smiley: If I end up losing badly in game after game, and to a variety of different codices, then I’ll probably switch it for a while. But it still feels to me, regarding this particular game, that I lost due to a combination of Ninjutsu being the worst possible spec for it to face, and me not being prepared for just how bad it was going to be. I’d like to at least test this theory before I write my plan off.

1 Like

I keep getting high rolls… 84 here, but I’ll probably take my first turn later.

You’re right that I meant Deteriorate. I was mainly thinking about how if you could have removed Fox Primus, I would have been unable to blow you out after the first Lich’s bargain.

Edit: You’re up, @robinz! I probably won’t be able to take more than 1 or 2 turns a day leading up to the trip, just because there’s a lot to do to prepare, but I’ll do what I can.

Player 1 Turn 1

Starting Hand and Workers

STARTING HAND

Morningstar Flagbearer
Grappling Hook
Fox Primus
Fox Viper
Savior Monk

WORKERS

Fox Viper

Next Hand

Aged Sensei
Sensei’s Advice
Safe Attacking
Snapback
Smoker

Discard

Savior Monk
Morningstar Flagbearer
Grappling Hook

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Recruit Fox Primus - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Fox Primus (2/2+a) [Frenzy 1, anti-air]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:

• :heart: Base HP: 20

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 5
Thoughts

Not sure what to expect, except that the early game will be similar to a typical red opening. I’m hoping to get a bit more use out of Geiger this game, but none of his spells seem immediately useful (Now! makes me go down a card, Temporal Distortion can bloat the deck a bit, and Ready or Not is expensive).

1 Like

Well this opening looks pretty familiar :slight_smile:

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Bombaster
Careless Musketeer
Mad Man

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer

NextHand

Bloodburn
Nautical Dog
Pillage
Scorch
Charge

Discard

Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster
Bombaster

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Bloodrage Ogre

• ($2)
    summon Calamandra - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: lv 1 Calamandra [2/3+1A]
  • Bloodrage Ogre [3/2]

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

Well I really don’t know what I’m doing with this deck yet. Ogre is obviously the only unit worth playing from this starting hand, so that’s quite nice. And he can attack for 3, so a 3 HP hero in squad leader is needed - the only choice is whether it’s to be Drakk or Calamandra (Geiger is for the midgame, not now). In Drakk’s favour is that I’m using the red starter, so spells are cheaper, and that his midband and maxband are both pretty amazing. But I think I prefer Calamandra, both because she is cheaper to level up (to both midband and maxband), but also because I think it’s her spells that I’ll be teching early - both Ferocity and Behind the Ferns could help me get quick kills when I already have units with haste. Oh, and her stats are bigger. I suspect both openings are viable - let’s see what happens with this one!

That would be because there was only one card in my starting hand that was different from last game…

Player 1 Turn 2

TECH

Argonaut
Argonaut

STARTING HAND

Sensei’s Advice
Aged Sensei
Snapback
Safe Attacking
Smoker

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice

Next Hand

Argonaut
Grappling Hook
Argonaut
Smoker
Snapback

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Build Tech I - ($2)
Recruit Aged Sensei - ($1)
Patrol as shown below

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Fox Primus (2/2+a) [Frenzy 1, anti-air]
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Aged Sensei (1/1)

• Deck: 3
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 6

[details=Thoughts]So, I got messed up pretty bad by the extra gold costs for multicolor… If I were playing mono-white, I could have killed Calamandra that turn pretty easily. Summon either Grave or Rook and cast Sensei’s Advice to make Fox Primus a 4/2+a this turn, then sit my hero of choice in squad leader with their free levels. sigh

I’m going to have to turtle a little bit, since I wasn’t able to get early pressure. Argonauts seem like they’ll do the trick there, and depending on what he does next turn I can transition into any of the heroes (though probably Setsuki or Geiger). The goal is still Might of Leaf and Claw, but I might have to go with Present Tech II and Tech Lab for Growth.[/details]

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Ferocity
Argonaut

STARTING HAND
Scorch
Nautical Dog
Charge
Pillage
Bloodburn

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Bloodburn

NextHand

Ferocity
Scorch
Bloodrage Ogre
Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
build Tech 1 - ($3)
Ogre trades with Primus
recruit the :nauticaldog:! - ($2)
Calamandra kills Aged Sensei, taking one damage. You get a coin.
Calamandra goes to midband and heals. All my units now have Resist 1. - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • lv 3 Calamandra [3/4]
  • Nautical Dog [1/1, Frenzy 1, Resist 1 from Calamandra]

• :heart: Tech 1 HP: 5

• Deck: 4
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

This seems to be going nicely so far - clear his board, and get a midband Calamandra together with everyone’s favourite starting deck unit on the board. Main decisions are what to tech and how to patrol. Argonaut seems like my best Tech 1 unit (there’s no need for anti-air yet, and I’m pretty sure readiness will be more useful than Centaur’s overpower at the moment), and I already mentioned Ferocity. A ferocious Nautical Dog could be pretty nice, and that could work with Mad Man too. This deck is all about being aggressive (but not “all-in” aggressive like mono-red), so that’s what I’m going with!

As for the patrol decision, I kept the dog out of the patrol zone in case he’s got a Shuriken hail. That seems a bigger chance to me than him having Now! plus some high-attack unit to damage my Tech 1 or Calamandra, and he can’t attack for more than 3 anyway*, so I’m relatively safe even if that is the case.

*several hours later, I remember Inverse Power Ninja. Clearing his board obviously helps him there! Still, if he’s teched both Now! and IPN, and draws them both in his turn 3 hand, I’ll have to congratulate him on both his foresight and his luck :smiley:

Player 1 Turn 3

TECH

Shuriken Hail
Now!

STARTING HAND

Grappling Hook
Argonaut
Argonaut
Smoker
Snapback

WORKERS

Fox Viper
Sensei’s Advice
Smoker

Next Hand

Argonaut
Morningstar Flagbearer
Savior Monk
Safe Attacking
Snapback

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float + scavenger - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Recruit Argonaut - ($4)
Build a Tower - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argonaut (3/4+a) |Readiness|

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

• Deck: 5
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

I’m not liking how I’m having to play defensive here… The lack of strong combat heroes is hurting here. Yeah, Setsuki can be quite powerful in combat, but only if she gets a chance to attack, and Speed of the Fox + midband is pretty expensive this early on. I’ve mostly teched these spells because they’re cheap, and they can help me all game. I’m starting to think I’ll need to go Present Tech II, but we’ll see if I can get a position where Growth is a possibility.

Sorry, I’d posted a turn but have just realised I completely messed it up due to forgetting about your Tower.

(Question: does the tower damage attacking heroes too? I assume it does, which is what makes my original turn not work - but I’m at work now and codexcarddb doesn’t give any information on addons.)

Will post again later - probably still before you’re up anyway :slight_smile:

Yep, Tower hurts heroes, as long as they attack. It’s particularly good against Vandy, as it reveals her or one of the other Metamorph’d Demon heroes before poking them.

2 Likes