CASS 2016 **Finals**: MooseKnuckles ([Growth]/Necromancy/Strength) vs. frozenstorm (Mono White)

BTW, your deck is super mean going first :wink: That ancient was about to get very scary I feel like

Yeah, Growth gets scary so fastā€¦

I was really surprised to not see anyone pick this deck for RACE2, which is why Iā€™m playing it again for CAFS.

P1T7:

[details=ā€œThoughtsā€]I donā€™t see a clear way for him to come back from this. White isnā€™t going to burst me down from 12 easily, and without DeGrey he wonā€™t be able to trade efficiently enough to set anything up. Sitting on one hero and T0/T1 units against a developed Growth board doesnā€™t go well.

Heā€™ll max Setsuki here, but itā€™s nothing to worry about really. He wonā€™t be able to keep it alive. His best play here involves double shuriken hail, which is unlikely. [/details]

Tech

Oversize Rhino x2

Starting Hand

Bone Collector Lichā€™s Bargain Merfolk Prospector Doom Grasp Nether Drain Blooming Elm(skeleton) Spore Shambler (skeleton)

Gold (9)
skeleton, sacrifice it to draw a card (8)
Lichā€™s Bargain, sacrifice the skeleton to draw a card (6)
Blooming Elm (3)
Bone Collector (1)
Worker (1)
Horror trades with doubling barbarian, you draw a card
Zombie and Garth break your tech 2
Arg kills your Aged Sensei
Discard 3, Draw 4, rs, Draw 1

Patrol:
Leader: Bird (1/1 + a)
Elite:
Scavenger: Zombie #2 (2/2)
Technician: Wisp (0/1)
Lookout:

Buildings: Tier I - 5, Tier II (Growth) - 4, Blooming Elm - 4
Units/Heroes: Level 7 Garth (3/4), Zombie #1 (2/2), Horror (3/3), Level 1 Arg (1/2), Bone Collector (3/3)
Base: 12
Other: Rich Earth

Economy:

Workers: 9 + 1 float
Hand: 5
Deck: 7
Discard: 0

Worker

Spore Shambler

New Hand

Young Treant Bone Collector Blooming Ancient Doom Grasp Nether Drain

Oof, lock me out of my answer more pleaseā€¦

Player 2, Turn 7

P1 Growth/Necro/Strength vs P2 Mono-White

[details=Starting Hand]
Birdā€™s Nest
Jefferson DeGrey, Ghostly Diplomat
Mythmaking
Versatile Style (from technician)
[/details]

##Events of Turn:

###Upkeep:

• Get Gold (10)
  • Draw 1 for Technician
  • No techs

[details=All Teched Cards]
Ardraā€™s Boulder, Mythmaking
Versatile Style, Degrey
Doubling Barbarbarian, Jefferson Degrey, Ghostly Diplomat
Earthquake x2
Rambasa Twin, Birdā€™s Nest
[/details]

###Main:

• Rebuild tech 2
  • Maxband Sets (8)
  • Grave (6)
  • Mythmaking (4)
  • Birds kill your bird safely
  • Sets swift strikes the scavenger Zombie
  • Worker Up (3)

[details=Workers]
Birdā€™s Nest, Grappling Hook, Savior Monk, Smoker, Fox Primus, Fox Viper
[/details]

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 3 Draw 5
  • Maybe tech more cards

###Board Info:
####Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 16
  • Tech 1 HP: 5
  • Tech 2 HP: 5

####In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :pspig: Scavenger:
  • :exhaust: Technician: Grave (2/3)
  • :target: Lookout:

####In Play:

• Big Bird (1/1)
  • Tweetie Bird (1/1)
  • Setsuki (3/4 lvl 6)
  • Safe Attacking
  • Mythmaking

###Economy Info:

####Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 5

####Gold:

• Gold: 3
  • Workers: 11

[details=End of Turn Hand]
Morningstar Flagbearer
Snapback
Earthquake
Senseiā€™s Advice
Ardraā€™s Boulder
[/details]

[details=End of Turn Discard]
Aged Sensei
Doubling Barbarian
Versatile Style
[/details]

[details=My Thoughts]
Iā€™m not getting good card splitsā€¦ Maybe last turn I should have just maxbanded Rook and killed the Horror with Luigi? Iā€™m definitely in trouble.
[/details]

Not to pile on, but you canā€™t summon Grave without a T2 or heroes Hall

LMAO youā€™re right of course. In that case you are laying 15 damage and my base has 16 health, I think itā€™s pretty safe to concede :slight_smile: GG WP @Mooseknuckles!

I got too focused on Doom Grasp, and would have midbanded Rook on Turn 2 if I could do it over, as at least I would have
stayed up on cardsā€¦

I did not respect Lichā€™s Bargain nearly enough, thinking having DeGrey would surely mean you wouldnā€™t go for it. Well my timings for drawing it were a little sub-optimal :confused: I definitely got greedy thinking Iā€™d be able to Earthquake you down

@EricF we have a champion, letā€™s give him a round of applause!

Good game and well played!

I think that the game was decided on my turn 4, though it was all set up on turn 3. Me drawing Bird Nest and you not getting it was a pretty big deal. Some of that is that you went down on cards early (giving you two less chances to draw your first tech on turn 3), and some of that is luck, obviously.

How would you have done your T2 if you could do it over? worker, tech 1, midband Rook, kill panda? That would give you an extra draw towards your teched cards, but it would have made your board pretty underdeveloped. Youā€™d also be at risk of me using a jumbo wisp to kill your Rook with FF+RG.

Like you said except the Sensei would go in Scavenger, any wisp buffs would get mitigated and Iā€™d only lose to doom grasp. I was afraid of you floating all that gold though and thought that it was coming. I wanted to go fast Earthquake, and my board would have been well ahead of yours :wink: I also considered Rook killing wisp, and laying Savior Monk, floating 2, but for some reason I talked myself into the flagbearer to avoid Doom Grasp or Dinosize shenanigans. I definitely didnā€™t think you were trying to bird-duel with me, and that caught me well off guard.

I also undervalued nether drainā€™s ability to take rook out effectively, and should have been more patient keeping the board stable. I figured youā€™d go for Might of Leaf and Claw despite my access to Versatile style, as you swarm units so well.

Final Standings:

1. MooseKnuckles
  2. frozenstorm
  3. Beak-Or
  4. EricF
  5. Bomber678
  6. Zejety
  7. Alhazard
  8. Marto
  9. lettucemode
  10. Bob199
  11. WillY
  12. jasonwocky
  13. Reaverb Tau
  14. GGBergen.nei
  15. CloudCuckooCountry
  16. fodazd
  17. Captain
  18. Zeem
  19. Swap Go
2 Likes

9th place baby :nauticaldog::ok_hand:

5th ainā€™t so bad for a stupid ass deck thatā€™s like a strictly worse past peace plan.