Card Highlights #4 - Versatile Style

Welcome to Card of the Week! The purpose of this series of threads is to prompt strategy discussion and answer any rules questions about specific cards. Feel free to share stories of how you’ve used the featured card in the past, speculations of how you might use it in the future, and any strong synergies or counters you may think of. And feel free to message me with any card requests for next week! Otherwise cards will be chosen randomly.

Previously on Card of the Week

Card Highlights #3 - Eyes of the Chancellor

This week’s card is Versatile Style:

Versatile Style does a lot (potentially), so let’s break the card down one effect at a time.

Destroy an upgrade.
Self-explanatory. Gives white an answer to things they would normally struggle against, like an active Might of Leaf and Claw. And thanks to the other effects below, this isn’t necessarily a “dead card” after, even if the opponent never replays their destroyed upgrade.

Disable a unit or hero with flying.
One of white’s anti-air options. It won’t deal with enemy fliers completely, but it will buy a turn to get your own threats online. Especially effective against flyers that need to be attacking to get value, such as Molting Firebird.

Repair 2 damage from a building.
This is one of only three building repair effects in the entire game, the others being neutral starter card Brick Thief and the Growth Tech II Artisan Mantis. If you’re against a very aggressive spec like Blood, this will offset a good chunk of their automatic damage.

Your Discipline hero is a detector this turn.
One of only two full-blown detector effects in the game (see last week’s post for the other!). Removes the primary draw of cards like Metamorphosis or Stalking Tiger on your turn, letting you remove or trade into them.

Being well rounded means you have answers for everything. But don’t forget, at some point you need to start asking your own questions!

2 Likes

Just a quick nitpick/clarification, but doesnt Brick Thief also count as a building repair effect? I mean, they’re still super rare either way

1 Like

Forgot about brick thief!

For a versatile card like this, I happen to use it way more rarely than I initially expected.
I can hardly imagine a game in which I’d want to use more than one of its effects, but even if you look at it in that worst possible light, it’s still as good as if Discipline had 4 seperate “answer”-cards in its Codex! In practice, it’s obviously at least a little better.

2 Likes

I need to polay more white or discipline games, as I really would like to put this card to good use. Its a pretty rare effect in codex to have a “choose one” versatile effect. It feels like it could be a good answer to early metamorphosis, especially if you can just tap Grave for the sword rune and kill the annoying demon hero you can suddenly see.

Yes, it’s pretty good against Metamorphosis. Most people won’t even bother with important upgrades against it (yay!) but Metamorphosis will probably still happen at some point.

I like this card a lot. I used it to destroy a bloodburn, then later to buy time against a pirate gunship!