CAFS 2016: Pooh_Bear (Mono Black) vs. PointyFinger (Mono Red)

But Orpal deals damage in the form of -1/-1 runes. So Mad Man didn’t take any damage per se, he was assigned two -1/-1 runes, which reduced his HP to 0, killing him.

Judge can answer, if that’s the case I need to redo my turn.

Paging @EricF, @zhavier or another judge for a ruling here.

Things that trigger when something (in this case, a unit with a -1/-1 rune) dies still trigger even if the thing they are on dies at the same time.

In this example, PointyFinger must assign a -1/-1 rune to two units he controls, which has the total effect of placing a -1/-1 rune on Doubleshot Archer, since that’s the only unit in play on his side.

My turn will remain the same @Pooh_Bear, adjusting Doubleshot Archer’s stats to reflect this ruling

P1T8

[details=Starting Hand]Sacrifice the Weak
Bone Collector
Nether Drain
Bone Collector
Graveyard
Terras Q, the Shackled (worker)[/details]

[details=Tech]Zaramonde, the Obliterator
Plague Spitter[/details]

Thoughts

I’m just trying desperately to claw my way back into this game. Kidnapping or any of his Tech II units would really hurt right now, but there isn’t much that I can do about that other than try to keep throwing bodies in front of his army. I really gotta find a way to get rid of that Drakk. If Garth survives this turn, I might try to Dark Pact into my Doom Grasp. 3 more damage to my already-weakened base just might be worth having 1 turn free from that blasted goblin.

• Collect 10 gold (10)
  • Summon Garth (8)
  • Play Sacrifice the Weak, killing the Doubleshot Archer (6)
  • Play Nether Drain, taking two levels from Zane and giving them to Garth. Zane, who now has only 2 hp, dies from the 2 damage he’s taken, giving Garth another 2 levels. (5)
  • Pay 2 gold to level Garth from 5 to 7 and his maxband, ressurrecting a Plague Spitter from my discard (3)
  • Play Bone Collector (1)
  • Worker (0)
  • Rebuild my Tech II Demonology
  • Pass the turn, discard 2, draw 4

Patrol Zone:
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Bone Collector (3/3 + A)
:psfist: Elite:
:ps_: Scavenger: Garth Torken lvl 7 (3/4)
:pspuzzle: Technician: Plague Spitter (3/3)
:target: Lookout:

In Play:

Buildings:
Base :pspurpleshield:: 10
Tech I: 5
Tech II Demonology: 5
Tower: 4

Other:
Workers: 11
Gold: 0
Hand: 5
Discard: 5
Draw: 4

[details=New Hand]Dark Pact
Voidblocker
Shadow Blade
Deteriorate[/details]

1 Like

P2T8

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Careless Musketeer
Chaos Mirror
Gunpoint Taxman

WORKERS
Pillage
Bloodrage Ogre
Bloodburn
Scorch
Bombaster

NextHand

Kidnapping
Doubleshot Archer
Bamstamper Lizzo

Discard

Makeshift Rambaster
Nautical Dog
Mad Man
Molting Firebird
Cinderblast Dragon
Cinderblast Dragon
Gunpoint Taxman
Doubleshot Archer
Chaos Mirror

Tech 0 card(s)
Collect Gold + Float - (11)
Play Careless Musketeer - (9)
Play Gunpoint Taxman - (7)
Summon Jaina - (5)
Mid band Jaina - (2)

Discard 1, draw 3

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Gunpoint Taxman (3/3+A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Careless Musketeer (3/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pspuzzle: [I]Technician[/I]: Jaina lvl 3 (3/3)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Drakk lvl 6 (3/2)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Fire)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 5

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 3
  • Disc: 9
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 10

Careless Musketeer is a 2/1, so in Elite it’s a 3/1 (not a 3/2).

Fixed, thanks!

P1T9

[details=Starting Hand]Dark Pact
Voidblocker
Shadow Blade
Deteriorate[/details]

Tech

Metamorphosis

Thoughts

To be updated soon.

• Collect 11 gold (11)
  • Summon Vandy (9)
  • Play Shadow Blade on Jaina, killing her. You discard a card at random. Vandy levels up twice. (6)
  • Play Deteriorate on your Musketeer, killing him.
  • Plague Spitter attacks your Gunpoint Taxman, applying two -1/-1 runes to the Taxman. He dies in the process.
  • Garth attacks and kills the Taxman, taking 2 damage.
  • Bone Collector attacks and kills Drakk, dying in the process Drakk deals 1 damage to my base… Vandy levels up twice to maxband, but there are no units in play for her ability to target. As part of his attack, he summons a Skeleton Token.
  • Play Dark Pact, dealing 2 damage to my base and drawing 2 cards.

[details=Cards Drawn]Banefire Golem (worker)
Doom Grasp
[/details]

• Sacrifice my Skeleton Token to Garth to draw a card
Cards Drawn

Blackhand Dozer

• Play Blackhand Dozer (2)
  • Worker (1)
  • Garth Summons a Skeleton (0)
Cards Drawn

Summon Skeletons

• Sacrifice my Skeleton Token to Garth to draw a card
  • Pass the turn, discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

Patrol Zone:
:psblueshield: Squad Leader: Blackhand Dozer (7/6 + A)
:psfist: Elite:
:ps_: Scavenger: Vandy Anadrose lvl 5 (4/5)
:pspuzzle: Technician:
:target: Lookout:

In Play:
Garth Torken lvl 7 (3/4) 2 damage, exhausted

Buildings:
Base :pspurpleshield:: 7
Tech I: 5
Tech II Demonology: 5
Tower: 4

Other:
Workers: 12
Gold: 0
Hand: 5
Discard: 0
Draw: 9

[details=New Hand]Bone Collector
Voidblocker
Bone Collector
Deteriorate
Sacrifice the Weak[/details]

I’ll concede

Good game. I thought for sure you had me for a couple turns there, especially when you killed both my tech buildings in one fell swoop. @EricF

Yeah, I went too low on cards to do it and I needed a strong hand to follow up and you were able to swing tempo back your way.

I went back and read some of your thoughts and I saw you were more afraid of Anarchy tech which I think is a bit more well rounded, especially vs larger units. None of the fire units were insane this game and I think the Anarchy tech 2 with Drakk’s buff, especially Steam Tank which I think is way nut, would have done the trick. I also summoned an early Jaina over early Zane which I think was a mistake since Chaos Mirror seems busted.

This was my second game with MonoRed and my second game against MonoBlack and I had not tried Anarchy spec yet before we started so I wanted to just be playing cards I was familiar with.

Also in my side games I have been doing more hero play which I think I lacked this game, having only really capitalized on the Drakk max band over several turns.

Learned a lot from this one, properly played a few lines in the mid game, but couldn’t close out with so few resources vs your swing back turn. Good game!

This was my first black v. red matchup, too. I think Zane would’ve been much more powerful than Jaina in this particular game. I was chump-blocking with skeletons in the Scav/Tech slots which he can take advantage of, and Chaos Mirror could’ve done seriously nasty work against some of my big demons. That said, you were using Drakk really well IMO. He was a huge problem and until my final turn, I couldn’t find a way to deal with him.

I think (generally speaking) that Fire spec seems to be stronger against Necro, where Anarchy and Blood are stronger against Demonology. Drakk and his spells shut down a lot of what I was hoping to do. I actually ended up workering two of my Tech II demons because they were going to be too risky to play into a potential kidnapping.

Not sure if it would change @PointyFinger’s decision to concede (obviously @Pooh_Bear has a lot of ways to kill Drakk and Taxman and still wreck havok) , but I do not believe Plague Spitter dealing damage to armor applies a -1/1 rune. Otherwise, Poisonblade Rogue’s armor-piercing would be rather moot :wink:

@EricF can you confirm my recollection of damage as -1/1 runes rulings?

This is true - the Armor will absorb the first point of damage, even from Plague Spitter. Approximate effect is that Garth takes 3 damage instead of PointyFinger’s base, but there might be a better sequence available, depending on what cards Pooh_Bear had access to.

I’d like to see a modified turn from @Pooh_Bear to reflect this, then I will decide on the concession.

In that case I would’ve had Garth finish off the Taxman, taking 2 damage, instead of attacking the base. No other changes to my turn.

if the -1/-1 runes are dealt as damage, then the replacement happens to the damage chits that would be applied. If armor blocks a damage chit, then there is no damage chit to replace with a -1/-1 rune. Poisonblade Rogue has armor piercing so that the runes can get applied by ignoring armor.

Pooh_bears last play of killing gunpoint taxman with plague spitter is missing a point of damage. If he has a way to get one more damage onto the taxman, then the play could proceed.

I will review, give me a few.