CAFS 2016: Drakona ([Fire]/Blood/Finesse) vs. zhavier (Mono Green)

I was surprized that Drakona didn’t play Nimble Fencer + Grounded Guide to trade with the basilisk.

Wow yea that would been great.

GG! Enjoyed the struggle!

I was convinced they would be killed too easily to make the play worth it.

You had –

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Tiny Basilisk 1/2+A
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician: Wisp #2 0/1
  • :target: Lookout:
    In Play:
  • Rich Earth
  • Wisp #1 0/1
  • Water Elemental 3/1
  • Playful Panda 2/2
  • Argagarg 1/2, lvl 5

And I had just my Rambaster and 9 gold, with a hand of

Charge, Nimble Fencer, Scorch, Flame Arrow, Grounded Guide, Bloodrage Ogre

I thought about playing the Fencer and the Guide, but every permutation I could think of to play them in, the Elemental, Panda, and Basilisk could take them out – and those are cheaper units. I thought I’d be leaving myself defenseless before you even played anything! Hence putting heroes on defense – more hp for gold.

I definitely regret giving away free hero levels with that move in retrospect, and I definitely definitely would rather not have had that mimic around. Still – I judged the play wrong? It would have been worth it even if you’d easily and obviously been able to kill the units?

Nicely played overall. I was amazed you were able to go as low on cards as you were, for as long as you were, and still be effective. I struggled to keep up even with a full hand and technician draws most turns.

You run the fencer into the basilisk yourself, and then either play BRO or a hero to stick in squad lead and accept that you might lose everything, but at least you’re clearing out the board.

The other option is hero+BRO+charge. Use rambaster on tech wisp, and hit something (arg?) With the BRO, then patrol with Fencer and hero and let them trade with basilisk and elemental.

I actually kinda regret a few moves where I kept staying low on cards, It was a very precarious position, and I ended up getting a little lucky on 2 draws, the moment’s peace turn and the last turn. You kept denying me the technician bonus and leaving my stuff alive, so I had to put them to work.

With the basilisk in SQL though, the fencer can’t kill it without help from the Guide or from charge. Playing the Fencer + Guide + BRO to get it done would literally have been all my gold and I’d have had to skip a worker. Hence my lament about everything coming together only to find it’s too expensive to be practical.

With the benefit of hindsight, Fencer + charge seems like a good idea to take it out! At the time, patrolling four things that had high enough attack to kill it and all cost two gold seemed like the safer bet. The only way I expected it to survive would be at the cost of a card for a buff, which I sort of wanted him to do. I didn’t think about Arg’s midband! Had I seen that coming I would definitely have killed the basilisk with charge myself! Call that inexperience. It was definitely part of my calculations for the rest of the game!

Arg’s midband is amazing and one of the reasons I love playing Arg. Also, Circle of Life shenanigans are a must against red, imo.

I’m seeing that!

Maybe the Fencer + BRO + Guide move would have been a commanding evough move to skip a worker. Between Arg’s midband and Rampant Growth or whatever, it seems dodgy… but if I’d lucked out on the buff situation, keeping the Guide alive would have been a big win! Maybe enough to justify the worker after all?

I will definitely say that one of the things I don’t seem to be able to learn running practice games against myself is how scary various possibilities are. I know how scary X or Y is when I run it, but when it’s run by someone with some experience, it’s completely different! Gotta keep playing smart players to properly train my threat assessment.

Thanks again you guys!

Ooooh. I just read this again and understood what you were saying. That is super clever and I wish I’d seen it.

EricF smashes me every time we play, and I also think that play is clever. Arg would have been the best choice so that whatever hero cast charge also leveled, though that would only matter for river, and you probably wanted her to be summonable for a timely discord.

I continue to be amazed at how I can spend hours thinking about a situation, and still not see what some of the smart players around here seem to see effortlessly. :slight_smile:

The game overall is complicated, but these individual situations only have about a dozen moving parts. It doesn’t seem like they should be complicated enough for that! Remarkable.

Also, rad. This game is rad. Have I mentioned that? I am becoming further convinced.

1 Like