Arena Cards

That name is a million times better
I think 50 hp makes it happen sooner and keeps you on your toes earlier. I think dumping them all at just before death is too dense.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, too. I did change it on my personal list to only count the first time you reach each life total, since otherwise Gloria could get infinite Jokers.

OK, the poll is still close but leaning more toward putting the map cards in the first post now. In preparation for that, I’ve PMed everyone whose Arena Cards are on my list. Now I’m waiting for them to respond so I can confirm that they’re OK with any changes I’ve made, among other things. Once I’ve heard back from everyone, I’ll update the first post with the list.

1 Like

Morning star pass.
Everytime you win combat, discard a card.

It’s ironic that you’re using that name, since I had made one with the same name recently. It wasn’t very good, though, so I scrapped it.

What might have been...

Morningstar Pass
If you perform a combo that uses more than 3 combo points, discard a card.

(I scrapped this because it doesn’t affect a large number of matchups at all, and it wasn’t all that interesting.)

Yours is better in that it’s a lot simpler, but I’m not sure it does enough to be different from my take on Hard Times Mill. My Hard Times Mill punishes both players equally every turn, whereas your Morningstar Pass only punishes the player who wins combat each turn… But they punish the players they affect in the same way, by the same amount. To be clear, I like the idea! I just think that it’s not quite unique enough yet.

Since the poll has a greater than two-thirds majority at this point, I’m going to close it and update the first post with cleaned-up versions of many of the Arena cards suggested here. I will not, however, post any there until their inventors reply to the PM I’ve sent them. Once the first post is updated, if an Arena card you have suggested prior to this post isn’t there and I haven’t PMed you about it, please let me know by PM if you want it added.

Edit: The first post is now updated!

1 Like

Low Gravity Training.
Pump cards have no limit to the number of times they can be pumped, but become Enders.

Time Fluctuations.
During the combat reveal, you can discard an A to use the card on top of your discard pile instead of the card you played

Mirror Matchup
At the end of the turn, swap hands with your opponent

2 Likes

->be :onimaru:
->block up to 8-10 card hand
->land a single 10 attack
->pump for opponent’s entire life bar
->profit

4 Likes

{Insert name here}
If you reveal the same type of move (Block, Dodge, Attack or Throw) as you did last turn, discard a card.

2 Likes

Dang it… this kind of arena would throw a wrench in my favorite Yomi strategy: play the same option over and over until it works. (I’m not even being sarcastic :laughing:)

2 Likes

@Zqxx already noted the problem with Low Gravity Training, but in general it seems like it’s hard to alter combo points and pump amounts without breaking things catastrophically. I hope someone can come up with a working Arena that alters those, though!

Time Fluctuations seems like a really cool idea! The name leaves something to be desired, though. Ideally, it should be a name that would make sense as a physical place – something where someone in-universe can say “Yeah, I’ve been there.” While it makes sense, “Time Fluctuations” isn’t a place… Maybe this could be named after the Fantasy Strike stage “Clock Tower”? Also, what happens to the combat card you chose not to use?

…I’ve re-read Mirror Matchup a few times now, and I still don’t understand how it works. Can you lay out how it would work in real play?

{Insert name here} is fantastic, because doing the same thing three times in a row is crazy, so no one would ever do it… Right? The potential for someone to defy all expectations and not only do the obviously wrong thing but also win because of it will result in lots of great stories, I’m sure. Plus if they mistime when to take the penalty, they’ll get punished hard enough to make those awesome moments suitably rare. Might I suggest the name be “Flagstone Asylum”? When I read it my first thought was Einstein’s quote about insanity, and so I jumped from there to an insane asylum. The flavor text would reference that without directly quoting it.

Added another Arena card to the first post: Lost Temple by @Zejety! Check it out for a blast from the past.

1 Like

I don’t know many places in lore, I was just putting a name in place that had the thematic feel for what I thought was happening, I’m happy for any of my suggestiong’s names to change.

It goes to discard, you just swap the card you played with the card on top of your discard.

At the end of each turn, after the cleanup stage, you hand your cards to your opponent and your take theirs. A better name might refer to Doppelgangers. You can play the cards in your hand like normal, they have the speed etc printed on them (even if they are not from your original deck, e.g. Troq could play Death strike dragon if the hand his Menelker opponent gave him had 4As). It might be better to swap hands after the combat stage, so that powering up is useful (rather then just giving your opponent fuel on their next turn). I can go into more detail if that still doesn’t make sense.
Another way of achieving a similar idea is that at the beginning of the game, you shuffle both your and your opponents decks together, and then play with a common deck.

Go for it :smiley:

I take it you haven’t been able to try the Fantasy Strike fighting game? It’s not exactly secret lore; one of the stages you can battle in is named Clock Tower, so I thought it would be a fitting name.

That’s what I expected. Thanks for the confirmation!

Alright, with that encouragement, here’s the updated versions of those cards:

[details=Click here]> Clock Tower by @Shadow_Night_Black
During the combat reveal, you may discard an Ace to swap your combat card with the top card of your discard pile. (The player with the higher remaining life decides whether to swap first. Decide randomly if there is a tie.)

Geiger’s experiments with time have created pockets of temporal distortion throughout his workshop.

Flagstone Asylum by @Shadow_Night_Black
If you reveal the same combat option (Attack, Throw, Block or Dodge) as you did last turn, discard a card.

It is said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

—[/details]

If you have no objections to these updates, I can add them to the first post.

[quote=“Shadow_Night_Black, post:71, topic:2753”]
At the end of each turn, after the cleanup stage, you hand your cards to your opponent and your take theirs. A better name might refer to Doppelgangers. You can play the cards in your hand like normal, they have the speed etc printed on them (even if they are not from your original deck, e.g. Troq could play Death strike dragon if the hand his Menelker opponent gave him had 4As). It might be better to swap hands after the combat stage, so that powering up is useful (rather then just giving your opponent fuel on their next turn). I can go into more detail if that still doesn’t make sense.[/quote]

This feels like it would mostly just end up being confusing rather than fun. Also, unless both discards are within reach of each player, they’re going to get mixed together… I wouldn’t be looking forward to dealing with that cleanup. It’s an interesting idea, but I don’t feel comfortable putting it in the collection. I’d be interested in hearing how it works out if you try playing it with a friend, though!

I’ve been discussing Hard Times Mill with @Shax via PM, and we’re thinking of going with something different than my idea at this point. With that in mind, this can be back on the table if you want it to be!

Edit: Added two cards created by @ThreeHeadedMonkey! Train to become a ninja at the Fox’s Den School, or take a relaxing bath at the Hot Springs Spa.

I have no objections.

I don’t actually own yomi (I’ve just watched too many hours of it on youtube), so I can’t try it myself, I’m just thinking of all the different individual mechanics and trying to think of how they can be different, such as:

The Floor is Lava:
At the start of every turn, if you are knocked down, take 5 damage.

1 Like

Ohh I like that. Simple yet it changes valuation in a clear and interesting way.

1 Like

Two Arenas by @Shadow_Night_Black have been added! Manipulate the flow of time in the Clock Tower, or have your insanity mental health issues beaten out of you treated at the Flagstone Asylum Correctional Facility.

[quote=“Shadow_Night_Black, post:74, topic:2753”]
I don’t actually own yomi (I’ve just watched too many hours of it on youtube), so I can’t try it myself, I’m just thinking of all the different individual mechanics and trying to think of how they can be different…[/quote]

You’re doing good for someone who hasn’t played! I would encourage you to either get the Steam/iOS version (especially since you can participate in all the fun tournaments that way) or get a couple of physical decks (I’d recommend either the Round 1 set or Rook and Valerie for new players). Still, in some ways having no experience with the game makes you better at inventing Arena cards than anyone else. :wink:

This is great! It’s simple, yet it changes how you play in a meaningful way. I do have the same objection to the name as before, since “The Floor is Lava” isn’t a place name. Even if it is both descriptive and funny… That would make good flavor text, though!

Does anyone know if the Fantasy Strike lore has ever mentioned a volcano? If there is one, that would be perfect. If not, we may have to improvise.

Well we know there exists a couple fire dragons. Not unreasonable for there to be lava near their nest.
Fire Dragon’s Nest.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense! How about we make it even more specific and call out the Cinderblast Dragon from Codex?

Cinderblast Dragon Nest by @Shadow_Night_Black
At the start of each turn, take 5 damage if you are knocked down.

The floor is lava!

Does this look good?

1 Like

There’s precedent for an arena card that isn’t the name of a place. I love the name “THE FLOOR IS LAVA” personally.

We could always use “THE FLOOR IS LAVA” as a flavor text if it does not fit as an arena.