Analyzing Replays?

@Castanietzsche just mentioned having saved a bunch of replays from 2016, and it made me wonder (as a newbie) how do you analyze your replays? What are the things you’re looking for? Do you use the ingame replay? A YouTube recording (ala @mysticjuicer)? Both?

4 Likes

I usually like using the in game reply. The first thing I usually do is watch the reply again and ask my self why I played a certain card at that moment. Would I do it again and why? Was there a better card I could play based on the information given. Also it alot easier to make a decision when there no timer Haha. I also like the game client because it allows u to see your opponent cards during the match as well.
Of course being able to re watch a match of yours with commentary is always a delight. Even better when it your opponent because you will know exactly what they were thinking when they make certain moves in the game.

4 Likes

Hi vengefulpickle !
I usually use the in-game replay recorder and most of the time my own replays :slight_smile:

This helped me a lot with Quince, who -you know- has an alternate gameplan against some characters.
Instead of playing a moderate ammount of blodges (as he usually does against Val and Geiger), he can play -a lot- of them to deplete his opponent’s hand from throws, and then K gets 100% winrate. You can’t play it every game thought, you need to get an appropriate hand to exploit it.
Watching replays with a view on opponent’s hand helped me to know when I could do that (on which character, with which handsize, etc.). And that’s -far- more often than I used to consider !

I also compare what I would have played and what my opponent actually played. There is an huge gap between what people think about Quince (tons of dodges, infinite vortex loop, terrifying Patriot Mirror) and what Quince actually is capable of (doesn’t dodge that much because problems of handsize, has sometimes to lie because he needs to keep his face card to continue to manipulate his opponent, Patriot Mirror costs tons of cards…). And playing around this bias is really effective !

Looking at my opponent’s hand helps me to narrow the bias I have on their character (althought I’m still scaried about Geiger lol), especially guessing their hand problem. In rock paper scissors, one could play “Rock” 15 times in a row, but in Yomi you can’t “Attack” every turn with decent follow up (except rushdown characters, but they can’t throw every turn in compensation).

I also watch some youtube replays, but that makes me learn much more about players than about Yomi (mysticjuicer loves to block, snoc focuses much more on building his gameplan than on disrupting opponent’s one, etc.). IMO chatting with other people about strategy (after a match, on the forum…) is much more effective.

My personnal advice to progress on Yomi : don’t play against yomibot, play sometimes on quickmatch and participate to as much tournaments as you can !

4 Likes

I dont tend to spend much time looking at replays within the client, but @mysticjuicer’s videos have long been my main tool for building matchup and character knowledge. His commentary has really helped me appreciate both the fundamentals of the game and the mind games that people play. I definitely wouldn’t be able to play as well as I do without him.

Also, we need a juicer emoji for me to spam right now

5 Likes

On a side note as much as I love analyzing as the next guy. Playing a match over and over with someone is still a fine way of learning.

5 Likes

I found what might be a cool tool for sharing/discussing analysis.

VideoAnt

You can see it in action here, where I annotated the first 10 turns or so of @mysticjuicer and @CKR’s IYL 5 match.

I’m probably going to try doing more annotation of my own games, once I record them (perhaps just starting with playing the hard CPU), as well, and would be happy to share them (and to hear other peoples comments on the analysis).

6 Likes