CAWS 2016: Eijolend (Mono Green) vs. ARMed-Pirate ([Blood]/Demon/Strength)

@ARMed_PIrate I don’t think we have played before? GL HF!

P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Verdant Tree
Ironbark Treant
Rampant Growth
Playful Panda
Forest’s Favor

WORKERS
Verdant Tree

NextHand

Tiger Cub
Rich Earth
Young Treant
Spore Shambler
Merfolk Prospector

Discard

Forest’s Favor
Playful Panda
Rampant Growth

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Ironbark Treant - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Ironbark Treant (1+1/2+AA)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]

[B]Buildings:[/B]

• :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5

[details=Thoughts]Okay, another aggressive deck, so the board presence early on will likely come in handy. Almost sure I will open with Argagarg against this deck combination to stay safe early on.

I guess token plans are out of the question with DeGrey and big unit plans are hampered by Kidnapping. So maybe MoLaC again? Possibly Flying and Basilisks against a Metamorphosis focussed plan?[/details]

We have not. Good to meet you!
Ghost leaves; heaven full!

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Careless Musketeer
Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodburn
Bloodrage Ogre

WORKERS

Bloodburn

NextHand

Charge
Pillage
Bombaster
Scorch
Nautical Dog

Discard

Careless Musketeer
Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Build Tech I - ($2)
Recruit BRO - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]:

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5

• Disc: 3
  • Workers: 6

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]
So, finally no Zane, and no game-warping Vandy opening. This is probably as close to an ideal match-up for me as I can hope for. Green doesn’t have any direct removal to stop TQ. The closest they have is Moment’s Peace (which I’m not worried about) and Polymorph: Squirrel (which I am). This means that mid- to late-game, I cannot suffer an Arg to live.

I’m going TQ+DG, hopefully with some Bloodlust. That means I need to leverage my econ advantage as much as possible, and float goal whenever I can. My instinct in this position is to slap down Rook in SQL. That said, with Ironbark on the field, he could Rampant Growth the Treant to take Rook out, and I’m not sure MM as a patroller would cut it (as I’d like to make him pay to attack with that thing). So I’m slapping down BRO. If I don’t have a good line of attack with it, I may just let it bounce back to my hand next turn, but this is unlikely. This also guarantees that I can choose my hero next turn. Rook will be just as good a defender then as now. Moreover, if he floats gold, I might consider Drakk + Bombaster + Pillage and still worker. It’s unlikely, but if it happens, it’s an opportunity I don’t want to miss. If it doesn’t happen, I can still Rook+NDog.

My standard tech line here is Birds+Boulder, Bloodlust+Mythmaking, Terras Q+DeGrey (then more Bloodlust+TQ/DG). However, I’ve had some trouble bloodlusting my TQ when he comes in, due to money problems. So I think I’m going to replace Birds with Rickety Mine, if I think I’ll be able to defend it. And hopefully he’ll tech in Huntress to deal with birds that never come.
[/spoiler]

[/details]

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Centaur
Galina Glimmer

STARTING HAND
Tiger Cub
Young Treant
Spore Shambler
Rich Earth
Merfolk Prospector

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth

NextHand

Young Treant
Forest’s Favor
Spore Shambler
Centaur
Playful Panda

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Merfolk Prospector - ($3)
Argagarg (with Wisp) - ($1)
Tech I - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Ironbark Treant (1+1/2+AA)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
  • Argagarg Lvl.1 (1/3)

• Deck: 3
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 6

[details=Thoughts]The turn itself is very straightforward. While I am afraid of Bloodrage Ogre, I don’t think trading it for the Ironbark Treant is a good idea at this point and he can only clear my Ironbark Treant with an additional card or midband Drakk, both of which are good trades. I’m nearly tempted to not patrol the Wisp to exploit the Ogre’s mandatory attack, but I don’t feel safe doing that.
More interesting is the question what to tech as he has yet to show me his choice of hero (not sure why he built Tech I instead of hero this turn). Centaur + Dinosize feels too committed seeing how I know nothing about his plan yet and Red usually doesn’t leave a lot on the board. I think Centaur is still the way to go for board control even though he is very kidnappable. Galina Glimmer for a bit of economy can’t hurt either and will help finance a tower if he goes all out on the aggression.[/details]

P2T2

TECH

Rickety Mine
Ardra’s Boulder

STARTING HAND
Charge
Scorch
Pillage
Nautical Dog
Bombaster

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch

NextHand

Pillage
Rickety Mine
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer
Charge

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Summon Rook - ($3)
Recruit Nautical Dog - ($2)
BRO attacks Treant, dealing 1 damage after armor, and dying

Float ($2)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1+a, Frenzy 1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Garus Rook, Lv. 1 (2/4)

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 7

I could have Charged the Ogre with Drakk to trade the Treant, leaving Drakk as an effective patroller in Scavenger. But that would have only floated 1 gold.

So I stuck with the plan, which forces him to plan around birds (that won’t arrive, but he has 2 turns before he’ll figure that out), and floats $2. I’m shooting to have $11 to $13 by the time TQ comes into play. I’ll have to get lucky, but I want to be prepared to go nuts.

This is maybe not the best use of BRO, but my hand wasn’t cheap enough to go down and have BRO bring it back up. This way he will mostly likely have to trade Treant or Merfolk to take out NDog, unless he spends money pumping them. If he wants to spend money and/or cards on a pump, great. If he wants to lose the econ of merfolk, great. Ogre did its job, which is making that Treant more expensive. He could even midband Arg, use the boost to take out Dog with merfolk, then use another boost to trade Treant for Rook. I’m fine with that. I need money more than Rook. Rook’s a chump.
[/spoiler]

[/details]

P1T3

TECH
Dinosize
Tiny Basilisk

STARTING HAND
Centaur
Playful Panda
Forest’s Favor
Young Treant
Spore Shambler

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler

NextHand

Tiger Cub
Playful Panda
Ironbark Treant
Galina Glimmer
Rampant Growth

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Argagarg 1->3 - ($3)
Argagarg casts Forest’s Favor on Merfolk Prospector. - ($1)
Merfolk prospector kills Nautical Dog taking 1 damage.
Argagarg’s midband on Ironbark Treant.
Ironbark Treant trades with Rook. (Argagarg 3->5, Water Elemental) You get 1 gold.

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Water Elemental (3/3+A)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Merfolk Prospector (2/1) + x
  • Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5)

• Deck: 5
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 7

[details=Thoughts]I’m puzzled about the Bloodrage Ogre attacking the Treant instead of just taking the free wisp kill. That seems like a really good trade for me I guess the plan is to make it inefficient for me to trade with Nautical Dog, but the way I see it, it’s still 2 cards for 1. However, this particular configuartion leaves me with a puzzle if I want to kill Rook this turn as just midbanding Argagarg is barely not enough and without Rampant Growth there is no way to do it that keeps the Treant alive. I’m not sure what the 2 floating gold of his are for, but might be a Tech I threat or just a rush to Tech II maybe?
I see two possible lines of play:
A) Midband Arg, use Forest’s Favor to kill Rook (multiple variants) and get a free Water Elemental. This way I can’t play the Centaur though.
B) Midband Arg, kill the Dog with the Treant, Merfolk Prospector for 1 gold and put out the Centaur.

I think both are reasonable, but I can do A) to weaken him more and disrupting possible Birds without falling too far behind on board thanks to Water Elemental.

Concerning Tech I’m positive I can keep Argagarg alive for a bit longer so I’ll get a Dinosize and a Tiny Basilisk.

Spec choice is still open, but looking at Tech II Balance again, the untargetable on the Potent Basilisk could come in handy against Kidnapping and it is effective against Rook+Birds as well. MoLaC might be overall stronger… maybe…

Plan for next turn: Galina Glimmer and Tech II, maybe Rampant Growth something, if there is something important on the board.
[/details]

So, what I want to do is: Summon and max Drakk, recruit Musketeer with haste, have it exhaust to kill wisp for Scav. bonus, then pillage his float and the scav bonus, and play the mine. But that leaves no worker, which is unacceptable.

I could do the same thing, but with BRO instead of Musketeer, trade with the elemental (thus negating using up all of Arg’s major tricks, and leaving Drakk as a solid patroller, threatening excitement next turn. That would mean no mine, but I could worker. This is better, because elemental is a threat, and wisp is not.

I am leaning towards Drakk, pillage the float, BRO, mine, worker, float $3. It puts me down on cards, but I don’t mind that much. I’m teching Bloodlust and Mythmaking, so I’ll have a whole turn to get Tech II and Tech Lab up. It’s too bad I didn’t draw into MM this turn. I would have liked to spend less on my patrollers. Alternatively, I could put out Vandy instead of Drakk, and have an expensive Pillage, which might be worth it to hurt his $ and to guarantee I can pull Drakk him later when I need him?

If I build Tech II and Tech Lab this turn, I give him a heads-up on what’s coming, but I could tech in DeGrey earlier, as he deals nicely with wisp and elemental. Moreover, I would be able to bring out 2 heroes next turn, helping me with cards and letting one hero protect Drakk. It would cost 5 for the Tech II and 1 for the Tech Lab (less essential this turn, maybe?). That leaves me with 4 for some combination of Drakk+Pillage, BRO, Mine. If I put off the Tech Lab, I could even float 1. If I do Drakk and Mine, he’ll die, and the mine might, too. If I do Drakk and BRO, it might be harder to keep my Tech guarded and still have the money the following turn. Enh. He doesn’t have Tech II. Why do I need it?

I’m clearly workering Musketeer, because if I don’t draw into Bloodlust with TQ+DG, Charge is just as good. The real risk is drawing DG first without TQ.

I’m going way down on cards, but it should be okay as long as he kills Drakk. If he doesn’t, I’ll punish him for it with at least 3 attack, plus some haste stuff next turn. If he kills Drakk, I’ll be able to summon him the turn TQ comes out. If he leaves Drakk alive, Boulder will probably protect him for another turn, barring a bad draw. Moreover, he’s got 7 workers, and no rich earth, and he skipped his mer-money this past turn to kill Rook, so stealing his float will really hurt him, probably more than the card will hurt me. We’re in a base race to Tech II, and because I skipped it this turn he’ll get there first, but when I get there I’ll hit a lot harder.

I’m not quite sure putting Drakk in Technician instead of BRO is the right play. BRO is actually the bigger threat. But he doesn’t know what my other Tech I is, so he has to be scared of a hasted, frenzied Twighlight Baron, Gargoyle, or Crash Bomber. Next turn I should have $14 including the mine, so this should be interesting. If necessary, I could bring in Vandy and fetch a Dark Pact to move things along at the right time. #overconfidence
If he has a buff for his wisp, he’ll take out my mine for harshness.

And the draw is… whew boulder in hand.
[/spoiler][/details]

P2T3

TECH

Bloodlust
Mythmaking

STARTING HAND
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer
Pillage
Charge
Rickety Mine

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer

NextHand

Ardra’s Boulder
Makeshift Rambaster
Bombaster

Discard

Nautical Dog
Pillage
Charge
Bloodlust
Mythmaking

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Scavenger bonus - ($10)
Worker - ($9)
Summon Drakk - ($7)
Recruit BRO - ($5)
Build Rickety Mine - ($3)
Drakk casts Pillage, - ($2)
stealing your float and doing 1 to your base - ($3)

Float ($3)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]: Drakk Ramhorn, Lv. 1 (1/3)
  • :heart: Rickety Mine HP: 3

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 5
  • Gold: 3
  • Workers: 8
1 Like

P1T4

TECH
Might of Leaf and Claw
Blooming Ancient

STARTING HAND
Tiger Cub
Rampant Growth
Galina Glimmer
Playful Panda
Ironbark Treant

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Ironbark Treant

NextHand

Young Treant
Centaur
Dinosize
Tiny Basilisk

Discard

Merfolk Prospector
Rampant Growth
Playful Panda
Tiger Cub
Might of Leaf and Claw
Blooming Ancient

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - Pillage - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Merfolk Prospector trades with Bloodrage Ogre, you get 1 gold.
Argagarg plays Rampant Growth on Argagarg. - ($4)
Argagarg kills Drakk taking no damage after armor. You draw a card.
Water Elemental destroys Rickety Mine (it is not only volatile, but apparently also has some magic crystals that attract Elementals)
Galina Glimmer - ($3)

Float ($3)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Galina Glimmer (2/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5)
  • Water Elemental (3/3)
  • :heart: Base HP: 19

• Hand: 4
  • Disc: 6

[details=Thoughts]Rickety mine!!! While Pillage seems very expensive card-wise it leaves me again in a position where I cannot do everything I want, namely kill all of his board AND play Galina Glimmer while building Tech II. I could, of course, delay Tech II for one more turn, seeing how I have good plays next turn even without summoning Calamandra.

I feel like a should kill Rickety Mine though, I think I’m ahead in this game so far and don’t want to lose it to a lucky Rickety Mine.
Trading Merfolk Prospector into Bloodrage Ogre, should be good because (counting Nautical Dog) I traded 2 cards and 3 gold for 2 cards and 4 gold (one of which he gets back by Scavenger). Killing Drakk with Rampant Growth on Argagarg costs me a card, but breaks even on gold (and gives him a card). While killing Rickety Mine doesn’t cost me anything and costs him 2 gold and a card and prevents at least 3 gold from it.
So all in all he gets a card (which offsets the Pillage) but the gold swings slightly in my favor. Developing Galina Glimmer should allow me to retain even more board control at the same time, so I think delaying Tech II should be okay.

I want to tech the following 4 cards before reshuffle:
MoLaC, MoLaC, Blooming Ancient, Murkwood Allies/Ferocity (depending on whether he chooses Strength or something else and not sure if the second MoLaC is needed)

Tentative Plan for next turn: Tech II, Young Treant and one of Centaur/Dinosize/Tiny Basilisk… Should work out money-wise too… not sure what I should worker next turn though.[/details]

1 Like

Booo! Mean of him to kill a mine. Who does that? It’s like he wants to win or something. On the good side, he spent a lot of cards on that. On the bad side, he has GG out and floating 3 and I don’t have pillage this time. On the good side again, I have some gold. On the bad side, it’s at least 2 less than I need to put Vandy on the field as well.

I have to leave $4 floating to potentiall play Drakk and Bloodlust next turn. Since the boulder’s clearly going to die, I should put it in Technician. I just have to pray he doesn’t have Dinosize or Stampede, otherwise my Tech is gone. I’m certainly not going to help his draws or money myself. I have to pray he was planning on Arg being dead by now, and is frustrated that he keeps drawing into Cal stuff.

Workering Rambaster because 1-drops seem more playable than 2-drops at this point, and I might need a better patroller later. I may live to regret this. Or I may not live that long.

I’m making Strength my primary spec because DeGrey seems more critical than TQ at this point, even though it’s hurt me in previous games.

And on the draw… I didn’t get super-duper-lucky, but I got pretty damn lucky. If he kills my boulder and I draw into TQ, this is probably game. If I don’t, I can still play Drakk, DeGrey, Mythmaking, and Bloodlust for 9. If (for some weird reason) he doesn’t kill my boulder, the Mythmaking will make that much of a difference. (I may even attack with boulder?)

It all depends on what he does and (really) if he can take out my Tech II this turn.
[/spoiler][/details]

P2T4

TECH

Terras Q, the Shackled
Jefferson DeGrey, Ghostly Diplomat

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster
Ardra’s Boulder
Mad Man

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster

NextHand

Bloodlust
Mythmaking
Pillage

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Scavenger bonus - ($12)
Draw from technician
Worker - ($11)
Recruit Ardra’s Boulder - ($9)
Build Tech II (Strength) - ($5)
Build Tech Lab (Demonology) - ($4)

Float ($4)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]: Ardra’s Boulder (0/6)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Strength)
  • :heart: Tech Lab HP: 4 (Demonology)

• Deck: 7
  • Gold: 4
  • Workers: 9

P1T5

TECH
Moment’s Peace
Moment’s Peace

STARTING HAND
Young Treant
Centaur
Tiny Basilisk
Dinosize

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Ironbark Treant

NextHand

Moment’s Peace
Tiger Cub
Forest’s Favor
Playful Panda

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
2 green units => 1 gold from Galina Glimmer - ($12)
Argagarg casts Dinosize on Wisp. - ($8)
Wisp kills Ardra’s Boulder. You draw a card.
Water Elemental and Galina Glimmer destroy your Tech II building. Your base takes 2 damage.
Centaur - ($5)
Tech II (Growth) - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Centaur (3/4+A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5)
  • Water Elemental (3/3)
  • Galina Glimmer (2/2)
  • Wisp (0/1)
  • :heart: Base HP: 19
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

• Deck: 8

[details=Thoughts]Okay, that strongly telegraphs Terras Q & DeGrey. I can kill his Tech Lab or his Tech II this turn if I use Dinosize to get rid of the Boulder, but trading 4 gold and a card for 2 gold and a card and let him draw a card seems like a bad deal.
Let me see if I have to do this… He has 13 gold next turn, Terras Q + DeGrey + Drakk + Charge/Bloodlust costs exactly 13…
I think I might be in more trouble than I realized before^^

Other points of worry: Doubling Barbarians with haste are scary, DeGrey will kill Water Elemental and Wisp for free.

Tech Choices: Ok, I think this is the point where I should listen to my advice from the game against FrozenStorm and tech in Moment’s Peace. I’m also tempted to tech in Polymorph: Squirrel but that is expensive with the Resist of Terras Q. So the question is second Moment’s Peace, second MoLaC or Polymorph: Squirrel als the second card…

Okay, I think I’ll just play for time here and try to aggressivele hinder his gameplan and stall until MoLaC no matter what, which would suggest 2x Moment’s Peace and destroying Tech II. Unfortunately, if I don’t want to fall behind on cards that means not workering this turn as the Centaur is a must to not fall behind against DeGrey alone and I NEED to draw Moment’s Peace.
Scary Thought as well: He can just Tech III and go for Zarramonde to kill any MoLaC plan… Why does this game feel lost again even though I made only good trades for the first 3 turns?
[/details]

Edit: Forgot to note that pillage hits your base.
Edit: Forgot to pay for Mythmaking. Fixed in my sheet as well.

HAH!
I got the god draw off of technician and drew the TQ, DG, Bloodlust combo, with enough money to play it all! And my Tech II is broken! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Man I love irony. Hubris: it’s not just the source of many tragedies; it’s a way of life. (:

I thought about maxxing Rook here as a stopgap, and that might have been the best play, but I also felt I needed to take attackers off his board, so killing Glimmer and the wisp it is. I want to put Drakk in Technician, because I’m so down on cards, but I think the extra armor might be important.

He probably has me. Any more Dinosize or Stampede and it’ll be hard for me to come back. More likely, he’s going to bring out Cal with a lot of fun stuff. At least I’m taking his gold again!

Teching a TQ to replace the one I’m workering this turn. Teching a Zarramonde because what the hell? I’m at 10 workers. Maybe Tech III is feasible if he doesn’t keep breaking my Tech II?
[/spoiler][/details]

P2T5

TECH

Terras Q, the Shackled
Zarramonde, the Obliterator

STARTING HAND
Pillage
Mythmaking
Bloodlust
Terras Q, the Shackled

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster
Terras Q, the Shackled

NextHand

Charge
Mad Man
Bombaster

Discard

Ardra’s Boulder
Pillage
Bloodlust
Terras Q, the Shackled

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($13)
Draw from Technician
Rebuild Tech II
Worker - ($12)
Max Drakk - ($5)
Drakk casts Pillage, - ($4)
stealing your float and doing 1 damage to your base - ($5)
Upgrade to Mythmaking; your Glimmer is a 1/1 - ($3)
Drakk casts Bloodlust on Glimmer and Wisp; at end of turn they die - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Drakk Ramhorn (3/4+a)
  • Mythmaking
  • :heart: Base HP: 18

• Deck: 3
  • Workers: 10

@ARMed_Pirate: you appear to have forgotten to pay 2 for your Mythmaking

1 Like

So I did! Thanks @robinz!
@Eijolend, my turn is actually ready now (I think), at your convenience (no rush).

P1T6

TECH
Nature Reclaims
Polymorph: Squirrel

STARTING HAND
Forest’s Favor
Tiger Cub
Playful Panda
Moment’s Peace

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Ironbark Treant
Playful Panda

NextHand

Merfolk Prospector
Blooming Ancient
Moment’s Peace
Tiny Basilisk

Discard

Galina Glimmer
Forest’s Favor
Tiger Cub
Moment’s Peace
Nature Reclaims

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - Pillage - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Calamandra - ($5)
Argagarg casts Forest’s Favor on Centaur. - ($3)
Use Argagarg’s Midband on Centaur.
Centaur kills Drakk taking 3(-1armor) damage. (Calamandra 1->3)

Float ($3)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Calamandra Lvl.3 (3/4+A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Water Elemental (3/3) [Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • Centaur (4/3) + xx [Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5)

• Workers: 9

[details=Thoughts]Okay, I’m feeling slightly more confident after seeing how this turned out. I will have to get rid of Drakk, which I can use to give a hero free levels. I don’t think I need to play Moment’s Peace right now as he has not enough money for a deadly combo and my biggest worry right now is a +2/+2 DeGrey. I’m obviously buffing Centaur and not Water Elemental as the Elemental will evaporate the moment DeGrey comes out.

So the interesting decisions are:
Do I attack with Water Elemental or do I patrol it, is 3 damage to base/TechII/Techlab worth something in this position? Better get a card when DeGrey is played?
I need a hero as additional patroller this turn… While I would like to bring out Midori, I don’t think I can afford to let him die, which he will both against DeGrey + Charge and Doubling Barbarian + Charge - maybe Calamandra would be better as it gets me more stats for the same investment and I don’t care if she gets killed?
Then what do I do with the leftover money? Calamandra to Lvl.5 just dies to the same things as on Lvl.3… Maybe tower? Tower might discourage attack by some smaller units, but does nothing against the two options I most fear. I guess floating should be okay as I will probably need the money later on.
[/details]

So, somehow I’m still in this?

So I have three lines that I can see.

1. Kill Calamandra. The only way I can see to do this is to bring out Bombaster, bring out Max Vandy, and cast an expensive charge. That means no worker or anything else, and it will boost one of his units, allowing that unit to kill Vandy in one hit. The remaining damage on the board will take out my Tech II again. The only thing this has going for it is it prevents Behind the Ferns, and it prevents max Cal from taking out my Tech Lab all on her own, or teaming up with a stealthy elemental to take out my Tech II.

2. Summon Max Rook, possibly worker, possibly another unit. This puts the most HP on the board (12 to 15). So if he doesn’t have BtF, it’ll be my safest play.

3. Summon Rook and Vandy as chump blockers, maybe another unit. Build Tech III (which I’ve never done before). This puts only 7 to 10 HP on the front line, but expands my back line. It’s much less likely he’ll be able to break Tech II and Tech III, even if he does have BtF.

I think I’m going with #3 to expand my possibilities, and for the novelty of having a Tech III. Fortune favors the Blood! Or something.
I’m teching in another Zarramonde, and another DG in case he breaks my Tech Lab. (I don’t think he’ll stealth Cal will with only 4 cards in hand, but you never know.)

The hard part is deciding whether to worker or chump patrol with my remaining 2. I don’t want to do both because I’ll go too far down on cards. If I get really lucky, I could draw into TQ+DG, and being able to play Mine or BRO on the same turn would be nice. If I draw into Zarramonde, being able to play him and NDog would also be nice. On the other hand, protecting Tech makes it more likely I’ll be able to actually play what I draw. And if I patrol right, it might make up for it a bit.

And… I drew Zarramonde. It’ll be useless if he breaks my Tech Lab or my Tech III. As long as he kills Vandy along the way, I’ll have another card to work with, too.

I’m kinda hoping he kills my whole line, and Tech III, and I draw into Pillage. I’d love to hit him again this game. This game is too funny.
[/spoiler][/details]

P2T6

TECH

Jefferson DeGrey

STARTING HAND
Mad Man
Bombaster
Charge

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster
Terras Q, the Shackled

NextHand

Nautical Dog
Bloodrage Ogre
Rickety Mine HP

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Skip worker
Summon Vandy - ($9)
Summon Rook - ($7)
Build Tech III - ($2)
Recruit Bombaster - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Garus Rook (2/4+a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bombaster (2/2)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]: Vandy Anadrose, Lv. 1 (2/3, Resist 1)
  • Mythmaking
  • :heart: Tech III HP: 5

• Deck: 9

P1T7

TECH
Guargum, Eternal Sentinel

STARTING HAND
Tiny Basilisk
Moment’s Peace
Blooming Ancient
Merfolk Prospector

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Ironbark Treant
Playful Panda
Merfolk Prospector

NextHand

Might of Leaf and Claw
Dinosize
Rampant Growth
Young Treant

Discard

Galina Glimmer
Forest’s Favor
Tiger Cub
Moment’s Peace
Nature Reclaims
Moment’s Peace
Blooming Ancient

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($12)
Worker - ($11)
Water Elemental attacks Rook dealing 3 damage and taking 2 in return.
Use Argagarg’s midband on Centaur
Centaur kills Rook taking 2(-1armor) damage (Calamandra 3->5). Overpower kills Bombaster, you get 1 gold.
Use Calamandra’s maxband to put a Stalking Tiger into play. - ($7)
Tiny Basilisk - ($5)
Tech III - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Stalking Tiger (4/4+A) [untargetable but attackable, Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Tiny Basilisk (1/2) [Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • Centaur (4/2) + xxx [Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • Argagarg Lvl.5 (1/5)
  • Water Elemental (3/1) xx [Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • Calamandra Lvl.5 (4/5)

• Disc: 10

[details=Thoughts]He’s only been defensive so far and yet there is nothing I can do to finally break him. I still haven’t drawn MoLaC and with Zarramonde as a possibility there is no reason for me to try to play it.
If the 1 card he drew from the deck is a Tech III unit I lose and I have no answer to Terras Q in my next hand either, so I guess I will have to rely on Tiny Basilisk? So I rather not give him any more cards by killing Vandy as I can’t find a way to destroy any of his Tech buildings anyway.

I think I’ll go for the desperation play here and get myself a Stalking Tiger, which threatens Stealthy Dinosize, which should at least be scary enough that he has to expend a lot of resources in dealing with it and a Tiny Basilisk, which also threatens to deal with anything big he puts out.

Which leaves me with guess work as to what to patrol… He hasn’t shown Vandy before, so unless he uses her midband I doubt he has any spells for her. So likely spells are Bloodlust and/or Kidnapping… Kidnapping + DeGrey completely kills my board presence. Bloodlust means I have to use Arg’s midband so Centaur isn’t sitting at 1 HP. So let’s hope this works…

If Argagarg survives, Rampant Growth + Dinosize should allow for big plays though.
[/details]

Wow. I know I was telegraphing big demons pretty hard (and I am now regretting making Demonology my Tech lab, again), but even so, that Tiny Basilisk play was inspired. I went high, he went low. Taking big demons on in a fight is expensive; just poison them. I almost hope he wins this just because this play was so good.

I would love to kill Cal so that the Tiger isn’t invisible. I would love to kill Arg to prevent Dinosize/Stampede. But if Zarramonde doesn’t survive, none of that is even relevant: he has enough damage to wreck my board seven ways from Sunday. So I have to kill the Basilisk to prevent the most unfavorable trade in the history of Codex. Which means I have to give him the technician draw.

That leaves him with 10 gold for, I dunno, double-Dinosize (or other growth spells) on the invisible tiger, which, with Cal stealth, would be enough to take out my base directly (or bring out max Midori to do it next turn if he doesn’t have enough for now). Or he could, say, play Moss Ancient, wrecking all my tech with squirrels and tiger, and putting more weaklings in Z’s way; in that case, I’d better hope my Tech II is still alive and that I draw DeGrey. Or he could just Stampede and kill, like everything. I am so hosed.

I have come to the realization that I am not the hero here. I am the one playing the raid deck. He’s come to my dungeon, he’s been amassing his guild, and it is my job to give him a boss big enough to make it exciting for him. I will do my best.

The big question is what to tech (or not). Decent odds I could lose my Tech II and/or III (assuming I live). And I’m short on Tech I options. I’m only just now realizing how valuable a Kidnapping would have been, and I’m regretting it, so I’m adding that in, even though I’m sure it’s too late. And another Ardra’s Boulder just in case. Good ol’ rock. Nothing beats rock!

If everything doesn’t go to complete hell, my hand’s not bad. If Zarramonde dies between now and then (trading in an attack would be ideal) and I have Tech III, I can play him again. If Tech III is down and Tech II is up, hasty mythical DeGrey (and pillage) is lovely.
[/spoiler][/details]

P2T7

TECH

Kidnapping
Ardra’s Boulder

STARTING HAND
Nautical Dog
Bloodrage Ogre
Rickety Mine HP

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster
Terras Q, the Shackled

NextHand

Pillage
Charge
Mad Man

Discard

Bombaster
Rickety Mine HP
Bloodrage Ogre
Nautical Dog
Kidnapping
Ardra’s Boulder

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Scavenger bonus - ($11)
Skip worker

gggrrrr-RRRRR-RRRRRRROOOWWWLLLLL-LLL-llll

BAH-SSSILLY-ISHK!?!

ZHA-RAH-MOANED HATE BAH-SSILLY-ISHK!!!”

Recruit Zarramonde, the Obliterator, paying 1 to target Tiny Basilisk for destruction; you draw - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Vandy Anadrose, Lv. 1 (2/3+a, Resist 1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Zarramonde, the Obliterator (13/13, includes +2/+2 from Mythmaking, Untargetable, Obliterate 4)
  • Mythmaking

3 Likes

Suddenly I regret killing your Scavenger last turn. Awesome flavor-text. However, the Tiny Basilisk was really beloved by our community of forest-dwellers… And they really don’t take it well that their favorite pet was sucked into oblivion.

P1T8

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Young Treant
Dinosize
Rampant Growth
Might of Leaf and Claw
Galina Glimmer

WORKERS
Verdant Tree
Rich Earth
Spore Shambler
Ironbark Treant
Playful Panda
Merfolk Prospector

NextHand

Blooming Ancient
Nature Reclaims
Moment’s Peace
Moment’s Peace

Discard

Dinosize
Young Treant
Galina Glimmer
Rampant Growth

Tech 0 card(s)
Draw a card from Technician
Get Paid - ($10)
Midori - ($8)
Might of Leaf and Claw (LC) - ($5)
Stalking Tiger kills Vandy taking 2 damage. (Midori 1->3) (LC 1)
Argagarg casts Dinosize on Centaur - ($1)
Water Elemental (3) and Centaur (10) trade with Zarramonde. You get 1 gold. (LC 3)
Argagarg and Calamandra destroy your Tech III building. Your base takes 2 damage. (LC 5)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

• Argagarg Lvl.5 (6/10) [MoLaC]
  • Stalking Tiger (9/7) xx [MoLaC, Invisible, Resist 1 from Calamandra]
  • Calamandra Lvl.5 (9/10) [MoLaC]
  • Midori Lvl.3 (7/8) [MoLaC]
  • Might of Leaf and Claw [5 Growth runes]

• Deck: 5
  • Disc: 4

[details=Thoughts]Surprisingly enough I’m not completely dead because I have so much board, probably was too intimidated in the analysis last turn. Killing the Tech III building should allow MoLaC to survive one turn as he cannot play another Zarramonde. Invisible Tiger + Midori to MaxLevel is lethal next turn regardless of Patrollers unless he builds a Tower in which case I can stealth Calamandra and Tower can only detect one.

So maybe drawing MoLaC so late was lucky after all!
[/details]

1 Like

I need to redo all of my shuffling, as I forgot to draw the card from Technician.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Everything else stays the same.

Note: You killed Drakk twice already this game, so your base is actually at 16, not 18. (Well, 15 after this turn, though I could have made it 5 if I decided to adjust my aim.)

If I leave Cal and Tiger around without a Tower, just putting up patrollers, they kill me with stealth.

If I build a Tower, going down to 14 HP on base, he uses up tower with Tiger, then kills me with Cal and Midori.

If I kill Cal with Drakk’s midband, Charged DeGrey, and Mad Man, he has exactly enough to kill me after taking out Drakk with Arg (without playing any boosts). But this last option is the most stylish.

Final thoughts: I drew my last, 3-card hand. It is DeGrey, Terras Q, and Bloodlust, and I have Drakk on the field. If my esteemed opponent decided to just take a breather for a turn, I would once again have the combo. My deck is laughing at me.
[/spoiler][/details]

P2T8

TECH

Pirate Gang Commander
Pirate Gang Commander

STARTING HAND
Pillage
Mad Man
Charge

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster
Terras Q, the Shackled

NextHand

Jefferson DeGrey
Terras Q, the Shackled
Bloodlust

Discard

Bombaster
Rickety Mine HP
Bloodrage Ogre
Nautical Dog
Kidnapping
Ardra’s Boulder
Pillage
Charge
Mad Man
Pirate Gang Commander
Pirate Gang Commander

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Scavenger bonus - ($11)
Skip worker
Rebuild Tech III
Summon Drakakak, to Lv. 4 - ($6)
Recruit Mad Man - ($5)
Recruit Jefferson DeGrey, Ghostly Diplomat, Legendary Barrister, and Hero of Man (Mad Man, anyway) - ($2)
Drakk casts Pillage, - ($1)
stealing your float, and doing 1 to your base - ($2)
Drakk casts Charge on DeGrey, granting him haste and +1 attack - ($0)
Mad Man runs at Calamandra in a Frenzy, dealing 2 damage before dying
DeGrey uses two Aces in a mythical, frenzied, charged Final Arbiter, taking out Cal with 8 damage, and going to visit Mistress P for a cup of tea; Drakk to max

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Drakk Ramhorn, Lv. 6 (3+1/4) “Come at me, bro!”
  • Mythmaking
  • :heart: Base HP: 16

• Disc: 14

Good game! Extremely well played!

@EricF, @Eijolend has the win, and I’m out of the tourney. (:
It was a blast!

1 Like

Sorry for forgetting about Drakk. That is one of those abilities I often forget about because I’m just so glad to be rid of him. :sweat_smile:

GG! What a tense game!

1 Like