CAWS 2016: ARMed-Pirate ([Blood]/Demon/Strength) vs. petE ([Anarchy]/Strength/Growth)

Go long! How far? (:

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]
I am not psyched about playing against Zane again. That guy is so game-warping. Also, he has a cave troll, er, I mean a Rook. Unfair. And all that growth stuff to slap on his birds, his hasty stealth stuff. And then there’s the rest of his growth units. Ugh. Also, I’ve read a lot of petE’s games. This guy is not messing around.

Not a great starting hand, either. I don’t want to float anything, but my pillage is sub-par without playing the Musketeer (who would die), and especially because he has no gold to steal yet. I don’t want to skip worker. So it’s either summon a hero and put a level into them, or just smack him with a Rambaster. I wish I had Bloodburn in my opening hand. I think that might have been a solid first play.

What is my long-term plan? TQ against Zane is way risky. Same for Demons. He has Taxman for anti-air, though I got lucky so that didn’t stop Eric. I want to push this into a base race I will win. How do I do that?

Max Rook is slow, but he’ll have a hard time killing him before EQ if I go for that. I just don’t think I’ll have time.

He’s got enough defense that he could shut down anything but a great Metamorphosis with a Tower…unless I tech in Thunderclap and Entangling Vines? If I want this, I need to play Rook now, giving me defense for my HH next turn and then Tech I after that (or vice versa).

Or I could just go Blood, also with Thunder/Vines to push through his defense. I’m racing against his Might of Leaf and Claw, so that might be the way to go. More aggressive means trying to take out his Tech II before he can play MoLaC.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Pillage
Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer

WORKERS

Scorch

NextHand

Charge
Nautical Dog
Mad Man
Bloodburn
Bombaster

Discard

Careless Musketeer
Pillage
Bloodrage Ogre

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Recruit Makeshift Rambaster - ($1)
Rambaster bastes your ram for 3

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Makeshift Rambaster
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 5

Sorry; forgot to poke @petE.

GLHF !

P2 Turn1

[details=StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
STARTING HAND
Charge
Nautical Dog
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodburn
Scorch

WORKERS
Bloodburn

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=NextHand][spoiler]
Mad Man
Careless Musketeer
Pillage
Bloodrage Ogre
Bombaster

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Discard][spoiler]
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster
Scorch

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Nautical Dog - ($3)
Zane, to lvl 2 - ($0)
Zane kills Rambaster

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • Zane lvl 2 (2/1)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 6

His deck has a ton of aggressive options that are pretty daunting to face as P2 – can be run over by Crashbarrows, hasted Octopuses, Metamorphosis, Drakk maxband, Terras Q unshackled by DeGrey or Banefire Golem, War Drums etc. I’ll likely end up either playing a Strength tech 2 game for solidity while looking to buff Birds/Barbarians with Dinosize/Chaos Mirror; or alternatively try to play an early (T4) MoLaC using the haste in my deck to activate quickly. Will see how the opening goes, but think that the MoLaC plan will be better. He has no means of removing MoLaC other than Zarramonde (and I’m dead anyway by then if he’s playing that). Also I potentially only need to defend my Tech 2 building against his aggro units for 1 turn – can rely on my Tech 0/1s to activate MoLaC once played, so no disaster to have Tech 2 broken while that happens.

As far as his first turn goes, I’d have been much more worried facing Vandy or Drakk + Nautical Dog. The 3 dmg from Rambaster gets his Base race off to a good start – and suggests a Blood plan to follow (Drakk, Crash Bombers, Crashbarrows, Bugblatters, etc.) Could be he wants to avoid the Terras Q plan due to my Chaos Mirror). But still a bit surprised as he opens himself up to having his $1 float pillaged, his Rambaster trade down against Mad Man, or losing Rambaster to Zane. I’ve a weird opening hand, with 3 spells/upgrades, neither decent 2-drop (Orge, Bombaster), and neither Mad Man nor Pillage to take advantage of this. But I can still take out Rambaster with Zane, while playing Nautical Dog. He’s not the hero I’d ideally open with – Rook would be preferable, with Birds good for offence as well as blocking his Birds/Gargoyles. But losing a 2-cost unit is quite a hit for P1. And I should get an additional value trade or even hero kill next turn, as I can generate as much as 8 atk if I’m willing to delay Tech 1 (maxband Zane + shove damage + Nautical Dog + Mad Man). Maybe I’m being suckered into taking a value route against such an aggressive deck, but will go for it. Zane plus Nautical Dog, with the extra $ leveling Zane to prevent a pillage. He can’t kill Zane next turn without skipping a worker.

[/spoiler][/details]

So, that should have been mostly predictable, though it looks like he got weird draws, too. He didn’t draw pillage. He didn’t draw Rambaster, or he would have just hit me back with his instead of putting money into Zane. He’s obviously afraid of my pillage. I’m guessing his second hand looks something like my first hand.

I was really tired when I took my first turn, and I wish I’d waited to hear Jadiel’s thoughts after my last game. I love swinging with hasty units too much. I realize now that if I’d put out Vandy or Rook, then he’d be the one sweating his lack of defense. A T2 midband Rook could likely swing through any 1-unit patrol he sets up (and that’s what Red likes to leave in place, if anything) to take out his hero, if he didn’t patrol it. Vandy’s maybe scarier, with her ability to fetch and play Shadowblade her second turn, or max and doom a MM. Basically, by Rambasting, I ceded the first-turn pressure machine to him. In response he ceded a tiny bit of economy to me (the chance to get to Tech I built a turn before he does). I have to decide whether to take the pressure back or build up.

Option Pain: Bloodburn is tempting (earlier the better, right?), but it’d just be that and Tech I, and he’d break my Tech I, yes? (Is that so bad? Yes, I think it’s pretty bad.) I guess Bloodburn is my worker.
Option Pain 2: Tower is tempting for the same reason, but he’d either break my Tech I, or break the Tower pretty cheaply, and my investment goes to waste. He could even suicide Zane and Dog into it, not worrying about giving me levels, then pull out Arg or Rook. And if more haste stuff, maybe he could take out both.

Option 100% Aggro: I could totally kill Zane. I’d whip out Drakk, send MM to take out his NDog, and Charge my own NDog into Zane. Two free levels for Drakk. But that’s not enough to get him an extra hitpoint, and he’d then have $7 on his next turn: enough to pull out Arg or Rook and use an expensive Charge on an Ogre to kill Drakk. More importantly, even if he doesn’t, I’d be at 5 workers at the beginning of my T3. He’ll be at 7 at the beginning of his. He’d probably build Tech I at that point. And I’d have a very hard time catching up. Skipping Tech I here is okay, but skipping a worker I have learned repeatedly (the hard way) is not, unless I can take out a Tech building.

The other problem is that Lv. 2 Zane is dangerous. And I really don’t want to give him the Scavenger money, but NDog hits above his weight class, too.

Option Hero: Say I build Tech I, patrol Rook or Vandy in SQL. He maxxes Zane, shoves my hero into Tech or Scav (whatever he wants), takes it out, then gets even more cards or money. Say I try to protect them with a 1-drop in SQL. He’ll just take out the SQL with the shove, then kill the hero. He’d survive any of my heroes in Elite.

• Now, this might not be bad, since the levels would fizzle. I really just want to protect my Tech, as I’m racing to Tech II or a chance to take out his Tech I with Thunderclap and some units.
  • But let’s consider that he might have a MM or Rambaster (likely), or even just his NDog if I don’t kill it. He can then take out a SQL hero with a 3/3 midband Zane, and still survive to max. Now I’m giving him free levels, and that is not okay. Even in Elite, I have to worry about Charge making it possible for him to take out my hero or without Zane lifting a finger. He could, say, Charge his dog just for the extra damage, take out SQL with midband Zane, and slam the Dog into Vandy. If I kill the Dog with MM and put my hero in elite, he’d need a charged 2-drop (4 of his 7 money) to take out my hero cleanly, but then he’d still have enough for Tech I, and Zane would be able to max Zane the following turn.

Option 90% Aggro: Hrmm. I could use Bombaster to take out NDog. 3-for-1 is a pretty uneven trade. MM trades with Zane, and that’s 1-for-3, so we’re back to parity (sure, if you completely ignore his Scav bonus and the 2-cost Rambaster he killed). BUT, I get to worker and have 1 to play with, and he feels like his level in Zane was wasted. Take that! Of course, he could just pillage that 1 if I float it (though it might not be worth it without Zane, and definitely wouldn’t be if he can’t get a pirate into play). If I want to avoid the pillage, I’d have to go down on cards a lot to play an NDog of my own, or build a… Tech Lab? I could always build one for Strength as a feint, to make him think I’m heading for TQ+DG. Heck. DeGrey is good against Arg, so having that option available might not be terrible. I definitely wouldn’t have Tech I next turn, so I might want to skip units this cycle and tech in just spells? (Bloodlust and Thunderclap, maybe?). Or, because I’m going down on cards, I could hope I don’t draw into my Tech I units early? Either way, he’ll have minimal haste to work with, so I’ll be able to get a hero out next turn with Tech I. Maybe a HH, too, if I float and he doesn’t pillage me.

Option Unit Patrol: No matter how I patrol, Zane could easily take out one and NDog the other (one for free if he max-bands). Avoiding the shove means my 1-drops are more valuable hasted into his Dog (Mad Man, then), even if he gets the money (which he’ll get by shoving anyway, if he really wants it). Bombaster and NDog as patrollers? Or Bombaster and kill his NDog with MM? Or NDog and MM patrol, but I build a Tech Lab? Anything short of charge+BRO, and I don’t think he’d be able to take out my Tech I, especially if I ran BBaster in SQL, and either popped his NDog or patrolled my own. Well… If I just patrolled, he could take out BBaster with midband Zane, max to shove the NDog to death, then send his NDog and a Rambaster to take my tech. So his NDog needs to die. But if I just patrol BBaster, he could max to shove it, get it to 1, MM to take it out ($4 spent), take out my Tech with Zane and Rambaster ($6) spent and have 1 to worker. I don’t think he’d do that, because he wants his own Tech I. But it’d be hard for me to do much in response with my own 6$. If I go with this, I think I’d be teching in some combo of Crashbomber, Twilight Baron, Gargoyle, Bloodlust, and Thunderclap. Baron might be better than Gargoyle here, as it actually takes out attackers while hitting base. I don’t like it’s downside, but I’m not sure it’ll survive long to matter.

I think I’m opting for the 90% Aggro option. Kill all heroes and units. Maximum Anarchy! He’ll like that. It steals momentum back to my side, since he won’t have a hasty hero, and Charge becomes too expensive; he’ll drop a defensive hero and build Tech, giving me time to build tech next turn.
So, do I go down on cards to slow my draws and keep pressure up with NDog in Scav or Technician? Do I build a Tech Lab? Do I float and hope for the big build next turn? Going down on cards that far this early seems bad. And if he has MM I’ll likely get the card or the money back, but not both. So nix that. I love the Tech Lab idea, 'cause mindgames. He might be surprised by the eventual Blood choice. But the chance to build a HH next turn (or play something else useful) seems worth the risk of pillage, and I don’t think it’s worth the cost without Zane. So we’ll all float on, okaaaay. And we’ll all float on, all right.

Oh, and, note for the future: Kidnapping will be too expensive this early, but I’ll definitely want it later in the game. He’s going to be dropping tons of stuff I want on my side.

And after the draw… Nuts. No Bloodlust and no Rambaster and no MM. But if I for some dumb reason abandon my perfectly good hero+building plan, this is a great hand to pillage with. I doubt he’ll float anything, but we’ll see.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH

Bloodlust
Thunderclap

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Charge
Bloodburn
Mad Man
Nautical Dog

WORKERS

Scorch
Bloodburn

NextHand

Pillage
Bombaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Recruit Bombaster - ($3)
Bombaster suicides to take our your Dog; you gain $1 - ($2)
Recruit Mad Man - ($1)
Mad Man trades with Zane

Float ($1)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 6
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 6
question for spectators (I'd like to ask ARMed_Pirate too, but that would probably be out of order in an ongoing game):

I’m starting to realise that I’m terrible at this game, so I may be out of order - but isn’t the option he’s just chosen the worst of all worlds? He says it puts the game “back to parity” - but by wiping both boards, surely all he’s done is “reset” the game with petE as player 1, but with all the economy advantages of P2 and an extra card? Isn’t this close to the worst possible outcome?

I guess we’ll see over the next few turns - but the actual outcome, which he chose, looks like more or less the worst of all possible ones to me.

1 Like

P2 Turn2

[details=Tech StartingHand Workers][spoiler]
TECH
Bird’s Nest
Might of Leaf and Claw

STARTING HAND
Careless Musketeer
Mad Man
Bombaster
Bloodrage Ogre
Pillage

WORKERS
Bloodburn
Pillage

[/spoiler][/details]

Bombaster
Mad Man
Careless Musketeer
Charge
Scorch

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + scav - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Rook - ($4)
Bloodrage Ogre - ($2)
Tech 1 - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Rook lvl 1 (2/4 + 1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:

• :heart: Base HP: 17
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

• Deck: 4
  • Workers: 7

I hadn’t spotted Bombaster suiciding as a way to open for a Zane kill. But that was still an expensive play for him, leaves me pretty well a whole move ahead, and he’s even down a card. I also get to put down a strong board of Rook + Ogre, so will have no problem defending a Tech 2 if I build it on T3.

Growth is the natural choice from here, as it snowballs really fast and is very hard to stop from behind. If I build my Tech 2 on T3, then I’ve ~75% or 50% chance of playing a strong Growth unit (eg MoLaC, Blooming Ancient) on T4 depending on whether I tech in 2 of them this turn or 1 plus a useful Tech 1 unit (eg Bird’s Nest). (nb in my last turn’s comment I wrote about playing an early T4 MoLaC – had meant to write T5 then, but T4 is now in fact possible).

Worth considering what surprises he could throw to stop me running away with this game. I’m not worried about a Blood plan any more, think that doesn’t work when you’re behind. He may gamble on working a 2-hero Metamorphosis, earliest possible would be T5. He get $14 in the next two turns, take off $6 for maxband Vandy and $2 for Heroes Hall leaves $6 to spend (+ any scavenger bonuses he can get) – possibly 2 cheap defenders in addition to workers and Tech 1 (though he could go all-in a try skipping those). So can’t be too complacent about this, and could risk missing a Vandy kill by spending $7 on Tech 2 + MoLaC neither of which gives me immediate firepower. Think I’d stilll be fine, may just need to play maxband Zane instead as my T4 move for the hasty attack. Another possibility is that I get unlucky in the timing of when I draw my Tech 2 units, so he manages to build Tech 2 and play a Voidblocker. That really slows down the speed with which I can activate MoLaC. Birds are great to have in that situation, bypass the blocker, and many ways to buff to take out heroes or tech buildings. Finally, Terras Q plus DeGrey or Banefire Golem – just don’t think he’ll have the time for this.

For these reasons the techs I like best for this turn are Bird’s Nest + MoLaC, rather than 2 Tech 2 units. The dream draw is Birds in the T3 hand and MoLaC T4 – I’d likely activate MoLaC on T4 and kill the game immediately. Drawing MoLaC in the T3 hand is not so strong, but I still get the Birds in the air this cycle, and can use T4 to maxband either Zane for immediate attack or Argagarg for a large board setting up a Stampede or MoLaC activation T5/T6. Let’s go for that.

After the draw…I get both teched cards in my T4 hand. Not the dream draw – but get the Birds out this cycle and can play MoLaC T4 (though no same-turn activation). Though may still need T4 for maxband Zane instead if he goes all-in for Metamorphosis.

[/spoiler][/details]

Response

Yeah, I personally would have traded Mad Man for Dog, then built Tech 1 and stuck Rook in SQL

So that’s a pretty good defense set-up he’s got, with option for offense. I’m thinking about copying it, actually. Of course, if I put Rook in SQL, he’ll kill him for the levels, trading BRO and and hitting with Rook (or maybe something Charged, though unlikely), then leveling Rook for 2 and the heal. If I switch it up, he’d have a harder time taking out the 3/3 BRO, and that would keep my own Rook alive.

Now I could just put out 1 patroller (BRO or Vandy, say), and build Tech I and HH. But then I risk him breaking Tech I. He could trade his own BRO, then Rook + Rambaster does the job. Playing this way is a gamble that he doesn’t have Rambaster. The upside is that if I put my patroller in Scav, I’d be able to afford two heroes and two spells. But Bloodlusted Drakk and Rook aren’t going to do much against his midband Rook in SQL if he doesn’t go after my Tech. I’ve also realized that his own Birds do just as well to get MoLaC online as anything else. Yuck.

I could Bombaster again, giving him money again, and leaving my Tech I exposed to Rook+Rambaster. I don’ think that’s smart.

I have to think hard about what I want to actually do next turn. Well, I’m going to have 7 workers, so $7. I’m going to want to spend 5 of that on worker+Tech II. (Again, Yuck.) Because the turn after I’ll want to have a chance to draw my Tech II (which I should start teching now, and I need to decide what it’ll be). Or I need to go hardcore into a hero strat, either EQ or Meta.

If I’m going heroes: I’m not sure how I should play it. The downside to Meta is maxxing Vandy, boosting his already hard-hitting units. So I don’ t know the best way to protect her and take advantage of that against Red’s aggression + Rook’s defense. I should stick with my plan of rushing to Tech II. That means I need patrollers to protect my Tech I.

If Rook is my patrolling hero, he will probably survive. If I draw Thunderclap, I might be able to smack his Rook or Tech, but I won’t be able to play my haste stuff and still play Tech II. Might be worth it if I also draw Rambaster and MM. Not sure.
Do I want Rook in Scav or Techn just in case? I’m down on cards, but more money next turn could be really helpful. Well, if Rook’s dead, then I’ll only really need money to protect my Tech II. And I’d need cards to do that, too; I could see drawing into Bloodlust and Charge and Thunderclap and NDog. I need to remember that Bloodlust can be used for killing his 1-hp units, too. Enh. I’m down on cards. For once, let’s do the correct thing and patrol to make up for that.

I think I’m workering Bombaster. It’s done it’s job. And the possibility of stealing gold or directly hitting a building might be important later. I think this is a stupid decision on my part, but I yam what I yam.

I’m teching in… Kidnapping? This game moves into late midgame fast, so maybe I’ll want to steal something as soon as I can. And… Crashbarrow? Glider? I’ll do the barrow. I’m still hoping Thunderclap+Crashbarrow will happen at some point for super-favorable trades.

Next turn not looking great, really. Maybe just MM and NDog or Rambaster as patrollers?
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T3

TECH

Kidnapping
Crashbarrow

STARTING HAND
Bombaster
Pillage
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer

WORKERS

Scorch
Bloodburn
Bombaster

NextHand

Nautical Dog
Bloodlust
Makeshift Rambaster
Mad Man

Discard

Careless Musketeer
Pillage
Kidnapping
Crashbarrow

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Build Tech I - ($4)
Recruit BRo - ($2)
Summon Garus Rook - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2+a)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]: Rook, Lv. 1 (2/4)

• Deck: 2
  • Disc: 4
  • Workers: 7

[details=Answers to ARMed_PIrate’s questions][quote=“ARMed_PIrate, post:8, topic:1722”]
I think I’m workering Bombaster. It’s done it’s job. And the possibility of stealing gold or directly hitting a building might be important later. I think this is a stupid decision on my part, but I yam what I yam.

I’m teching in… Kidnapping? This game moves into late midgame fast, so maybe I’ll want to steal something as soon as I can. And… Crashbarrow? Glider? I’ll do the barrow. I’m still hoping Thunderclap+Crashbarrow will happen at some point for super-favorable trades.
[/quote]

Just to head off any future game errors:

Pillage can only hit the opponent’s Base

Overpower only works when attacking a patoller

[/details]

1 Like

P2 Turn3

TECH
Surprise Attack
Chaos Mirror

STARTING HAND
Scorch
Charge
Mad Man
Careless Musketeer
Bombaster

WORKERS
Bloodburn
Pillage
Scorch

[/spoiler][/details]

Nautical Dog
Bird’s Nest
Makeshift Rambaster
Careless Musketeer
Might of Leaf and Claw

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Bombaster - ($4)
Tech 2 Growth - ($0)
Ogres trade

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 4, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bombaster (2/2 + 1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Rook lvl 1 (2/4 + 1)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

• Deck: 5
  • Workers: 8

Continue as planned building Tech 2 Growth, with MoLaC next turn (barring something crazy I haven’t thought of). For the short cycle coming up, am teching in Surprise Attack for MoLaC activation and Chaos Mirror for Terras Q (could come out T5).

[/spoiler][/details]

So, if he’s real smart, he teched them MoLaCs early, and one’s coming out this turn along with an attacking Zane and anything on his field I didn’t kill. I’m realizing how simple his gameplan is to set up: survive to Tech II, get it in play, use Zane+red starter+maybe birds or whatevs and go nuts.
I don’t think there’s much I can do this turn to stop that.

If he didn’t tech MoLaC early, then it’s unlikely to have been drawn in his next hand. That gives me next turn to take out his Tech II somehow. But if I were him, I would then just spend 8 to put out a max Arg and a Heroes’ Hall, to put a lot of presence on the board (more than I can kill), and set up for Zane+MoLaC+attack the next. It might be the best play in any case. The longer the game goes on, the more advantage he has, no? So maybe I should tech in 2x Glider and pray for the god-draw to break his Tech II before MoLaC hits.

If he’s planning on pulling out Arg, and/or Birds, then I should consider spending 1 on a Tech Lab for Strength this turn and tech in DeGrey. If he’s just planning on relying on Zane+Sharks, then DG will do nothing. In that case, more Crashbarrow will help me take out his attackers, maybe before MoLaC activates? Damn I wish I was running Future. How do other specs deal with Upgrades? I’d much rather have MoLaC in Tech II than Bloodburn in Tech 0 (for the same cost). There’s no way to turn it off once it’s started. Obviously, with my deck, I made a lot of misplays from Turn 1; I didn’t focus on his endgame and defeating it. If I’d just played defensively and rushed to Tech II, 2x Glider, 2x Barrow, maybe 2x Crash Bomber before that, I might have had the firepower to stop him.

I’m also thinking of another Kidnapping, depending on how it interacts with MoLaC. What’s the definition of “your units” in Codex? Those you own, or those you control?
It might not matter with his MM and Rambaster available to pop out as 6-attackers (and sharks as 8-atk each). Kidnapping won’t stop them from wrecking me fresh.

So… 2x Glider or Barrow+DG? There’s already a Thunderclap in there which would do some of DG’s job, re: opening up his Tech II to attack. But Rook would have to survive.

I considered taking out his SQL with Rook and MM, but that opens up my Tech II to destruction by his Rook and Zane. More likely, I patrol Rook in Scav and Dog in Tech, or vice versa. (Worker MM?)

I think I’m starting to get some ideas on how my deck should work in certain situations (making this a successful match!). In this match-up, I think I should have been starting with Vandy, getting her to midband and fetching Dark Pacts as soon as possible, and using those to make sure I drew into my gliders later, and more frequently. Blue (with Quince) and Black (Garth) seem to be better at that, either with copies or Garth maxband/Graveyard. My deck has 3 great heroes, and it can apply a lot of pressure if I do it right (though $ forces me to choose what kind of pressure: Vandy, Birds, or Frenzy), but it’s pretty short on answers. My answers to flyers: Uh… my own flyers, trading? My answers to opposing upgrades: Uh… try to break tech buildings before they can upgrade? My answers to opposing heroes: Uh… try to kill heroes before they can gain levels? Bloodlust them for 1 direct damage? At least Kidnapping is an answer to big units; it just doesn’t stop hasted 6/7s or 8/6s from hitting me in the face.

Hrrmmmm… It’s not too late to go TQ+DG. It’s not a good idea with Chaos Mirror around, but he’ll be teching Sharks and MoLaCs, and maybe units… So maybe CM won’t be around? It would be a lot more exciting than whiffing on double glider, then pulling them out just when his units are too big to hurt. But, of course, if I whiff on DeGrey, his Warlocks all become 5/6. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Worst plan ever. And if I play NDog or he doesn’t kill my Scav, I wouldn’t have enough money to play both. Plus it makes my Crashbarrow useless.
Double Glider it is, I think.

I’m hoping that either Rook is still alive and I draw Glider (with Thunderclap and Crashbarrow, should be able to push through enough to take out Tech II), or, if Rook dies, I’ll have $10, and I’m hoping I draw Glider+Musketeer. I could max Drakk, poke tech II for 1 with fast Musketeer, then Frenzy Glider for the other 4. Or double Glider.

I can’t count on him killing my technician, so I have to draw exactly what I need. If Rook is alive, I calculate getting Barrow + Glider or Glider x2 at 3/28 (less than 1/9). If Rook is dead, the chances of getting at least 1 Glider are 13/28, a bit less than 50%. Not great, Bob. And I weight the chances of him killing Rook (or even noticing he exists) at 20%. All totaled, I’m getting maybe an 18% chance of this working.

And… Haha. Nope. No units. If he kills my dog, I could Bloodlust a Glider. But I think I’m done.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T4

TECH

Shoddy Glider
Shoddy Glider

STARTING HAND
Bloodlust
Nautical Dog
Mad Man
Makeshift Rambaster

WORKERS

Scorch
Bloodburn
Bombaster
Mad Man

NextHand

Charge
Pillage
Thunderclap
Bloodlust

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Recruit Nautical Dog - ($5)
Build Tech II (BLOOD) - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 2

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Rook, Lv. 1 (2/4)
  • :exhaust: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)

• Deck: 6
1 Like

[details=Question]
@EricF I think the answer to this question is clear, but could I double check please? If I have MoLaC activated and my opponent kidnaps one of my units, does the opponent get the benefit of the +5/+5? I presume the answer is that the unit temporarily loses the +5/+5 while under opponent’s control, since MoLaC card specifies that the +5/+5 applies to “your units and heroes” and the rulebook clarifies that “your units” means those you own not those you control.
[/details]

Response

Yes, MoLaC works the way you think it does.

2 Likes

P2 Turn4

TECH
Surprise Attack
Giant Panda

STARTING HAND
Nautical Dog
Bird’s Nest
Makeshift Rambaster
Might of Leaf and Claw
Careless Musketeer

WORKERS
Bloodburn
Pillage
Scorch

[/spoiler][/details]

Charge
Chaos Mirror
Mad Man
Surprise Attack

[/spoiler][/details]

[details=Discard][spoiler]
Bombaster
Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster
Surprise Attack
Giant Panda

[/spoiler][/details]
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Might of Leaf and Claw - ($5)
Bird’s Nest, summon Birds - ($3)
Argagarg, summon Wisp - ($1)
Nautical Dog - ($0)
Rook and Bombaster kill your Rook, my Rook to lvl 3, 2 runes on MoLaC, you gain $1
Skip worker

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Argagarg lvl 1 (1/3 + 1)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Bird #1 (2/1)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Bird #2 (1/1)
  • Might of Leaf and Claw [2 runes]
  • Bird’s Nest
  • Rook lvl 3 (2/2)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

• Deck: 1
  • Disc: 5

Skipping a worker, that way I get to play MoLaC and Birds as well as Argagarg/Wisp + Nautical Dog to block up the patrol zone. For my next turn I’ll also be drawing from a hasty set of 5 cards – including Sharks + Mad Man with my $8 enough to pay for both as well as Zane. If he gets the draws to break through my patrol zone (eg 2xCrashbarrows, or Crashbarrow + Octopus + Drakk + Bloodlust), then the technician draw guarantees me the 5 card hand. Think with ideal draws he can do at most 10 damage to my Base this turn, taking it to 7HP, but from then onwards I can limit hits to 1s from Drakk or Crash Bomber kills, and should be able to win the Base race in 1 or 2 turns. He can slow me down by casting Bloodlust on my Birds, but providing I keep Rook they’ll come back.

[/spoiler][/details]

Looks like he had MoLaC after all. And I should have built that Tech Lab, not that it mattered, with my draws. And I should have put Rook in Technician.
Ironically, if I’d just pushed for DG+TQ from the beginning (say Rook in SQL from the beginning), I think I might have had a shot, but then he might well have played very differently.

Here’s the Hail Mary. I should probably just be bloodlusting his birds to death, and playing defensively, but… This is more fun. Legally, I need to make my techs before I do that, so, here’s to DeGrey and another Dark Pact, as if the game will go on that long, or I’ll have the money for a Tech Lab.
[/spoiler][/details]

P1T5

TECH

Jefferson DeGrey, Ghostly Diplomat
Dark Pact

STARTING HAND
Thunderclap
Charge
Pillage
Bloodlust
Makeshift Rambaster
Crashbarrow

WORKERS

Scorch
Bloodburn
Bombaster
Mad Man

NextHand

Careless Musketeer
Shoddy Glider
Bloodlust
Shoddy Glider
Kidnapping

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($9)
Scavenger bonus - ($10)
Summon Drakk - ($8)
Summon Vandy - ($6)
Drakk casts Bloodlust on himself and Vandy - ($4)
Drakk swings at Arg for armor and 1, taking 1
Naughty Dog trades with Arg; Vandy Midbands
Vandy exhausts to fetch Dark Pact - ($3)
Vandy casts Dark Pact, my base takes 2, I draw 2

Discard&Draw

Discarded Pillage. Drew Makeshift Rambaster and Crashbarrow

Recruit Crashbarrow - ($0)
Crashbarrow takes out your wisp and dog; here’s an extra money and card to make your next turn splatastic!
Skip worker
Drakk and Vandy take another damage each from Bloodlust
My base is undefended. Do you have Sharks and MM to finish me off this turn?

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 4, reshuffle, draw 1

• Drakk Rammedhorned, Lv. 1, (1/1)
  • Vandy Gonnadie, Lv. 3, (3/3, Resist 1)
  • :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)

• Deck: 9

You can’t exhaust Vandy on the turn she arrives.

Hopefully you can re-set everything to the start of your turn, and do something different.

Um… Can I truly not? I thought being able to exhaust (whether for abilities or attacking) was the whole point of Haste, as granted by, say, Bloodlust?

5 Likes

Ah, ok. I missed the bloodlust-on-vandy to not attack. I guess your turn is legal.

P2 Turn5

[details=StartingHand][spoiler]
STARTING HAND
Charge
Chaos Mirror
Mad Man
Surprise Attack
Bloodrage Ogre (Technician draw)

[/spoiler][/details]

Get Paid + scav - ($9)
Zane - ($7)
Surprise Attack - ($2)
Mad Man - ($1)

Zane and 2 Sharks deal 8 dmg to your Base, MoLaC activated
Rook, 2 Birds and Mad Man break your Base

GG!
@EricF

Everyone told me
Not to stroll on that beach…

Seriously, @petE, well-played. I think I honestly lost on T1, or definitely after my T2.
I’m proud of myself for the analysis I did matching up with yours… just often one to two turns after yours. (:

I’m still very new to this game, and taking out @EricF in my game one was something of a fluke, I think. (I got lucky that he didn’t draw into his Taxman at a crucial juncture, allowing the birds and Gargoyle to go nuts.) I also made one solid plan there and stuck to it, whereas, in this game, I think I was all over the place, teching spells that would have been much stronger with a HH in play, and teching units that didn’t need the spells.

As I noted in my last few thoughts, I’m impressed with your deck and how fast it can get going on MoLaC. If the opponent has answer, you can just push for gunships, but you have so many ways to trigger MoLaC once it’s out that it’s hard to stop.

I like how your rules question was the same one I had. I’m going to make it public now. (:

@robinz You’re absolutely right that the T2 option I chose was probably the worst thing I could have done. I tried to indicate that I was being sarcastic when I said “at parity.” (: Sometimes I have a perverse need to do what will surprise the opponent instead of thinking long-term towards the endgame or even self-preservation. (See my Mirror/Mirror experiment against @CesareB for another example, and my last match against @Jadiel.) But I can’t tell you how satisfying it was just now to go back and read @petE’s thoughts and see him say, “He can’t kill Zane next turn without skipping a worker.” That was basically better than winning for me. (:

Seriously, this game and the one against @Jadiel have been really wonderful learning experiences. (The one against @EricF, too, just to really demonstrate how PPA works.) I’m super-glad I entered the tournament, even though I was literally sick and tired for most of it (got hit by the OP combo of 1-yr-old + 2-wk cold). Thanks @EricF, for organizing! I guess I still get another game, so I’m looking forward to it!

3 Likes