19XX once more

As a big finish to 2020’s Yomi year, I’m running a 19XX tournament. Same rules as IYL except for banning the top 4 characters (Troq, Zane, Geiger, and Degrey). I plan to start November 8th or so. @vengefulpickle could you help me with running the bracket? Signups here, please.

I’m in. I’ll be playing Quince.

2 Likes

You don’t have to commit to a character upfront. Basically it’s just standard counterpick with the top 4 characters banned

As always count me in.

2 Likes

After some discussion w/ @Nopethebard, we’ve decided to combine this w/ the tournament idea most recently voted for in Poll: Tournament Planning (UPDATED!) - #30 by vengefulpickle (namely, Fast Timer). So, this’ll be a Fast Timer Two-Phase 19xx tournament (that is, a round-robin, followed by a single elim, only fast-timer mode, Troq, Zane, Geiger, Degrey banned).

2 Likes

Oh, I’d also note that this isn’t an official 19XX (unless it gets blessed by @mysticjuicer, so there is currently no steam gift money on the line, nor do you get naming rights for the next official 19XX). If you want an official 19XX with all the perks, you’ll have to get @mysticjuicer to sign off. :grin: As always, I’d be happy to admin.

2 Likes

Signups

• Nopethebard
  • Kathandu
  • Caralad
  • Vengefulpickle
  • Owlflame
  • ratxt1
  • Ivan
  • Cypher
2 Likes

I’m in! Troq is a top 4 character?

2 Likes

Yes. He and Zane are top 2

I’ll sign up

2 Likes

I haven’t played fast timer for a while - sign me in.

2 Likes

Ah, so this is the off-brand 19XX that we got from Wish. Awesome! I’m really no good at Fast Timer, so that’s all the more reason to force myself to play it.

Sign me up!

5 Likes

Challonge is up: 19XX Season 1 - Challonge

@Nopethebard: You didn’t specify, except to say IYL format, so I assume that the round-robin stage is Bo5, and finals will be Bo7?

That’s right

vengefulpickle vs @Owlflame
3-0

All :setsuki: vs :menelker:

Game 1, I get to recur Qs a bunch, and do the usual Sets high-damage combos. Game 2 seemed like @Owlflame was working with an awkward hand, and I was able to just outspeed Mene’s moves. Game 3 had more give and take. My attacks got dodged, I pulled off one 72AA for a good chunk of life, and then I stumbled into poking out a DSD completely unintentionally. (My kids were maybe waking up when he got AA off a Gold Burst, so watching for DSD had completely slipped my mind). Game would have ended very differently if he’d dodged into it or played it raw a turn or two earlier into my throws.

GGs, @Owlflame!

3 Likes

ratxt1 vs @Caralad
:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:grave: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:

4 Likes

Cypher vs. @Nopethebard

Game Cypher Nopethebard
Round 1 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
Round 2 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
Round 3 :persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
Round 4 :midori: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:

Cypher wins, 3:1

• Game 1 I started by verbally confirming with my opponent that it’s fast-timer… and then immediately forgetting that it was fast-timer. So I picked Persephone. Like a crazy person. Of course, I hit Rook’s K with a Mistress’s Command turn 1, look at his hand, play a Stone Wall block from it… and then immediately time out, running my 2 attack into his block. What a way to start the day. Never give up, though! After starting a vortex by hitting his Checkmate Buster with an On Your Knees, I manage to keep it going long enough to get the lock where my 2 into OYK checkmates his hand. I win the way Persephone loves to, and I learn some valuable information: it is a fast-timer tournament.

• Game 2 was harder, with some good reads on both sides. I manage to throw every single one of his (many) attempts at Blackjack, and weaponize Nopethebard’s own salt against them. This dude abhors Persephone, so I stick to yomi layer one the entire game. I make a misplay on the penultimate turn, missing a powerup for that second Ace I need for a lethal combo (fast-timer is hard). Fortunately, my mixup normal draws me into a pumpable J (also, Nope concedes before I have a change to play out the combo, anyways).

• Game 3 was fun but straightforward, and sees some very solid Vendetta play from Nopethebard. I never draw a joker, and my opponent hits me with some Massive Damage to win the game with a very comfortable life lead.

• Game 4 I switch back to my OG main, Midori, figuring it’s a good matchup. I block a lot for a ginormous hand size, which translates into a Final Dragon Buster. I make a bad judgement call to not power up for the 4th Ace when I can (I’ll do it later!) so I miss the opportunity for a guaranteed post-dodge AAAA when it comes up (I just get the AAA). After that, it’s a pretty good back-and-forth with a tense end-game that could go anybody’s way. I recur Midori’s Q a lot, but Nopethebard is good at disarming it. Eventually, I gracefully exit Dragon Form trying to normal-throw for the win… but it doesn’t work! Thank the heavens I topdeck a 10, so I’m able to Glimpse of the Dragon my (sixth?) Q of the match to beat out Vendetta’s Surgical Strike for the win.

Very good games and well played, Nopethebard! Excellent (if extremely stressful) set!

4 Likes

Reminder for those (like me, supposedly a TO!) that this is a Fast Timer tournament, not a mid-timer. Sorry, @Owlflame, I forgot for our set (although it was over so fast that I’m not sure either of us really saw much timer pressure anyway).

Ivan vs Caralad - 3:2
:grave: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
Very tense and fun set. Even on fast timer it took around 40 mins.
Thanks fort the games, man. GGS!

3 Likes