19XX once more

Yes. He and Zane are top 2

I’ll sign up

2 Likes

I haven’t played fast timer for a while - sign me in.

2 Likes

Ah, so this is the off-brand 19XX that we got from Wish. Awesome! I’m really no good at Fast Timer, so that’s all the more reason to force myself to play it.

Sign me up!

5 Likes

Challonge is up: 19XX Season 1 - Challonge

@Nopethebard: You didn’t specify, except to say IYL format, so I assume that the round-robin stage is Bo5, and finals will be Bo7?

That’s right

vengefulpickle vs @Owlflame
3-0

All :setsuki: vs :menelker:

Game 1, I get to recur Qs a bunch, and do the usual Sets high-damage combos. Game 2 seemed like @Owlflame was working with an awkward hand, and I was able to just outspeed Mene’s moves. Game 3 had more give and take. My attacks got dodged, I pulled off one 72AA for a good chunk of life, and then I stumbled into poking out a DSD completely unintentionally. (My kids were maybe waking up when he got AA off a Gold Burst, so watching for DSD had completely slipped my mind). Game would have ended very differently if he’d dodged into it or played it raw a turn or two earlier into my throws.

GGs, @Owlflame!

3 Likes

ratxt1 vs @Caralad
:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:grave: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:

4 Likes

Cypher vs. @Nopethebard

Game Cypher Nopethebard
Round 1 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
Round 2 :persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
Round 3 :persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :vendetta:
Round 4 :midori: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:

Cypher wins, 3:1

• Game 1 I started by verbally confirming with my opponent that it’s fast-timer… and then immediately forgetting that it was fast-timer. So I picked Persephone. Like a crazy person. Of course, I hit Rook’s K with a Mistress’s Command turn 1, look at his hand, play a Stone Wall block from it… and then immediately time out, running my 2 attack into his block. What a way to start the day. Never give up, though! After starting a vortex by hitting his Checkmate Buster with an On Your Knees, I manage to keep it going long enough to get the lock where my 2 into OYK checkmates his hand. I win the way Persephone loves to, and I learn some valuable information: it is a fast-timer tournament.

• Game 2 was harder, with some good reads on both sides. I manage to throw every single one of his (many) attempts at Blackjack, and weaponize Nopethebard’s own salt against them. This dude abhors Persephone, so I stick to yomi layer one the entire game. I make a misplay on the penultimate turn, missing a powerup for that second Ace I need for a lethal combo (fast-timer is hard). Fortunately, my mixup normal draws me into a pumpable J (also, Nope concedes before I have a change to play out the combo, anyways).

• Game 3 was fun but straightforward, and sees some very solid Vendetta play from Nopethebard. I never draw a joker, and my opponent hits me with some Massive Damage to win the game with a very comfortable life lead.

• Game 4 I switch back to my OG main, Midori, figuring it’s a good matchup. I block a lot for a ginormous hand size, which translates into a Final Dragon Buster. I make a bad judgement call to not power up for the 4th Ace when I can (I’ll do it later!) so I miss the opportunity for a guaranteed post-dodge AAAA when it comes up (I just get the AAA). After that, it’s a pretty good back-and-forth with a tense end-game that could go anybody’s way. I recur Midori’s Q a lot, but Nopethebard is good at disarming it. Eventually, I gracefully exit Dragon Form trying to normal-throw for the win… but it doesn’t work! Thank the heavens I topdeck a 10, so I’m able to Glimpse of the Dragon my (sixth?) Q of the match to beat out Vendetta’s Surgical Strike for the win.

Very good games and well played, Nopethebard! Excellent (if extremely stressful) set!

4 Likes

Reminder for those (like me, supposedly a TO!) that this is a Fast Timer tournament, not a mid-timer. Sorry, @Owlflame, I forgot for our set (although it was over so fast that I’m not sure either of us really saw much timer pressure anyway).

Ivan vs Caralad - 3:2
:grave: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
Very tense and fun set. Even on fast timer it took around 40 mins.
Thanks fort the games, man. GGS!

3 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @ratxt1

3-0

The video is short (~18 minutes) if you want to watch the set without spoilers: 19XX Season 1 vs ratxt1 - YouTube

Details

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::persephone: - @ratxt1 opens with a bold fast-timer persephone. The deck delivers me all the right cards, and I’m able to score the perfect.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave: - An early TPoS into Single A into A/A clash brings the game to 1 - 81. Yet again, the deck delivers everything I could have possibly wanted, and proves that Sets is stupid dangerous no matter how low her life total is.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave: - No perfects, no magic pixels, just a regular old Grave/Sets punchup.

1 Like

Caralad vs @Nopethebard

:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

G2 was the only game that I felt in control of, both other ones were too close for comfort, including being down to 7 health looking at least a known AA in rooks hand. Yikes.

GG’s Nope.

4 Likes

vengefulpickle 3-1 @Ivan

:setsuki::pschip::psfist::jaina: - Got wrecked. Don’t think I won combat a single time.
:lum:psfist::pschip::jaina: - Came down to a PF on 3 life - 4 life.
:lum::psfist::pschip::valerie: - Got lots of recurring face cards, was able to bully w/ Q and out-of-combat damage.
:lum::psfist::pschip::onimaru: - Down to the wire again.

Whew! That was a fun set. My heart was racing through the entirety of the Lum portions. GGs!

3 Likes

vengefulpickle 3-2 @Nopethebard

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook:
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::rook: - A blowout. Got got by AAAA
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::rook: - Down to the wire
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::vendetta:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::vendetta: - The crutch comes out

I couldn’t face the idea of Lum/Rook sets, so I went with the Arg pick… it was touch and go. GGs, @Nopethebard!

2 Likes

Caralad vs @Cypher

:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :onimaru:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:

Highlight is the comeback in game 4. I go down to 1 HP, and the Guile theme just intensifies. Hit the AAA but can’t follow it up with the last A in my hand because I’m on 9hp. Manage to just block next turn for the delayed Deathstrike Drugs.

GG’s Cypher. You played really well.

3 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @Caralad

:lum::pschip::psfist::grave:
:lum::psfist::pschip::grave:
:lum::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::argagarg:

4 Likes

Ivan vs Cypher - 3:2
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:gloria: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
GGs, mate. Great tense set.

3 Likes

NopetheBard beats Ivan 3-1

:chibigwen: > :chibimenelker:
Accidental counterpick. Menelker fell to Gwen’s pressure
:chibigwen: > :chibimidori:
This got kinda dicey but Gwen’s speed and relentless aggression won the day
:chibigwen: < :chibimidori:
:chibilum: > :chibimidori:
This came very close. Lots of bad dice rolls early on and Dragon pressure is scary. I was able to rally with a single K I kept recurring and came back. I eventually won with KD Pandamonium checkmate

GGs @Ivan! That was hype

3 Likes